2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post is my real world experience comparing 2020 FE vs 2020 Highlander (same on 2019+ Rav4) Dynamic Cruise Control and Lane Keep/Centering Assist features. FYI I will be referring to DCC and LKA even though the naming maybe a bit different between the two. For the record I put about 20k miles with Toyota's DCC and LKA and just under 1k miles with Ford Escape. Although I am still learning Ford's behavior I could tell immediately Ford's acts aggressively at times where Toyota approach is more conservative.

Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC)

Ford:
  • Holds speed when going down the hill with no car ahead of you
  • Accelerates faster or more natural from a complete stop
  • 4 bars of adjustment in terms of length
  • Comes to a complete stop a bit too close for my liking regardless of the bar setting
  • Doesn't stop if the car ahead is fully stopped (I haven't figured if it's also speed dependent but it's generally nature of the beast)
Toyota:
  • Does not hold speed when going down the hill with no car ahead of you
  • Accelerates very slow from a complete stop
  • 3 bars of distance adjustments, can't get too close even with 1 bar
  • In stop and go traffic allows for too much space in between of cars (haven't tested in FE)
  • Comes to a complete stop too far out but I prefer that
  • Doesn't stop if the car ahead is fully stopped unless it's under 30 miles, but it does apply emergency brake which happened to me when I thought it would stop
Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

Ford:
  • Handles curves better and feels more confident with staying in the lane
  • Aggressive with steering at times, I haven't looked if there is a setting, but it certainly much quicker to react
  • You can feel choppy micro adjustments, but it's not a deal breaker
  • Pleasant beeps
Toyota:
  • Doesn't handle curves that well, gives up too soon, doesn't give a feeling that it will make it, best for semi straight roads
  • Smooth steering, you don't feel any micro adjustments
  • Horrible beep sound, in the city it's annoying to use where lane marking break all the time
  • Water bottle hack works (haven't tested with FE)
The controls on the steering wheel for Ford and Toyota are in the opposite ends and actually on the left side where Ford has it turned out a perfect location because you can rest your arm on the door and make adjustments easily at the same time while holding with one hand.

While I use both and both will do the job, Ford's approach is more polished and my preferred option, it just feels more natural and confident. Toyota on the other hand can be enhanced using $1k upgrade with comma.ai where Ford Escape is not listed in the supported list.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add one other major improvement for Ford's DCC where it actually holds speed going down the semi steep hill with no car ahead of you and Toyota doesn't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In stop-and-go traffic, how long does Toyota can be stopped before it can resume on its own? I think its 3 seconds on Ford

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same 3 seconds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Highlander has hill assist but that's whole another feature that lets you crawl downhill you can't go 60 mph downhill with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts