2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this issue twice now. Both days were well into upper 90 - 100. I have a 2020 Ford escape but not a hybrid....the first time it took 3.5 hrs before it worked. This time it took a good hour. This is super frustrating. Something needs to be figured out by ford.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,143 Posts
So I have had this issue twice now. Both days were well into upper 90 - 100. I have a 2020 Ford escape but not a hybrid....the first time it took 3.5 hrs before it worked. This time it took a good hour. This is super frustrating. Something needs to be figured out by ford.
I moved your post to this new thread. You had posted in the thread for Hybrids that have this issue.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,368 Posts
Sounds like; 1) the plastic between the assembly and the knob is expanding, causing it to bind; 2) a bad assembly or 3) spilling pop on the assembly and the sugar catching dirt.
This isn't out on any forum as a common problem for any of the models with rotary shift knobs and they've been in use since 2017.
It's probably a quick fix trip to the dealership to either remove the assembly from the mount and put it back, or to clean it out with some WD40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the dealer came up with nothing and the issue could not be replicated. There were no codes, no corrosion, no issues that could be found when I took it is. Now it happened again last night when it was over 90 again outside. The park brake went on as well and would not turn off either. The only difference this time as opposed to the first time was that it didn't take 3.5 hrs before it disengaged, it only took about 30 to 40 mins. I called the dealer again this morning and the other party with the same car had the same issue and they have no idea what to look for or where to go because it's fine when it's there. I called a different Ford dealer who had not heard of this issue and was told that on 6/14 and 6/20, the two days this happened to me when ut was well over 90 degrees, there was a code that occurred, P07E4, that when you Google the code is specifically for 2020 Ford Escapes. The code was detected at specific times of the day, which was the same time this occurred. Thats the first time I heard this since trying to figure it out be a use when at the dealer and they did the diagnostic tests and checked for corrosion and such...nothing came up. So now I have to see if I can get back into the dealership and provide the code, which the 2nd dealership provided from Ford Oasis, and see if they can figure this out. So if anyone else has these same issues...Ford oasis or your Ford app may tell you that it occurred. My app did not show it but he, the service guy, said it was indicated on Ford Oasis. Now to try and see if we can go from there because if the code doesn't come up when I bring it in they won't do anything about it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was wondering if this is related to the recall that just went out on a large number of Fords up to 2019. The biggest concern is it not getting into park, but it seems plausible it could prevent getting out of park as well.
"
Ford is recalling nearly 3 million vehicles over a gear shift issue that could cause vehicles to roll away. The issue is that the transmission might incorrectly indicate it's in park - when it's really not. This creates a rollaway, injury and crash risk when driver's exit the vehicle.
Here is a list of the makes and models being recalled:
  • 2013-2019 Escape
  • 2013-2018 C-Max
  • 2013-2016 Fusion
  • 2013-2021 Transit Connect
  • 2015-2018 Edge
In documents on the NHTSA recall website, Ford reports six alleged incidents of property damage and four reports of alleged injuries.
The NHTSA document describes the defect as such: On affected vehicles, the bushing that attaches the shift cable to the transmission may degrade or detach. A damaged or missing bushing could prevent the shifter from moving the transmission to the intended gear position.
While the root cause of the issue isn't known, the NHTSA filing says that "based on Ford’s root cause investigation, heat and humidity have the potential to contribute to the hydrological breakdown of the bushing material."

"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So that bulletin is the code that a different dealer who I called happened to find when looking on Ford Oasis. The code came up on both days that my car wouldn't move the knob. So when my OG dealer called me back and told me he would fit me in yesterday since it was hot af outside (over 100 degrees) because they wanted to ser if they could experience the problem. There was also some software update that needed to be done for the shifter. They did the update and moved the car to the lot and let it sit for a few hours then when they tried to move the car and make sure the shifter worked, it wouldn't move again. So now they are looking into that code that is listed in the service bulletin since they actually experienced it first hand. No one seems to know what to actually do concerning this though which is super frustrating. The Ford dealer still has my car because clearly they are trying to work out this problem but they have no loaner vehicle for me. It's going on two days without a car. My last Ford escape prior to this, which was a 2017 I bought used with 20k miles on it in 2019, after having it for two weeks, the checkengine light came on and the dealer ended up having to keep the car for 86 days because they couldn't figure out the issue then found that there was a coolant leak and had to replace the whole.engine block. I ended up having to file a lemon lawsuit on that because of the issues the dealership caused and so forth. I was hoping by buying a new car I would be in the clear....nope. im.begining to lose hope with Ford and I have owned a fusion and a focus with no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So that bulletin is the code that a different dealer who I called happened to find when looking on Ford Oasis. The code came up on both days that my car wouldn't move the knob. So when my OG dealer called me back and told me he would fit me in yesterday since it was hot af outside (over 100 degrees) because they wanted to ser if they could experience the problem. There was also some software update that needed to be done for the shifter. They did the update and moved the car to the lot and let it sit for a few hours then when they tried to move the car and make sure the shifter worked, it wouldn't move again. So now they are looking into that code that is listed in the service bulletin since they actually experienced it first hand. No one seems to know what to actually do concerning this though which is super frustrating. The Ford dealer still has my car because clearly they are trying to work out this problem but they have no loaner vehicle for me. It's going on two days without a car. My last Ford escape prior to this, which was a 2017 I bought used with 20k miles on it in 2019, after having it for two weeks, the checkengine light came on and the dealer ended up having to keep the car for 86 days because they couldn't figure out the issue then found that there was a coolant leak and had to replace the whole.engine block. I ended up having to file a lemon lawsuit on that because of the issues the dealership caused and so forth. I was hoping by buying a new car I would be in the clear....nope. im.begining to lose hope with Ford and I have owned a fusion and a focus with no issues.
Anyone know what he is talking about when he said "There was also some software update that needed to be done for the shifter." Do you think it is a TSB? Does anyone know the TSB #. I would like to read the effected model listing. Maybe when he gets his car back if he reads the invoice closely that info will be on the receipt. Please let us know. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts