2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Grinding/Sputtering sound during Acceleration

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sjfuller87 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Titanium AWD Escape, about 122K miles on it. I have followed the maintenance plan from the dealer. The sound started last fall, maybe around 115K miles. I have been to four mechanics, including the Dealer, and no one knows what this is. When accelerating it makes this horrible grinding noise from the passenger side of the engine that sputters out as target speed is reached. It will not make the sound if revving the engine in neutral, or up on the lift in the garage. It seems to need the forward motion and the weight of the vehicle on the ground. The sound is loudest first thing in the morning and when turning to the right. If the engine has been revved too much (e.g. at the shop trying to figure it out) it goes away until the next day. I have already had the struts and control arms replaced in the front, apparently the right side was collapsed, but now it sounds even worse to me. I've linked a video below, you can hear the normal engine sound at the end of the clip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Car Noise

#6 ·
Did this also solve the original poster's issue?

I also have the same issue- checked the motor mounts and they look ok (already replaced once). Interested if anyone else had the same solution? Exact same noise and LOUD when accelerating and turning right but never when turning left.

#7 ·
I have a 2013 Titanium AWD Escape, about 122K miles on it. I have followed the maintenance plan from the dealer. The sound started last fall, maybe around 115K miles. I have been to four mechanics, including the Dealer, and no one knows what this is. When accelerating it makes this horrible grinding noise from the passenger side of the engine that sputters out as target speed is reached. It will not make the sound if revving the engine in neutral, or up on the lift in the garage. It seems to need the forward motion and the weight of the vehicle on the ground. The sound is loudest first thing in the morning and when turning to the right. If the engine has been revved too much (e.g. at the shop trying to figure it out) it goes away until the next day. I have already had the struts and control arms replaced in the front, apparently the right side was collapsed, but now it sounds even worse to me. I've linked a video below, you can hear the normal engine sound at the end of the clip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Car Noise
Oh my gosh!!! I am having the exact same issue. SAME exact sound as well. The only difference is mine is a 2014 Ford escape SE. Multiple technicians have not been able to figure this out. I have had the struts, shocks, and control arms replaced and it did not sell the issue. I am $2,100 in and the sound is only getting worse. Did you ever figure out exactly what the issue was? I have been reading a lot saying it is the motor mount but some of the technicians say it's not. Please say you got this solved?