2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,914 Posts
@Chucky - I've merged your thread an existing one on the H&R Raising Springs.

· Registered
27 Posts
Perhaps check everything is tightened properly- did you do it yourself or pay someone?
...older thread but recently did the H&R raising spring setup on my 2014 2.0 awd Escape and while it handles great in the city, as soon as I run the vehicle on rougher dirt roads, the strut seems to not have any where near enough downward travel and the strut piston is hitting the inside top part of the strut cylinder way too often. Ran the same roads a lot faster last week with no issues on stock struts...any feedback from those who have installed or know anything about these would be greatly appreciated

Did you

· Registered
2 Posts
...older thread but recently did the H&R raising spring setup on my 2014 2.0 awd Escape and while it handles great in the city, as soon as I run the vehicle on rougher dirt roads, the strut seems to not have any where near enough downward travel and the strut piston is hitting the inside top part of the strut cylinder way too often. Ran the same roads a lot faster last week with no issues on stock struts...any feedback from those who have installed or know anything about these would be greatly appreciated

Did you
Any update on your experience/issues with the h&r lift springs.
I'm wanting to put them on my 17 FE 2.0 AWD but your post has me concerned.

How does it ride on the street compared to stock?
I wont be doing any high speed offroad driving but stil has me worried it may cause unwanted damage or wear down the road.

· Registered
27 Posts
Personally I would hold off for now until further investigation is conducted. You might be ok with the stock struts and raising springs, but since I have added Bilstein b4 struts plus raising springs, I can’t really give you a certain answer in your proposed set up. All I know is that I have major issues up front. Perhaps someone else who has installed H&R raising springs with stock struts could chime in?

· Registered
2 Posts
THANK YOU
Personally I would hold off for now until further investigation is conducted. You might be ok with the stock struts and raising springs, but since I have added Bilstein b4 struts plus raising springs, I can’t really give you a certain answer in your proposed set up. All I know is that I have major issues up front. Perhaps someone else who has installed H&R raising springs with stock struts could chime in?
Thank you for your quick response. I will hold off for now. i may just end up buying them and trying them out if they dont work ill send the back. i will update if i do end up buying them.

· Registered
27 Posts
No problem. Unless you plan on doing the work yourself, the labour to change out struts and springs on Ford escapes 2013 and up is significant. Due to winter weather conditions here in Canada, I opted to have a Ford dealer do the front strut work. You may get better rates at other garages and if you desire to go ahead with them, please update when you do! I was charged 4 hrs of labour or about $500 Canadian dollars...x2 if you need to swap back can get expensive.

· Registered
1 Posts
This stuff used to be a lot easier with old real trucks.
Either way, I found these on TireRack and am surprised no one here has said anything/bought them yet.

Will post link in reply, other wise they are H&R Raising Springs, i think also called "Adventure Raising Springs"

I don't know, anybody have any knowledge about something like this without actually buying them?
I wanted to put either 245/55R19 on my stock rims or downsizing my rim to a 17 and getting 245/65R17
Just made all that up though, could rub like hell.
Any info for an "old guy" would be great!
Thank you!
Hey Chuck not sure if anyone answered you. 245/65/17 definitely rubs. I downsized from 19s to 17s off a focus. Turning onto driveway rubs.

· Super Moderator
3,914 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I recently had the H&R raising springs installed on my 2017 Escape and it did not turn out as I hoped. A day after installation, I had a damaged CV joint on the driver's side that need to be replaced plus the escape was getting stuck in gear ... I was also getting an awful thud when I went over the slightest bump, possibly the strut "bottoming" or "toping" out. I'm not sure if it just wasn't installed correctly or if it's just not meant to be but after practically wasting $400 on the installation, I had a mechanic buddy remove them and reinstall the factory parts. I loved the aggressive look but until further testing can be done, no more lift for me .... anyone looking to buy some raising springs? lol

· Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
There definitely seems to be a problem with them. Here's another person who fitted them with Bilstein B4 struts and had problems.

Installed the B4 Bilstein front struts with the H&R adventure springs. The lift is as advertised at about 1.4 inches and sits level with the rear now.

The part numbers for the struts can be confirmed to fit. LHS 22-298942 and RHS 22-298959. I also purchased new strut bearings and mounts (Moog) new bump stops, strut boots and new rubber insulators (Ford OEM) that sit underneath the spring and above the strut base cup.

Will report back in a few days after I run it up and down some logging roads.

View attachment 76171 View attachment 76172
Update. I would hold off on purchasing the B4 and H&R raising spring kit (fronts) until I get a chance to run it up some rough roads...tested on a few major pot holes here in town and from what I can gather, the strut may be over extending and the strut/shock cylinder inside is “topping out”...less downward travel.

Had the front sruts installed by my local ford dealer...temps too low for driveway job. and even took the mechanic out for a ride to hit the same hole, and although I understand it is not recommended to do such, I believe the lack of downward travel is to blame. The mechanic said not to worry, however, my gut tells me I might need to install a limiting strap to prevent damage to the internals of the strut.

At any rate, I will be testing later this week up some rough logging roads ( 500+Kms)...f150 is my long-term solution but, will report back following the test.

· Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody tried the H&R lift springs with the Bilstein B6 front struts? Just wondering if the results were any better or if I should stick with a spacer.
I have the H&R lift springs on my 2012 Ford Escape changed everything KYB struts and shocks and Moog problem solver a arms ( I know your 2013 and up are different but hear me out ) It banged on every bump and hole for a year finally my son got under it with a rubber mallet and started hitting suspension parts I couldn't believe it was the moog a arm rear bushings both sides I called SuperPro they are part of nolathane , nolathane had front and rear front a arm urethane bushings I bought a 12 ton press from harbor freight pressed out the old and pressed in the new ones ( I centered the rear bushings in the arm take measurements if needed the fronts get greased and slide in ) it now rides perfect no noise , handles great and I couldn't be happier I have 235/70r17 XL Nokian Rotiva 34 psi front 30 psi rear I don't tow it's very controllable it's up 10 load ranges weight carrying capability but that tall sidewall rides so sweet and has never rubbed ! Sure it killed the gear but the V6 does fine . Maybe the a arm problem could be in the 2013 and up as well ? It's good till you lift it but mines fixed I hope it never dies ! Put metallic brakes on it to helps with the 30" tires .

21 - 36 of 36 Posts