2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not hard of you work on cars now. Just disassembly of the wipers and wiper area black plastic cover.
The gas smell would come after driving a bit like around town shopping when the Escape was stopped. Never on the 1st start of the day or afternoon.
I sent you a PM just read that and reply.

Phil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Huge shout out to ndccpf1 and providing me the instructions on how to replace the PCV Hose. Bought the new hose for $16 from the local dealer and following the instructions it took me less than 30 minutes to put it in. The old hose was so bad that the hose was loose from the piece that was connected to the motor. I can literally pull them easily apart. Pretty sure that this will take care of my fuel smell issue and maybe improve gas mileage a little bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Coming in late to this thread, but I've also recently been smelling gas in the cabin of my 2013 Titanium 2.0L Escape. I bought the car used about 2 years ago (now has about 70k miles) and didn't notice the smell until a couple of months ago. Thanks for all the good information in this thread. I just ordered the new PCV hose and will try to install it myself. Sounds like it's not that difficult (good thing!). We'll see how the install goes and if it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw this and was hoping to get the instructions too. The smell is pretty bad. Dangerous I am guessing.

"Huge shout out to @ndccpf1 and providing me the instructions on how to replace the PCV Hose. Bought the new hose for $16 from the local dealer and following the instructions it took me less than 30 minutes to put it in. The old hose was so bad that the hose was loose from the piece that was connected to the motor. I can literally pull them easily apart. Pretty sure that this will take care of my fuel smell issue and maybe improve gas mileage a little bit."

Hops
Central Coast of CA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replaced my PCV hose today. Will see how the smell is and if MPG changes (for the better).
One tip is to add masking tape on the windshield at the ends of each wiper blade with a line-up mark in their OFF position BEFORE you remove the wiper arms.

And when done and re-attaching the wiper arms, I found better to do when car is running to keep the wiper motor (each is separate motor) spindles energized which helps on alignment.
Thanks for this tip!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I get an exhaust-type smell in the cabin of my 2016 Ford Escape. I guess it could be described as a gasoline smell or burnt toast smell like others have stated. It's driving me crazy. My first dealership said they couldn't detect it.

Now my Escape is at another dealership and they're saying the exact same thing; that they cannot smell anything. It's not a very strong smell but it is definitely noticeable. It's often intermittent and comes and goes in 20 minute intervals. I noticed it happens only when the heat is on (it doesn't happen when A/C is on). Plus, I notice it only happens if the air is coming from the outside. When I select recirculate, it does not happen. So that tells me the cause is located somewhere outside.

Unfortunately my recirculate doesn't stay on all the time. My recirculate automatically shuts off by itself after 20 minutes, whenever my defrosters are turned on. I can actually tell if my recirculate is on/off by my nose. When I smell "the smell" I know my recirculate switch is turned off. Then it's time to turn it on again...

I'm very very concerned that the smell is something dangerous. I'm concerned that constant exposure to it could be detrimental to my health. I'm worried about getting lung cancer from constant exposure. If the dealership guys can't help me out, then I probably have no other choice than to sell the vehicle. I don't want to, but my health is too important.

By the way, I read the TBS and it doesn't apply to 2016 Escapes. Maybe the 2016 Escapes are left out because it was printed in 2015. But if that's the case, then you think that Ford would have made the PVC change to production for the subsequent years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is an older post but wanted to add my two cents. The 2015 Escape SE 2.0L that I just bought was emitting a gassy kind of smell sometimes - the worst time I noticed it was after I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting an animal in the road, oddly - so I bought the part from the dealership and had a local trusted shop change it (two reasons for this: 1. The local Ford dealership is the Devil and 2. I am lazy lmao). The first thing I noticed is the difference in the actual hose itself. The original hose was made of heavy rubber with cheapy looking connections on it, and the replacement hose is made completely of light plastic material. I'm not convinced that it's going to last very long at all and am a bit disappointed to see that the quality looks worse rather than better with this being a known issue. But I guess we will see if the mileage, rough idle, and gas smell improves having that done. It was only just done today so I haven't really tested it out as much as I would like, but so far it does seem to be doing better.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes I replaced my hose too but you will notice on the OLD rubber OEM style you can pull the connector ends right off the hose itself with very little force. Easily allowing fumes to leak out.
New one seems "flimsy" granted but sealing for vapors is the new design style.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gas smell in the cabin

Hello...
I have a 2013 escape. 120000 miles with a gas smell I can not get rid of. My mechanic has replaced a lot of filters and parts. Had some relief but not 100%
Any suggestions?
Sid Gordon

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Hello...
I have a 2013 escape. 120000 miles with a gas smell I can not get rid of. My mechanic has replaced a lot of filters and parts. Had some relief but not 100%
Any suggestions?
Sid Gordon
Lots of folks, including myself, have had this issue.

First thing you need to do is tell us your vehicle specs. See mine below in my signature?

Then visit this post, especially post #35 and #36 . It shows the part number. Be advised the “D” at the end of the part number has been updated to a later letter in the alphabet. Doesn’t really matter, it would still work. Just means a later or updated production of the same part.

https://www.fordescape.org/forum/en.../40649-potential-evap-system-nightmare-4.html

You should read the whole thread, and print out the pertinent pages to show your mechanic.

I had the smell and after replacing I haven’t had the smell once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any chance you can just post the part #? Im not 100% sure which part actually fixed the problem and what the part # is exactly. Several parts with different numbers were thrown out there and I'd rather not read the entire thread. This is the only outlet on the web for the solution to this problem btw. Thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
i was left feeling a little confused after reading this thread. was this problem solved? if so how? seems like different things worked for different ppl for different amounts of time and it kinda died off at that. well i have the smell, its raw gas. first of all i am not a mechanic. i loath working on vehicles and learning anything about them but im making an exception for now. that fat pcv valve that connects under the hood appeared to be the solution according to this thread, for some, i think.... anyway thats the one carrying "bypass air"? oil, gas, water, crap, well mine looked solid and i have a hard time believing there was anything but raw gas that i have been smelling.

So vehicles capture fuel vapors and burn them up thru an evaporative emissions system. i knew they did this for larger things like tankers and well just about anything that stores fuel regardless of stage or size and it makes sense now they do it in vehicles so thats where im looking. im not done yet but ive scoured every mm2 of the hoses under the hood and this is the only flaw i can find. this is the inside of the 90deg conn just under the cowl. looks like an obvious deformity but this pic is under a microscope so in reality its not so obvious. dont know or care how it happened. i don't know where the line it attaches to goes. i do know there is a check valve just before it and and air flows into the evap hose not out from this conn. the seal looks just bad enough to let a mouse fart of gas by but if its getting sucked into the cab via the cowl(another flaw) then thats all it takes to stink up the cab. i just wanted anyone about to change the fuel vapor hose out to look here first, the easy one, before they completely dismantle the entire front end of their vehicle to reach the clip down low behind the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
TSB 16-0045 2 liter dated 3/17/16 fuel odor!!
2013>2016 escape built on or before 12/15/2015
replace PVC hose with updated part number "EJ7Z-6758-B"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sudden Fuel Smell

My car is a 2014 Titanium Escape with the EcoBoost 2.0L. Mileage is 66k and this is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Yesterday, I changed the oil and filter, and changed out the air filter and the cabin filter. The cabin filter is a bit hard to get but I got it swapped.

This morning I activated the remote start and after about 10 min., I approached the car and could smell gasoline. And when entering the cabin, the smell was stronger.

It's never done this before.

On my 60 mile commute to work the smell seemed to go away but when slowing down to enter my office parking lot, it appeared again.

Not sure what's going since I didn't touch anything fuel related in yesterday's maintenance tasks.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
The cabin filter has nothing to do with it. Talking from EXPERIENCE, my 2013 2.0 developed a fuel smell. Changed my purge valve and the smell went away.

Are you experiencing any stumbling or hesitation right after you fill up your tank? Is the smell stronger right after a fill up?

321 - 340 of 371 Posts