2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It's just odd and misleading because when you enter you're vehicle specs into their online user guide it seems to indicate that global open/ close is available. I mean if it's never supposed to have been enabled on the 17's and never enabled on earlier models, why would they ever say it was an option. Dumb. And no reason global open couldn't still be available at least if it's a safety concern with closing. I mean c'mon FORD.

You must of missed the part in the paperwork where it says:

"In the interest of continuous development, we reserve the right to change specifications, design or equipment at any time without notice or obligation."

And that's just one example. There are many more in all the fine print.

·
Registered
103 Posts

"In the interest of continuous development, we reserve the right to change specifications, design or equipment at any time without notice or obligation."

Right, but usually we think of the word "development" to mean adding new features/ technologies, not going backwards.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

Right, but usually we think of the word "development" to mean adding new features/ technologies, not going backwards.
I think "at any time" includes going backwards. And as I said, there are several disclaimers scattered throughout all the dicumentation that Ford gives you.

But hey, it could be a lot worse. You could be a passenger on a United flight when they draw your name out of the hat.

·
Registered
5 Posts

This would never hold up in court if somebody wanted to raise a concern. You don't sign a paper saying you agree to these terms before purchasing the vehicle (At least I know I didn't).

here's a different situation: You bring your car in for service, and ford disables the radio because they think it causes a hazard for whatever reason, and then sends you on your way. There's no way people would just let it go, and ford would be obligated to repair or replace the part, or ford would face a PR nightmare.

Most people don't know or care that the car was delivered with the global open ability, therefore ford is not pressured to fix it. The fact is, is that this is an option that you paid for and ford is obligated to fix the issue if its still under warranty, not disable it.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
This would never hold up in court if somebody wanted to raise a concern. You don't sign a paper saying you agree to these terms before purchasing the vehicle (At least I know I didn't).

here's a different situation: You bring your car in for service, and ford disables the radio because they think it causes a hazard for whatever reason, and then sends you on your way. There's no way people would just let it go, and ford would be obligated to repair or replace the part, or ford would face a PR nightmare.

Most people don't know or care that the car was delivered with the global open ability, therefore ford is not pressured to fix it. The fact is, is that this is an option that you paid for and ford is obligated to fix the issue if its still under warranty, not disable it.
Several points
1) a clause in a contract is legally binding on all parties that have the authority or ability to make said contract
2) each time you request a service you also sign new contract(s) requesting and/or accepting that service
3) there is no legal requirement for you to request any service on your vehicle, you can simply choose not to (even recalls must be performed at the instigation of the customer, but the recall must be performed if given the opportunity and means), however, not performing a service may free a party and/or its agents from any further liability directly related to this choice
4) legal precedent abounds for the right of the intellectual property owners of software to change its functionality
5) legal precedent also abounds for design evolution to remove, modify, supplant, and/or disable a part especially if that part is determined to be detrimental to the whole and/or the result has benefit to the whole

Reactions: centex

·
Registered
1 Posts
On a 16 titanium can global opening be activated with an IDS? The reason I am asking is when we try to activate it, it says disabled and will not change over to enabled

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
On a 16 titanium can global opening be activated with an IDS? The reason I am asking is when we try to activate it, it says disabled and will not change over to enabled

There is a lot of information here for doing this with the 2013-2016 Escape. Try a quick search, you should be able to find the information you need.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
There is a lot of information here for doing this with the 2013-2016 Escape. Try a quick search, you should be able to find the information you need.
In other words, we've done it using Focccus freeware, but I don't recall anyone mentioning trying it with IDS (very few of us have access to that software).

While I suspect there's not a limitation on the 'car-side' hardware/firmware (assuming your Ti has the necessary 'door modules' which provide one-touch up-and-down on all windows), you may have discovered for us that there's something Ford did in the IDS software that precludes it making the required programming change. Given recent posts about the loss of 'remote global open/close' feature (some have said that was explained as a 'safety concern') with some dealer module updates, that strikes me as a distinct possibility.

Please let us know if you can effect the mod with Focccus software even though you can't with IDS software.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I have a 2017 FE SE 1.5L and can confirm that global open does in fact work on this model. I have 201A and keys - no fob.
I have a 2017 FE SE AWD 1.5L with a key fob and it doesn't work on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I did a search on "YouTube" subject: "Global Open/Close feature and it would seem that a dealer needs to activate this feature IF they are willing to. :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
I did a search on "YouTube" subject: "Global Open/Close feature and it would seem that a dealer needs to activate this feature IF they are willing to. :)
Just to clarify for readers that may jump into this thread 'late' (it's drifted into pre-2017 model questions) - that's apparently true for '17+ Escapes, but owners of '13-'16 models can enable the feature DIY using Focccus freeware IF their car already has one-touch-up-and-down on all four windows which is optional with some trims/packages. I've done it as have many others.

Please see http://www.fordescape.org/forum/diy-garage/30305-focccus-talk-lets-talk.html for more info on Focccus for '13-'16 models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone I am new to the group. I have a 2018 Ford Escape Titanium and I am trying to figure out if it has the global window opening feature where you press down the buttons on your keyfob to open and close the windows. I used to have a 2013 Fusion SEL and it had it so I figure my 18 Titanium would. I checked videos online and did research and it says to hold the unlock down for 3 seconds, i do that and it does nothing, i try it 2 times, 3 times, etc. Nothing works. Help please!

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
Hey everyone I am new to the group. I have a 2018 Ford Escape Titanium and I am trying to figure out if it has the global window opening feature where you press down the buttons on your keyfob to open and close the windows. I used to have a 2013 Fusion SEL and it had it so I figure my 18 Titanium would. I checked videos online and did research and it says to hold the unlock down for 3 seconds, i do that and it does nothing, i try it 2 times, 3 times, etc. Nothing works. Help please!
I merged your thread with this existing thread. Have a look at some of the other posts for help.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Read all of this thread (and others on this forum that relate) and enlightenment will follow. Short answer is many of us have hacked our vehicles and enabled this feature since it doesn’t come turned on from the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Read all of this thread (and others on this forum that relate) and enlightenment will follow. Short answer is many of us have hacked our vehicles and enabled this feature since it doesn’t come turned on from the factory.
Oh wow does that affect your warranty and is it hard to do?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Oh wow does that affect your warranty and is it hard to do?
This information is all over this forum. You just have to be able to spend some time reading. Ford took away this feature due to a recall with the bounce-back feature. What warranty would it void? If your engine blows up Ford isn’t going to check for this feature. But if your cats tail gets cut off when using global close, I wouldn’t try to sue Ford. And whether it’s hard to do is a relative term. Is learning how to swim hard to do? Go to the ForScan website and read up on it, like I had to do. If you can’t figure it out from there, then you shouldn’t attempt this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2013-2016 Escapes didn't have this feature. It had to be programmed using FOCCUS to work, which is discussed in another thread. Sounds like the 2017 came with it enabled.
How do I get the foccus programming and is there a way to see how it’s setup to enable global window opening on a 13 escape SEL?

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
How do I get the foccus programming and is there a way to see how it’s setup to enable global window opening on a 13 escape SEL?
As mentioned above, this information is on the forum. A quick search will find this.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts