2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I have a 2014 Titanium Escape and I have a bad gas smell in the cabin. It seems to happen when running errands (short trips), when I am stuck in traffic or when I am sitting in my car with it running. I have had it to my dealership 3 times now and they claim they cannot smell it. I have had passengers in my vehicle and they notice it. Any ideas??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had it in 3 times and they claim they cannot find or smell anything. Thought I'd try here, maybe someone could help or point me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Is it a raw gasoline smell or a burning smell?

If it is a burning smell a lot of owners seem to have it, but very few dealership personnel will acknowledge it.

Go figure.

---

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not top off the tank. That was the first suggestion from my Ford guys, but even before they said that, I never topped it off.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hello -

I have a 2014 Titanium Escape and I have a bad gas smell in the cabin. It seems to happen when running errands (short trips), when I am stuck in traffic or when I am sitting in my car with it running. I have had it to my dealership 3 times now and they claim they cannot smell it. I have had passengers in my vehicle and they notice it. Any ideas??
Welcome to the forum, steinbach1077!

My name is Tricia, and I’m your U.S. Ford Customer Service rep. I’ll like to get this escalated. Please private message (PM) your full name, VIN, dealer name, mileage, and best daytime phone number.

Have you looked into seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer?

Once this info is received, I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Gas fumes I would not hesitate brining to the dealer.
Do you top off the tank when you fill it? If so, try not doing that and seeing if it goes away.
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great advice/suggestions.

Have a wonderful evening! :)

Tricia

·
Registered
982 Posts
One thing it may be, these FE's are known to give off an odd odor when idling for a while that does have a chemical type smell (the newer the vehicle, the stronger the odor). For me, the more coating from my muffler that has baked off, the less the smell.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've gotten the raw gas smell a a time or two. But I don't really think much of it, because my old Forester reeked of raw gas all the time, and I never once burned to death.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I've gotten the raw gas smell a a time or two. But I don't really think much of it, because my old Forester reeked of raw gas all the time, and I never once burned to death.

Well, if you did it would only be once. ;)

Glad you didn't!

---

·
Registered
18 Posts
We will follow this thread as we are having the exact problem.We took it into the dealership and they actually acknowledged the raw gas smell (I don't think they got a big shot of smell like we get occasionally), but can not pinpoint the origin.We have a 2014 Escape Titanium 4WD with 2.0L ecoboost. We experience the smell much like you do short trips and stop.We turn off the hvac if we are going to start the car again soon the smell comes into the cabin from there.The smell will dissipate if it sets for a while before restarting. Right now we are trying to time the interval between shutting off and turning on the engine that has the most smell. We don't usually Idle in traffic to much but have noticed the smell then as well now that you mention it.Ours has never been topped of while filling either, the book was pretty explicit about that when we purchased it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I experienced this strong fuel smell in my Escape 1.6 this week.

I was making a wide quick turn in the parking lot at work to find a spot to park. I could immediately smell the gas inside the vehicle. After I parked and got out near the rear wheel well the smell of fuel seemed to be strong. I opened the gas hatch but didn't see any gas. There must be a vent near the fuel tank? I'm thinking the quick wide turn allowed the gas to slosh sideways in the tank and spill or vent out?

btw, I only had half a tank of gas

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK..our 2014 has 4000 lms on it, with 2 trips back to the dealer and not fixed..We both get headaches, and feel dizzy driving the Escape..Ford says no fix..What to do with this vehicle??? Trade it, get money back??? The 2009 we owned before had zero issues in 99,000 kms..this one is a off to a real bad start in our books..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steinbach1077:
We may have the same car our build date was 9-13 at Louisville. Our dealer suspects that it is something in the evaporative emission system apparently the system is pressurized. They wonder if something is sticking open.They did smoke test and pressure tests so far.The smell is worse sometimes than others is yours like that? I am thinking about purchasing a gas sniffer to try to track it down on a day when the smell is bad.We are still trying to track the severity of the smell with trip time and time from shut off to start.Our vehicle has 10500 miles so far First time we got a real bad dose of the gas smell was in California this summer about 5000 miles and car was idling while we were checking out the Redwoods, Problem seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Also We can smell gas outside as well more prevalent on the passenger side after we shut the car down.Keep us all up to date on your progress, we have an open ticket for 1 month on our car and will keep working and notify you all if we find something.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
We will follow this thread as we are having the exact problem.We took it into the dealership and they actually acknowledged the raw gas smell (I don't think they got a big shot of smell like we get occasionally), but can not pinpoint the origin.We have a 2014 Escape Titanium 4WD with 2.0L ecoboost. We experience the smell much like you do short trips and stop.We turn off the hvac if we are going to start the car again soon the smell comes into the cabin from there.The smell will dissipate if it sets for a while before restarting. Right now we are trying to time the interval between shutting off and turning on the engine that has the most smell. We don't usually Idle in traffic to much but have noticed the smell then as well now that you mention it.Ours has never been topped of while filling either, the book was pretty explicit about that when we purchased it.
OK..our 2014 has 4000 lms on it, with 2 trips back to the dealer and not fixed..We both get headaches, and feel dizzy driving the Escape..Ford says no fix..What to do with this vehicle??? Trade it, get money back??? The 2009 we owned before had zero issues in 99,000 kms..this one is a off to a real bad start in our books..
I experienced this strong fuel smell in my Escape 1.6 this week.

I was making a wide quick turn in the parking lot at work to find a spot to park. I could immediately smell the gas inside the vehicle. After I parked and got out near the rear wheel well the smell of fuel seemed to be strong. I opened the gas hatch but didn't see any gas. There must be a vent near the fuel tank? I'm thinking the quick wide turn allowed the gas to slosh sideways in the tank and spill or vent out?

btw, I only had half a tank of gas
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give MaPaChoo and Stanley a big warm welcome!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service rep. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns. I’ll like to get all of your concerns escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer name, mileage, and best daytime phone number.

Once this info is received, you’ll be connected to a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Are you located in Canada, Stanley? If so, don’t hesitate to reach out to my FordServiceCA colleagues and private message (PM) them the requested info above. They’ll be happy to lend a hand! You can contact them here.

Have a great day! :D

Tricia

·
Registered
2 Posts
check into dealer service bulletin; SSM 44580 if it is an all wheel drive vehicle, transmission fluid leak from right side power transfer unit (PTU) if it is leaking replace right hand intermediate shaft seal using the 7H426 seal.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Well this stinks, literally. My FE just turned over 15K miles and on the way to work this morning I stopped at the grocery store and when I came out and started up the car I got the strong raw gas smell. I was in the grocery store about 5 minutes. There was about a half a tank of gas. Then on my way home from work I stopped to gas up and when I started up the car I had the raw gas smell again. Not as strong as the first time but it was still there. I sure hope this doesn't become a continuing problem like has been reported in this thread. :(

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks..sent them an e-mail..
You're welcome, Stanley.

Your FordServiceCA reps will be in contact with you shortly! :)

check into dealer service bulletin; SSM 44580 if it is an all wheel drive vehicle, transmission fluid leak from right side power transfer unit (PTU) if it is leaking replace right hand intermediate shaft seal using the 7H426 seal.
Bob62,

Thanks for being a team player, and providing suggestions.

Well this stinks, literally. My FE just turned over 15K miles and on the way to work this morning I stopped at the grocery store and when I came out and started up the car I got the strong raw gas smell. I was in the grocery store about 5 minutes. There was about a half a tank of gas. Then on my way home from work I stopped to gas up and when I started up the car I had the raw gas smell again. Not as strong as the first time but it was still there. I sure hope this doesn't become a continuing problem like has been reported in this thread. :(
Hello mn_escape,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM me the requested info in post # 16, and I‘ll get the ball rolling on my end.

Have a great day! :D

Tricia

1 - 20 of 365 Posts