2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we bought our 2020 Escape SE we have had a gas smell quite often inside the vehicle. Mostly happens on acceleration and sometimes on turns or a quick brake. Most recent was 1/1 with snow. Driving home, collision assist shut down due to snow build up and then AWD shut off. Strong smell of gas for about 5 minutes afterwards. Been to dealer twice now and they can't find anything wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,236 Posts
Since we bought our 2020 Escape SE we have had a gas smell quite often inside the vehicle. Mostly happens on acceleration and sometimes on turns or a quick brake. Most recent was 1/1 with snow. Driving home, collision assist shut down due to snow build up and then AWD shut off. Strong smell of gas for about 5 minutes afterwards. Been to dealer twice now and they can't find anything wrong. Any help would be appreciated!
This was reported lots on the older 3G Escapes. Nothing has been reported here yet for the 4G Escapes. Hopefully other 4G owners can respond back if it is occurring with anyone else.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
786 Posts
...collision assist shut down due to snow build up and then AWD shut off.
Seen the former, listed under normal and expected behavior. Snow storms suck.

I have never seen AWD cease operation. AWD is a demand-based system, so it's FWD most of the time, AWD when conditions warrant. In what way did yours "shut off?"

No gas smell here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
1.5 L engine? Are you smelling gasoline, exhaust gases, or other specific odor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update and further question

Took it to the dealer. They had it a week and did something for the AWD issue. The gas smell though is still there as they were unable to find anything. I scoured the internet looking for anything to help. One site said to check the PCV hose. Where is that? lol. But in the process of looking for this hose I find another hose completely missing. Goes from (looking at engine from front) right rear side of engine underneath the foam block on top of it to the air intake hose behind the engine coming from the filter. I think this is the crankcase ventilation tube/hose. My sister inlaw has the same vehicle and its on hers. Would this cause the unwanted gas smell?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Update and further question

Took it to the dealer. They had it a week and did something for the AWD issue. The gas smell though is still there as they were unable to find anything. I scoured the internet looking for anything to help. One site said to check the PCV hose. Where is that? lol. But in the process of looking for this hose I find another hose completely missing. Goes from (looking at engine from front) right rear side of engine underneath the foam block on top of it to the air intake hose behind the engine coming from the filter. I think this is the crankcase ventilation tube/hose. My sister inlaw has the same vehicle and its on hers. Would this cause the unwanted gas smell?
Absolutely. The engine's crankcase is now breathing in unfiltered air, but you're also smelling crankcase fumes as it's being pulsed out... Is it spewing any aerated engine oil as well?

2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Utility 1.5L EcoBoost 3 cylinder A/T AWD Pcv valve hose (rear). 1.5 liter. 2.0 liter. 2.3 liter - LX6Z9D333G | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was reported lots on the older 3G Escapes. Nothing has been reported here yet for the 4G Escapes. Hopefully other 4G owners can respond back if it is occurring with anyone else.
I have a2020 Ford Escape I bought new and I've had this happen time to time but this morning was the strongest. I started the vehicle before going to get in and when I started the car and left the drive I got about 2 miles down the road and a strong smell gas came in the car and my grand daughter smelled it strongly as well. We had been blaming it on pollution or other vehicles because my car Is new and I'm definitely no mechanic. It came from my car no doubt! Is this something to get checked out? Other reviews said they couldn't find anything wrong?

·
Registered
22 Escape Titanium PHEV PP+Tow
141 Posts
If that's the hose I think it is, usually there is a vent from the crankcase that feeds back to the air intake. So any fumes from there just get sent through the engine and combusted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts