2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
241 - 260 of 273 Posts
I got this installed today, I left the letters the grey and painted the rest gloss black .
Looks sweet!

I would fear for the letters though, as that grey "primer" paint scratches really easily. Like, really easily. At least mine did...

I painted mine with SEM brand Trim Black, letters and all. Haven't yet installed mine though, as I am preparing for a move. Also, I plan on wiring up an emergency-style LED strobe controller to the LEDs, with a toggle switch to choose between solid-on or emergency strobe effect. Why make anything in life simple? :D

Attachments

Reactions: Liptmr1
I saw a regular F-150 today with one of these Raptor grills today and thought the truck looked nice since it had that matte black paint job and nice big tires, i actually thought it was an F-150 Raptor at first glance...Then I looked at it again when I was walking back from getting coffee and noticed they didn't change the letters out, they left it the way it comes with the "DODD".

Not sure if they noticed it and didn't feel like going through the trouble of replacing the letters or they just installed it and didn't really notice that it doesn't say "FORD". Not sure I'd go through the trouble of ordering one these and that long install process to drive around with it misspelled like that.

I saw a regular F-150 today with one of these Raptor grills today and thought the truck looked nice since it had that matte black paint job and nice big tires, i actually thought it was an F-150 Raptor at first glance...Then I looked at it again when I was walking back from getting coffee and noticed they didn't change the letters out, they left it the way it comes with the "DODD".

Not sure if they noticed it and didn't feel like going through the trouble of replacing the letters or they just installed it and didn't really notice that it doesn't say "FORD". Not sure I'd go through the trouble of ordering one these and that long install process to drive around with it misspelled like that.
Talk about a train wreck! I'm pretty sure they noticed. I mean, how could you not notice something like that?!

It's because the OEM Raptors have a matte black paint job, that I've opted to not clear coat mine - even though I'm itching to...

The effort and work everybody has done is really paying off. The grilles look fantastic. And with the new Ford Edge ST coming out, I’m leaning towards the honeycomb grille without the Ford letters and no lights.

Taking off the front bumper doesn’t intimidate me at all.

My big question is why do all the honeycomb grilles I see online have that large flat piece of plastic coming off the bottom? I included a picture as reference to what I’m talking about.

Attachments

The effort and work everybody has done is really paying off. The grilles look fantastic. And with the new Ford Edge ST coming out, I’m leaning towards the honeycomb grille without the Ford letters and no lights.

My big question is why do all the honeycomb grilles I see online have that large flat piece of plastic coming off the bottom? I included a picture as reference to what I’m talking about.
Ah, nevermind. I see that the honeycomb style consists of the reinforcement piece plus the upper grille. You have to add the chrome trim ring it appears.

First time around took me forever cause I was doing it by myself then gave up at the very end because it was raining and at night. My second attempt went by very fast cause I knew exactly what I needed to do and I had a friend help. Taking the grill off is really annoying, but very doable.

A power drill and a proper set helps save a ton of time.

The pictures make it look really confusing but i can guarantee you ti does not pop out like you think, it fits flush with the bumper

I am not a modern plasti-chrome fan. I just did the Raptor style grill painted body color (black). Total cost was about $625 installed (purchase, shipped, painted and installed). That said I am not impressed with the color of the LEDs. Otherwise it looks good. I did have issues with the grill from the standpoint that they send some wrong letters.
They ended up sending me a complete new set of letters. I now have an extra set of FORR with the O and an R being the wrong size.

So I have one of the popular ones from China. I roughed it up by hand with steel wool, then washed and rinsed it and applied 4 coats of matte flat black Trim & Bumper paint (Rust-Oleum). It came out very nice, but I chickened out on the install. Includes letters which are screwed on, lights, and light cable to gang them all together to cut in on DR lights. The amber lights are out for this photo as it was after painting. You pay shipping, make me an offer.

When they were available this is the Amazon MotorFansClub version. Fits 2017 & 2018 Ford Escapes.

So I have one of the popular ones from China. I roughed it up by hand with steel wool, then washed and rinsed it and applied 4 coats of matte flat black Trim & Bumper paint (Rust-Oleum). It came out very nice, but I chickened out on the install. Includes letters which are screwed on, lights, and light cable to gang them all together to cut in on DR lights. The amber lights are out for this photo as it was after painting. You pay shipping, make me an offer.

When they were available this is the Amazon MotorFansClub version. Fits 2017 & 2018 Ford Escapes.

View attachment 74998
I merged your thread with this existing thread on tue same topic.

241 - 260 of 273 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.