2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

341 - 360 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The cabin filter has nothing to do with it. Talking from EXPERIENCE, my 2013 2.0 developed a fuel smell. Changed my purge valve and the smell went away.
Fair enough...it was just a suggestion. Talking from EXPERIENCE any smell from the engine bay may come into the cabin if this filter was not positioned correctly.

Could also be the purge valve if there are other problems indicated as you suggest.

Just seemed a coincidence that the smell began straight after the cabin filter was changed..;)

Also ensure that the replaced oil filter is not faulty and leaking oil onto something as this can also cause a gasoline type smell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank You for the replies. I believe I positioned the cabin filter correctly but it's sort of a guess in that you have to compress it's height to get it to feed into it's mounting tray. So the only verification that it's installed correctly is that the outside edge lines up the same as the original filter. However, I can't believe that a cabin filter installed wrong, or not installed at all would allow exhaust or gas fumes to enter the cabin, but the coincidence is worth noting.

"Are you experiencing any stumbling or hesitation right after you fill up your tank? Is the smell stronger right after a fill up?"

The car idles and runs fun, full tank or even if near empty.

I don't believe the fumes are fuel tank level related. When the car is moving, the fumes dissipate. As soon as I stop for a light or idle, then it comes right back. Case in point, I drove through the car wash and seriously thought I was going to pass out from the fumes. Stupid of me not to kill the engine, but how many of us ever stop the engine while going through the wash? :)

I hooked up my OBDII scanner and there's no codes and the Check Engine light is not on, so I'll investigate the cabin air filter install again.

Thanks again for your replies.

RickR90s

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I’m not sure why you folks are fixated on the cabin air filter. Some vehicles are shipped from the factory without cabin filters. Cabin air filters are not fuel vapor filters.

You should not smell fuel vapors at all. Even while standing outside your vehicle while it’s running.

Have you checked the evap system like I suggested? This is the evaporative fuel emission system, and it has a sophisticated monitoring system to determine whether any fuel vapor is leaking into the atmosphere from the fuel tank and associated components. The evap system is also monitored by the powertrain control module (PCM) and can be scanned for trouble codes. If that has not been done, start there.

By the characteristics of the problem I don't think the issue is an external fuel leak from an injector or other fuel system component. If there was such a leak, I think there would be clear visual evidence of it.

I'd focus on two components in the evap system -- the canister purge solenoid in the engine compartment and the charcoal canister mounted under the rear of the Escape. This system traps and stores fuel vapor from the tank until the PCM tells the purge solenoid to open, allowing engine vacuum to draw the vapor into the induction system and burn it.

Another possibility is damage to the underside of the vehicle. Is this a possibility?

Or you can focus on your cabin filter.

Reactions: JSnow

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I’m not sure why you folks are fixated on the cabin air filter. Some vehicles are shipped from the factory without cabin filters. Cabin air filters are not fuel vapor filters.

You should not smell fuel vapors at all. Even while standing outside your vehicle while it’s running.

Have you checked the evap system like I suggested? This is the evaporative fuel emission system, and it has a sophisticated monitoring system to determine whether any fuel vapor is leaking into the atmosphere from the fuel tank and associated components. The evap system is also monitored by the powertrain control module (PCM) and can be scanned for trouble codes. If that has not been done, start there.

By the characteristics of the problem I don't think the issue is an external fuel leak from an injector or other fuel system component. If there was such a leak, I think there would be clear visual evidence of it.

I'd focus on two components in the evap system -- the canister purge solenoid in the engine compartment and the charcoal canister mounted under the rear of the Escape. This system traps and stores fuel vapor from the tank until the PCM tells the purge solenoid to open, allowing engine vacuum to draw the vapor into the induction system and burn it.

Another possibility is damage to the underside of the vehicle. Is this a possibility?

Or you can focus on your cabin filter.
I agree with you about the cabin filter operation.

The only reason my focus was on it and the oil filter was that this gasoline smell only became apparent when our friend serviced these items on the car which is more than a coincidence in my view.

The initial focus should probably be on double checking the fitting of these items and that is the only reason I suggested it.

The smell may have nothing to do with it and then the investigation needs to look at other solutions as suggested.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
My car is a 2014 Titanium Escape with the EcoBoost 2.0L. Mileage is 66k and this is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Yesterday, I changed the oil and filter, and changed out the air filter and the cabin filter. The cabin filter is a bit hard to get but I got it swapped.

This morning I activated the remote start and after about 10 min., I approached the car and could smell gasoline. And when entering the cabin, the smell was stronger.

It's never done this before.

On my 60 mile commute to work the smell seemed to go away but when slowing down to enter my office parking lot, it appeared again.

Not sure what's going since I didn't touch anything fuel related in yesterday's maintenance tasks.

Thanks,
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads on this topic. Have a look though the other posts for some possible help.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have step by step instructions on this hose change in a pdf file.

The size of the file is 1.15MB but the site will only allow 19.5kb size file.

If someone can teach me how to shrink my file so I can post, the instructions can be used by all.

Vin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fair enough...it was just a suggestion. Talking from EXPERIENCE any smell from the engine bay may come into the cabin if this filter was not positioned correctly.

Could also be the purge valve if there are other problems indicated as you suggest.

Just seemed a coincidence that the smell began straight after the cabin filter was changed..;)

Also ensure that the replaced oil filter is not faulty and leaking oil onto something as this can also cause a gasoline type smell.

I have the car going to the dealer later this afternoon so I'll report what they find.

Thanks,

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have step by step instructions on this hose change in a pdf file.

The size of the file is 1.15MB but the site will only allow 19.5kb size file.

If someone can teach me how to shrink my file so I can post, the instructions can be used by all.

Vin
Can't you copy the text and paste into a text file? And then copy and paste that into a message here?
I have had some PDFs where I could click and drag to highlight and copy the text to paste elsewhere and some where I couldn't do that. Sometimes the text in a PDF is inserted as a graphic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I confess to a temporary case of stupidity. As stated, I had changed the oil in the car. A few hours later, I checked the dipstick and it was a tad low so I added about 8oz to get it to the top of the stick.

I must have forgotten to install the oil cap or installed it but left it loose because it came off.

That explains the strange smell, not quite gasoline, not quite exhaust fumes.

I confess....and admit at the same time that in all my years of working on cars, this is the 1st time. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smell of Gas fumes

Hi everyone I came across a similar problem that a lot of escape owners are having, smell of gas fume in the cabin so what I discovered upon my inspection of the vehicle is number 1&2 spark plugs were loose so combustion chamber gases was leaking pass the spark plugs that’s why most people get a strong gas smell on start up,so I replace the plugs and it fix problem hope this help all the frastrated escape Oweners out there

·
Registered
887 Posts
there is a tsb for gas smell
caused by a deteriorated PCV hose
loose spark plugs are not are an issue on the escape
whoever put in the spark plugs is at fault

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a complaint as a VW technician once, years ago. Maybe the problem is similar. I had a VW Cabriolet - mid 90s I think. finally found the fuel sending unit o-ring leaking very slightly. In this car the fuel sender was right under the rear seat. Just a thought.......? The customer was really happy with me for not giving up and finally finding the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2.0L Ecoboost. 99k on it.
After engine is up to temp if I am idling with ac on but pulling in outside air I get damn near knocked out from the smell of gas coming thru the vents. If I hit recirculate it goes away. For the life of me I can’t see what it could be.
Within the last week I’ve had or did myself: coolant flushed, replaced plugs, drained and refilled tranny, replaced engine air filter, changed brakes and rotors all the way around.
Search of the forum is leading me to a TSB that suggests replacing a pcv hose behind the air intake. I fail to see how that would effect the cabin air?
Could any of the above have caused this as well?
Anyone have any ideas?
Much appreciated!

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
After engine is up to temp if I am idling with ac on but pulling in outside air I get damn near knocked out from the smell of gas coming thru the vents. If I hit recirculate it goes away. For the life of me I can’t see what it could be.
Within the last week I’ve had or did myself: coolant flushed, replaced plugs, drained and refilled tranny, replaced engine air filter, changed brakes and rotors all the way around.
Search of the forum is leading me to a TSB that suggests replacing a pcv hose behind the air intake. I fail to see how that would effect the cabin air?
Anyone have any ideas?
Much appreciated!
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads that I’m sure you found in your search.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Anyone have any ideas?
Much appreciated!
Check out this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello -

I have a 2014 Titanium Escape and I have a bad gas smell in the cabin. It seems to happen when running errands (short trips), when I am stuck in traffic or when I am sitting in my car with it running. I have had it to my dealership 3 times now and they claim they cannot smell it. I have had passengers in my vehicle and they notice it. Any ideas??
No ideas, same problem. Ford 2014 EcoBoost se. See dealer again 11/6/19.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussing this with some friends from the f-150 forum (a place that is a bit nicer to members than this one by the way) we came up with a possibility of the intake manifold gasket seeping oil past then burning off on the block. This may be the issue with the escapes that have had the PCV hose replaced but still have the smell.

341 - 360 of 371 Posts