2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Anyone have any idea the difficulty (maybe the folks with SEs that added fogs period) how difficult it might be to replace the standard Halogen with LED fogs from a Ti?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally on a Ford there's no bulb minder on a foglamp so you should be able to install the entire LED housing without any problem.
Thanks. I was also able to find pictures of the back of both housings and they use the standard H8? connector so it should be an easy swap. Now comes the headlights...

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,245 Posts
Headlamps will probably be a different story as Ford uses a bulb minder on the low beams which shuts down power if the draw is to low.
This would probably be something that could be changed using ForScan.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm also curious if you really have to pull the front bumper cover to change out the housing like the manual says you have to or if you can just go in through the wheel well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bought? ForScan is free.
I'm hoping you're referring to a good OBD II dongle.
I bought a good OBDII dongle, but I also paid $30(?) for the 5 year license. With all my Fords and Lincolns, it was worth the cost to be able to avoid re-upping the free program repeatedly. And also see it as a small contribution to the FORScan group for their work, too.YMMV

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I paid the $30 also just because I felt that with the amount I use it they deserved it.
There have been some sellers out on eBay and Amazon that pop up selling ForScan by itself on a flash drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy!

Anyone have any idea the difficulty (maybe the folks with SEs that added fogs period) how difficult it might be to replace the standard Halogen with LED fogs from a Ti?
I purchased a set of LED fog lights, bright yellow, I am going back to bright amber halogens. The LED's just don't have the punch in fog that the Halogen's do.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The OP was referring to changing out the OEM halogens for the OEM LEDs which require a complete unit replacement since you can't just change out the bulbs.
Personally the changing out the bulb is a lot less work and I would have gone that route.
Amber 2500k is the preferred color for true fog lamps (previously I've used Nokya Hyper Yellow – Nokya Lighting ).
The thing to remember with aftermarket LEDs is that colour is more important that lumens as the usable visible light drops above 6000k with best visibility at 5000k and that a halogen lens doesn't always work well with an LED.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The OP was referring to changing out the OEM halogens for the OEM LEDs which require a complete unit replacement since you can't just change out the bulbs.
Personally the changing out the bulb is a lot less work and I would have gone that route.
Amber 2500k is the preferred color for true fog lamps (previously I've used Nokya Hyper Yellow – Nokya Lighting ).
The thing to remember with aftermarket LEDs is that colour is more important that lumens as the usable visible light drops above 6000k with best visibility at 5000k and that a halogen lens doesn't always work well with an LED.
I see. Didn't know the 13 was that much different than the 19. I just changed out the bulbs and wish I hadn't as they are worthless in fog. I have a set of halogen ambers that I am going to put back in for that reason.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bingo. I just haven't had a chance to install the housings yet and am a little afraid to break the box open if the car is going to freak out that there is now LEDs instead of the factory-installed halogen fogs.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Without changes to the BCM programming you may see them getting shutoff about 3-5 minutes after you turn on the headlamps.
Ford's BCMs usually shutdown power to a low beam if it doesn't see enough load on the circuit (hence the reason you see "CANBUS cancellers" being sold for people who do non OEM HID or LED conversions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Without changes to the BCM programming you may see them getting shutoff about 3-5 minutes after you turn on the headlamps.
Ford's BCMs usually shutdown power to a low beam if it doesn't see enough load on the circuit (hence the reason you see "CANBUS cancellers" being sold for people who do non OEM HID or LED conversions.
Think that's something ForScan can correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bingo. I just haven't had a chance to install the housings yet and am a little afraid to break the box open if the car is going to freak out that there is now LEDs instead of the factory-installed halogen fogs.
Actually, I replaced the halogen fog bulbs with LED lamps. You can buy LED direct replacement lamps that have regulators built into the housing. I actually have just pulled out the LED lamps and put in Amber halogen bulbs as the LED amber lamps still had sufficient blue bleed through that they didn't work as well in fog as amber halogens.

So you can look up the part number for the ford halogen lamps and find LED replacements. But as I said, Fog lamps are amber, and as low in the body as the factory "fog lamps" are, they don't work well as driving lights, too many long shadows cast and at freeway speed, it is dangerous as it gives mirages rather than clarity.
I have raced both cars and motorcycles to bite into that faux argument that silly people make about the factory "fog lights" working well as driving lights. They don't and I wouldn't want to be traveling much over 50 mph with those "fog lights"!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts