2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

361 - 371 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know I’ve read more about that here than that 3 post thread linked. Some guy even rented or borrowed a sniffer to convince the dealer who didn’t believe him.

Pretty sure it was a pcv hose. Might have been the purge valve too. Can’t remember.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have been the the Ford dealer and have received the "We dont smell anything" standard response, please file a complaint with the NHTSA. If enough people complain FORD will have to address this issue.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I couldn’t find any pics of where this thing was!

Open the hood and take off the cowl like you were going to change spark plugs.

Remove wipes
Remove cowl and unscrew the power steering reservoir.
Remove lower cowl
Remove engine cover
You’ll need to remove the joint from the air box elbow to the back side of the engine that is the air intake. Shown in pics. Just loosen the two clamps and you can leave the hose connected. Move air intake pipe out of the way.
Now you’ll see the pcv hose on the back of the valve cover.
Squeeze where you see ribbed sections on the circle then pull off.

Push the new one on, and make sure to really push; it should click. I almost left mine not fully connected but I tried it again and pushed hard.

IMG_8516.jpg
IMG_8515.jpg
IMG_8513.jpg
IMG_8512.jpg
IMG_8511.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
117 Posts
I don't know if it's related but I've noticed that when my catch can is getting full if I turn on the heater it's almost like you can smell it It would probably be the air conditioning too but I haven't used the air conditioning all winter so I can't say for sure but I did realize when I emptied and fully cleaned out my catch can it seemed to go away also I did have a tiny leak in my catch can which I've since fixed and it seems like the smells gone away after that too but it hasn't been very long since I did that, so I wonder if the smell could be coming from the engine bay area

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to forum first time poster.
I recently purchased a 2104 1.6 Escape for my son after he wrecked his 2010 Mazda Tribute...backed up off the driveway down a hill and hit a tree (totaled the car).
The Escape is great and I purchased it from a original owner with 114K miles. 63 year old grandmother that had the car serviced regularly on schedule. Perfect condition. When I test drove the car it smelled of heavy perfume so I did not notice anything. After a couple of days of the perfume wearing off, I have noticed a strong gas smell in the cabin of the car. The smell is more predominant when the car is sitting still.
I noticed people having an issue with the 2.0 on the forum but have not seen yet the same issue with the 1.6. Can anyone offer any advice, solution as to what it might be?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
New to forum first time poster.
I recently purchased a 2104 1.6 Escape for my son after he wrecked his 2010 Mazda Tribute...backed up off the driveway down a hill and hit a tree (totaled the car).
The Escape is great and I purchased it from a original owner with 114K miles. 63 year old grandmother that had the car serviced regularly on schedule. Perfect condition. When I test drove the car it smelled of heavy perfume so I did not notice anything. After a couple of days of the perfume wearing off, I have noticed a strong gas smell in the cabin of the car. The smell is more predominant when the car is sitting still.
I noticed people having an issue with the 2.0 on the forum but have not seen yet the same issue with the 1.6. Can anyone offer any advice, solution as to what it might be?
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads on this issues. This thread has both 1.6 and 2.0 owners reporting this. Have a look at the other posts for a possible solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone help with the question on gas smell on a 2014 1.6 EcoBoost with 114K Purchased the car recently for my son and have a strong gas smell in the cabin periodically. I read through several posts on the forum and it appears most of the issues are with people that own a 2.0. I am not suffering from any other symptoms except the poor gas smell. Would a replacement PCV hose be the fix? Was planning on replacing the plugs as I also read that some have had loose plugs which could cause the smell. If the case, would someone have a replacement part number for the PCV for a 1.6L ? I know how to remove the cowl, any photos beyond that would be very beneficial.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Escape Se 1.6
2 Posts
Just a heads up.
I have a 2013 se 1.6 and I had a strong raw fuel smell in the cabin only while idle .
Well It turns out I had a rubbed fuel line from the back of the fpr.
The hard plastic line had rubbed right through don't know to what but I replaced it with about at 10" piece of rubber fuel line.
I couldn't find a direct link but someone had a picture of a similar problem.
All I did was disconnect the fuel line.
With the FUEL LINE DISCONNECT Tool.
Used a razor knife, cut off the plastic line on both ends leading up to the fpr.
I used I think it was 5/16 fuel line
Then used fuel line clamps hold both ends.
Making sure you place the fittings in the proper direction before installing.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I would look in this thread. I'm sure you'll find some answer or suggestion there. Good luck!

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
Just a heads up.
I have a 2013 se 1.6 and I had a strong raw fuel smell in the cabin only while idle .
Well It turns out I had a rubbed fuel line from the back of the fpr.
The hard plastic line had rubbed right through don't know to what but I replaced it with about at 10" piece of rubber fuel line.
I couldn't find a direct link but someone had a picture of a similar problem.
All I did was disconnect the fuel line.
With the FUEL LINE DISCONNECT Tool.
Used a razor knife, cut off the plastic line on both ends leading up to the fpr.
I used I think it was 5/16 fuel line
Then used fuel line clamps hold both ends.
Making sure you place the fittings in the proper direction before installing.
I merged your thread with the thread @Hitokiri provided above.

361 - 371 of 371 Posts