2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Fuel pump angry noise? Maybe?

15K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Adam_czar 
#1 ·
Hello. 2016 SE 1.6, 17k miles. Noticed that when I go to start the FE when the key reaches the ON position there is a loud buzz sound from the rear of the car. Seems to me like it sounds like the fuel pump that is powering up but it doesn't sound happy, much louder than a normal fuel pump kicking on noise . If you cycle the key several times it gets normal sounding/quiet again. Seems to only happen if it sits for several days or more which the car does often. I did search on here and google but all I can find is the farting type noise from the fuel filler area and thats not similar to what I'm experiencing. The FE is still under the 3 year/36k warranty until next June but I'm sure it'll be one of those things they either "cant duplicate" or "sounds normal" if I take it to the dealer. The FE exhibits no other problems, no trouble codes/lights, drives normally. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have stuck my finger into the gas filler and haven't noticed any pressure escaping so I doubt its a EVAP issue.

#3 ·
Thanks. I'll take a look underneath to make sure those clips are intact and the lines are clipped correctly. Id imagine with it being a '16 it would have the correct/updated ones....who knows. I'll try to see if i can duplicate the sound it makes later today and record/video it. Seems like it has to sit for a day or two until being started up to make it happen.

#4 ·
I realized that it makes the noise just by opening the drivers door without turning the ignition on. Its like something is waking up but it's not always noticeable. I managed to catch it on my phone video.......watch and see what you all think it is. Only about 10 seconds long.

#10 ·
Mine does the exact same thing. Open either driver or passenger front door!!! I’ve taken many videos of the sounds. Dealership sat on it for months (discussing with FORD engineers supposedly). They replaced the fuel pump. Stopped for about 3 months and now has returned. It’s the fuel pump making the noise but something else is tripping the pump to make the noise!!!

#5 ·
I think I have it nailed down. Had a Ford Tech friend stop over this morning (nice to have a friend!) and he said it sounds like the low pressure fuel pump inside the tank. Thinks the check valve is failing and the noise is the pump trying to move air before it gets re-primed with fuel after a second. The fuel system apparently does prime when you open the doors. That would explain why I could only recreate the noise after the vehicle sat for a long time like overnight.

I'll get it over to the dealer for a repair soon. Fortunately as I mentioned it is still under warranty with only 17k miles and in service date of 5-31-16.

#7 ·
The sound has since quieted itself down quite substantially. I believe that since it had been sitting since May before I bought nearly on an empty tank of gas the pump and check valve just needed some exercise with a full tank of fuel. After running a couple tanks through it it seems to have corrected itself.

#8 ·
2018 Escape SE. Since day 1 makes a bizarre noise (coming from the back of the vehicle) when you open either front door. After many discussions with the dealership service advisors, mechanics and service manager and reviewing video footage (as they didn’t believe me) they diagnosed it as the fuel pump. I believe it’s electrical however I’m no mechanic so they replaced the fuel pump (warranty). No noises for about 6 months however the noises are back, louder and more often (in parking lots I’ve had people turn and look and even comment). Vehicle needs to sit until all the electrical shuts down (about 5-6 minutes after turning vehicle off) and once you open a front door the sound will go off most times. Hoping to find some answers as they have NO idea what to do! Vehicle runs perfectly. Gas consumption is normal

#9 ·
Did you ever figure this issue out? My car has been making this noice forever and Ford can not figure it out. Honestly the noise is so obnoxious that I might call corporate and see if they can exchange my vehicle in if they can’t figure this issue out. My car makes the exact same noise just like someone posted earlier in a video. But they said it was the fuel valve. The only issue about that is I have already replaced the fuel valve and it still makes the noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.