2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The EVSE will tell the onboard charger what the max current it can provide is. Many EVSE let you adjust that limit to match the wiring and breaker you have it plugged into. But the onboard charger will only draw up to it's own limit, or the EVSE limit, whichever is lower. Quick searching, it looks like the Escape has a 3.3KW onboard charger, and pulls up to about 16 amps. So it should be able to do 1.9KW max on 120V.
The first 16 amp evse I tried had some conflicting labeling as if they were mixing advertising for a 220 16 amp unit they also sell so I returned it. Using a kill a watt meter both the factory evse and the "16 amp evse" both were drawing 11.08 amps. I ordered one more 16 amp EVSE that is actually selectable for amperage so I'll test it and report back.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape SEL PHEV
8 Posts
Hello all. First time dabbling into the EV world and ordering an Escape PHEV this week. Had a couple charging-related questions and stumbled upon this forum when trying to find info online.

1. What is the level of amps drawn by the level 1 charger that comes with the Escape? Asking because my garage outlets are on a 15 amp breaker, so if it's 12 amp charger I should be able to use the level 1 hardware when needed. If it's a 15 or 16 amp charger (requiring a 20 amp breaker), I'd have to replace the 14-guage wiring in the garage to be able to swap out the 15 amp breaker for a 20. Full disclosure: I recognize the low charging speed of level 1, this is purely a technical question about the amperage of Ford level 1 charger that i wasn't able to confirm anywhere on my own.

2. My local Ford store says it'll be $800 for their level 2 charger. My father-in-law got that unit for his Escape he got a few months ago and loves it. However I'm debating getting a Grizzl-E Duo instead of the Ford one because I'm planning to buy a full EV in the next 2-3 years (the Escape will be my wife's vehicle; I want a VW ID.4). The Grizzl is only $100 more and any difference in the cost of installation would be negligible. This would allow for ability to charge 2 vehicles simutaneously (albeit at reduced speed when doing two), which seems like a value-add in a garage with two EVs around. The Grizzl is also a 40-amp unit compared to 32 amps on Ford's, so a little faster charge capability. Curious as to others' thoughts on this plan and/or any strong views on the Grizzl brand in general?

Appreciate the feedback.
zno strong views about the Grizzle-E, I almost went with that one. But decided on the ChargePoint instead.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts