2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm planning to replace the front grille on my 2017 Plat.

Has anyone done this? Am I in for the knuckle-bleeding nightmare I think I am?

I searched and saw the front emblem threads but found nothing on front grilles ...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Replacing stock silver with black version. Probably do the roof rack too.
Do you mean the grille with blacked out sections on the Sport Appearance package or the all black one from the base S?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean the grille with blacked out sections on the Sport Appearance package or the all black one from the base S?
All black S. The Ford parts system isn't very descriptive, they ordered me the only grille that mentioned black. It arrived and was the wrong grille (Sports package with chrome edges). The only way to find the correct part# for the all black grille is to use an S model VIN. The all black grille is just called a mesh grille.

It's also half the price of the Sports grille ($620), so I got a nice refund to use on something else.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wish I could answer your question about installation. It was easy to remove grille on my truck because most of the clips let you work your way down from the top. I'd suggest just setting aside some time next week to pop into the service dept one day for 20 minutes and just get one of them to show you quick

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could answer your question about installation. It was easy to remove grille on my truck because most of the clips let you work your way down from the top. I'd suggest just setting aside some time next week to pop into the service dept one day for 20 minutes and just get one of them to show you quick
My F150s were always easy to work on cause you can see the fasteners. Everything is hidden in the Escape except the six plastic retainers on top and two corner screws. The sides and bottom have a series of funky tabs that I hope slip into slots easily. But nothing is ever easy. Hope I don't have to remove layers of other stuff to get to the grille. When I pick up the grille this week I'll ask the service dept for their advice.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
FWIW the '13-'15 manual shows
+ remove hood latch mechanism
+ remove the panel that closes the gap between the top of the bumper cover and the radiator
+ remove screw-clips holding the grille from the back

reverse to install

Maybe the same for the '17 ?

Reactions: rahrena8690

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW the '13-'15 manual shows
+ remove hood latch mechanism
+ remove the panel that closes the gap between the top of the bumper cover and the radiator
+ remove screw-clips holding the grille from the back

reverse to install

Maybe the same for the '17 ?
Is that from an owner's manual or shop manual?

Any pics?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Many times when I get the actual part in hand it will become evident how to remove the old part.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Is that from an owner's manual or shop manual?

Any pics?
Motorcraft workshop manual which is copyrighted. Full of descriptive pics, exact location of all fasteners and shows the type of each. You know, the one you said in another thread isn't worth the subscription fee.

;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Motorcraft workshop manual which is copyrighted. Full of descriptive pics, exact location of all fasteners and shows the type of each. You know, the one you said in another thread isn't worth the subscription fee.

;)
Yeah, 30 bucks for 72 hours is a ripoff. Haynes manuals never cost that much ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If this is from the shop manual, pics from it are not allowed to be posted because it is copyrighted information.
So is the owner's manual, but you cut and paste and reproduce that content freely.

It says inside the front cover:

No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, stored in a retrieval system or translated into any language in any form by any means without our written permission. Errors and omissions excepted.
© Ford Motor Company 2016
See? I just did it myself ... lol

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
So is the owner's manual, but you cut and paste and reproduce that content freely....
I do not think you will find "reproductions" (pics, PDF pages) of any manuals on this forum, they do a pretty good job of protecting intellectual property here. If/when you create original work of your own you'll appreciate that. Maybe a few things 'slipped through' in the early days of the forum and are buried here somewhere.

Paraphrasing (restating in your own words or format) the factual content of a manual does not violate a copyright; nor does clipping/posting short text excerpts (such as your asinine example) verbatim when they are not complete of the subject, but you must accurately cite the source document from which the excerpt is extracted.

Posting pics, pics of pages, PDF of pages, etc DOES violate a copyright because the copyright protects the "the way things are expressed", which includes the exact presentation, layout, format, etc of fact data.

Start here for more education https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

"What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

Reactions: tenorsaxdude

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,520 Posts
The '17 front end is completely different from the '13-'16s.....don't think the procedure would be the same.....

Check post # 9 in this thread for instructions for the 2013-2015 Escapes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts