2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a complete how to? I have the headlights out, wheel arches, wheel well bolts and all the bolts on the underside I can see but it still won't come off.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting Markboris. The pictures help a lot. I need to replace mine and I am wondering about removal of the front grill in the picture. I tried, but there are some clips that I can't seem to figure out, or else there is something that I'm missing.

Thanks for the help
Trina

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You need to replace what? The front bumper? You don't need to remove the grill to replace the front bumper. The grill comes off with it. However, if you want to just remove the grill (as I did to paint some of the trim pieces) there are 5 retainer nuts on the back side of the grill holding it on to the bumper cover that need to be removed first. You need to remove the top cover shown below. They are not super easy to get to but it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to replace the bumper also. Though I think I'm not naming the proper part. Looks like from your pics, the grill is the part around the Ford emblem? I mean lower down in the next bigger black section. Ugg I need to buy a darn service manual. Is there a digital copy online somewhere?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Ok, so the lower section, below the grill, that big black horizontal piece that the license plate attaches to, just pulls off. There is one retainer underneath and then you just start pulling at one end and it snaps off. However, it is just a trim covering part of the bumper. I am not sure about online service manuals for the 2014 Escape. Usually they are a year or two behind. I have the Ford factory service manual/wiring diagrams that you can buy on a CD. It is not cheap ($170) but it is worth if for me since I rip apart most things in the car to mod or customize what I want. Here is the link to the factory manuals: Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am assuming you mean the front bumper cover. I am including the photos of the removal process from the Ford Escape Workshop Manual. I also included the photo of removing the fender moulding but I think you already did that. I am thinking the reason the cover is not coming off is because you may have not yet removed the three hidden bolts inside the fender opening in figure #9. If you want the photos of removing the front bumper, let me know and I can post those.
If you've got any other pictures, I'd love to see...I've removed all the bolts from those diagrams and still can't seem to get the bumper off.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I will be pulling my bumper cover off next weekend to install a CXRacing intercooler and I will take some photos for you.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I will be pulling my bumper cover off next weekend to install a CXRacing intercooler and I will take some photos for you.
I was just going to PM you a message about the intercooler. I'm also purchasing an aftermarket intercooler as well and it'll be interesting to see what you find as you put yours on. :)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
As promised, here are some photos when I removed the bumper cover yesterday. After you follow the photos in post 2 of this thread that are from the Ford 2014 Escape manual, there are some clips or retainers (whatever you want to call them) that keep the cover in place so it will not just fall off after you do remove all the screws.

Where the cover fits up against the front fender, there are two retainers. These come up through holes between the three screws you removed inside the fender. You just push those retainers to one side and the cover releases from the fender. Next there are little retainers under the headlamp assembly and little slots at the top of the cover that fit in there. Just lift up on the cover and they unsnap from those retainers. Last and I am not sure you even need to do this one as it was not mentioned in the manual, there are two retainers behind the black trim piece that covers the middle of the bumper. First remove the small push retainer on the underside then that black trim just pulls off (unsnaps). I put a flat blade screwdriver in there and pushed down on the retainer. However, since this step was not mentioned in the manual, I am thinking that the cover would come off by just pulling on it and those retainers would just unsnap themselves.

Let me know if you have any more questions on removing this cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm curious to see your experience with the intercooler. I am on the fence between FSWerks and CX Racing. The first difference is the charge tubing is included in the CX setup--and I like that and the quality looks good.

Currently have the FSwerks Cool Flo/Cobb filter paired to a custom magnaflow exhaust. That along with the 91 Tune from Torrey and this thing is starting to show some potential--FMIC time.

Keep us updated!

As promised, here are some photos when I removed the bumper cover yesterday. After you follow the photos in post 2 of this thread that are from the Ford 2014 Escape manual, there are some clips or retainers (whatever you want to call them) that keep the cover in place so it will not just fall off after you do remove all the screws.

Where the cover fits up against the front fender, there are two retainers. These come up through holes between the three screws you removed inside the fender. You just push those retainers to one side and the cover releases from the fender. Next there are little retainers under the headlamp assembly and little slots at the top of the cover that fit in there. Just lift up on the cover and they unsnap from those retainers. Last and I am not sure you even need to do this one as it was not mentioned in the manual, there are two retainers behind the black trim piece that covers the middle of the bumper. First remove the small push retainer on the underside then that black trim just pulls off (unsnaps). I put a flat blade screwdriver in there and pushed down on the retainer. However, since this step was not mentioned in the manual, I am thinking that the cover would come off by just pulling on it and those retainers would just unsnap themselves.

Let me know if you have any more questions on removing this cover.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I'm curious to see your experience with the intercooler. I am on the fence between FSWerks and CX Racing. The first difference is the charge tubing is included in the CX setup--and I like that and the quality looks good.

Currently have the FSwerks Cool Flo/Cobb filter paired to a custom magnaflow exhaust. That along with the 91 Tune from Torrey and this thing is starting to show some potential--FMIC time.

Keep us updated!
How could have I missed this update!

I was also going to purchase the FSWerks intercooler kit as well but asking around the Focus ST forums some claim that the FSWerks intercooler is purchased from CX Racing. In fact a other major Focus ST aftermarket intercooler makers have also admitted that they use CX Racing's intercooler cores.

I thought CX Racing was some kind of Ebay company but they're really rising up in status. The fact is that the quickest Ford Focus ST uses a CX Racing core which is impressive. Not to mention that the CX Racing intercooler kit is cheaper, comes with all the intercooler charge piping, and was made for the Escape. I think they're now selling the kit for under $400 on Ebay.

I'm thinking about buying the CX Racing kit next week when I receive my next check. I called yesterday just to make sure that they had some kits left and the answer was yes. I'm guessing the kit isn't selling as well as they thought so they lowered the price. Better get them while they're still around. I also had my sparkplugs coming in. The only thing left is a tune after next week.. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
How could have I missed this update!

I was also going to purchase the FSWerks intercooler kit as well but asking around the Focus ST forums some claim that the FSWerks intercooler is purchased from CX Racing. In fact a other major Focus ST aftermarket intercooler makers have also admitted that they use CX Racing's intercooler cores.

I thought CX Racing was some kind of Ebay company but they're really rising up in status. The fact is that the quickest Ford Focus ST uses a CX Racing core which is impressive. Not to mention that the CX Racing intercooler kit is cheaper, comes with all the intercooler charge piping, and was made for the Escape. I think they're now selling the kit for under $400 on Ebay.

I'm thinking about buying the CX Racing kit next week when I receive my next check. I called yesterday just to make sure that they had some kits left and the answer was yes. I'm guessing the kit isn't selling as well as they thought so they lowered the price. Better get them while they're still around. I also had my sparkplugs coming in. The only thing left is a tune after next week.. :D

I had no idea on which plugs to get so you helped me out there. I need the cooler ones when I hit 24 PSI! I run Torque OBD (for Android) with a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle. I have been logging since I loaded the tune. Torrey didn't disappoint on tune 1.0.

He's working my e30 blend map now--time for corn power!

Downpipe is next after FMIC and rear lower motor mount. Mount on the way from FSWerks and will be installed this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I had no idea on which plugs to get so you helped me out there. I need the cooler ones when I hit 24 PSI! I run Torque OBD (for Android) with a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle. I have been logging since I loaded the tune. Torrey didn't disappoint on tune 1.0.
I'm glad. I remember you saying that you got the tune from Torrie but I didn't know just how big he was when it came to the Ecoboost world. He's pretty much tuner #1 when it comes to remote tunes like you had.

I'm surprised that Torrie didn't tell you to get colder plugs since the Ford ST guys say that's one of the main recommendations Torrie gives to them. If you get some plugs I would tell Torrie and maybe give you a retune. I also read that our turbo has basically pass it limit at 25 psi so when you hit 24 you better record it. I want to hear that turbo spool. >:D

Downpipe is next after FMIC and rear lower motor mount. Mount on the way from FSWerks and will be installed this weekend.
Does the downpipe for the Focus ST work on our cars as well? Well it hook up to your exhaust?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts

Keep us updated!
Well, I put the intercooler in last weekend and and before I could really test it out, I went on a holiday here in Kauai. I did make sure the car actually ran though. There were no instructions that came with the kit and after process of elimination, it was easy to figure out what pipes went where. However, I would have liked it if the rubber couplings where a little longer than a few inches. You have to really make sure all piping is exactly where it needs to be. I had to re-bend the lower mount brackets it came with a little differently so the intercooler was a bit higher and then made my own brackets for the top part of the core to mount to the bumper (after drilling holes in it). It came with some brackets that I believer were for the upper mounting but could not figure out where they would have gone as they did not fit anywhere. I am very use to improvising anyway so I didn't care that no instructions were provided. I could go into more detail but like I said, I am on a holiday and just noticed I was quoted so thought I would reply. A few photos. First one with the original intercooler, second showing the brackets I reshaped, third with the upper brackets I made and fourth a quick shot of underneath.

Attachments

Reactions: Tanat and Hitokiri

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, I put the intercooler in last weekend and and before I could really test it out, I went on a holiday here in Kauai. I did make sure the car actually ran though. There were no instructions that came with the kit and after process of elimination, it was easy to figure out what pipes went where. However, I would have liked it if the rubber couplings where a little longer than a few inches. You have to really make sure all piping is exactly where it needs to be. I had to re-bend the lower mount brackets it came with a little differently so the intercooler was a bit higher and then made my own brackets for the top part of the core to mount to the bumper (after drilling holes in it). It came with some brackets that I believer were for the upper mounting but could not figure out where they would have gone as they did not fit anywhere. I am very use to improvising anyway so I didn't care that no instructions were provided. I could go into more detail but like I said, I am on a holiday and just noticed I was quoted so thought I would reply. A few photos. First one with the original intercooler, second showing the brackets I reshaped, third with the upper brackets I made and fourth a quick shot of underneath.

Looks mighty good! Other than the above,no issues? Stock sensor everything cool? Did Throttle response change? Are you tuned? If so, I bet you feel a bump in cooler charge temps! Enjoy your holiday!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm glad. I remember you saying that you got the tune from Torrie but I didn't know just how big he was when it came to the Ecoboost world. He's pretty much tuner #1 when it comes to remote tunes like you had.

I'm surprised that Torrie didn't tell you to get colder plugs since the Ford ST guys say that's one of the main recommendations Torrie gives to them. If you get some plugs I would tell Torrie and maybe give you a retune. I also read that our turbo has basically pass it limit at 25 psi so when you hit 24 you better record it. I want to hear that turbo spool. >:D

>>That's why I am logging! I also have a 300+ WHP Miata with NOS! :)

Does the downpipe for the Focus ST work on our cars as well? Well it hook up to your exhaust?

>>TBD... It's my next endeavor. Going to drive to FSWorks and see if it's close. If it's just hangars (which I bet will be the case) You can have an exhaust shop cut them off and re-weld them to the DP. With my 2.5 exhaust, a DP would be a great addition. I'd go 3 inch with a turbo upgrade & that's more than likely not so far off...

>>Off Topic:
I've asked to have my WOT shift points changed upwards by 250 rpm from 6500 to 6750 and firmed up a bit. I'll let you know what Torrey says about this. As you can see in the attached image the 2.0 FEs are capable of hitting 60 at the top of second! I'm betting that by trading a little power at the top of second gear that the FE would be .2-.4 faster on the 0-60 scamper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Looks mighty good! Other than the above,no issues? Stock sensor everything cool? Did Throttle response change? Are you tuned? If so, I bet you feel a bump in cooler charge temps! Enjoy your holiday!
Like I said, I did not drive it much, only about a couple of miles to make sure it all worked ok. Didn't get on it or anything. I am tuned, Livernois 91 performance. Plus I have a Magnaflo exhaust cat back system, CAI pipe, K&N air filter and one range cooler Denso ITV22 spark plugs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like I said, I did not drive it much, only about a couple of miles to make sure it all worked ok. Didn't get on it or anything. I am tuned, Livernois 91 performance. Plus I have a Magnaflo exhaust cat back system, CAI pipe, K&N air filter and one range cooler Denso ITV22 spark plugs.

Excellent. So in a way, we both are comparable on most vs. the open filter on the intake (I have mine foam sealed around the box but with the Cobb open ended one) to suck in air from the wheel well. I suggest you convert to the open ended one. You'll be amazed at the difference a little change can make.

No opinion about Livernois, I just know the Focus guys were using SCT and Torrey was the master. So--I went that route.

I can't wait to hear your experiences...Mine is on the way.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts