2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Actually, I replaced the halogen fog bulbs with LED lamps. You can buy LED direct replacement lamps that have regulators built into the housing. I actually have just pulled out the LED lamps and put in Amber halogen bulbs as the LED amber lamps still had sufficient blue bleed through that they didn't work as well in fog as amber halogens.

So you can look up the part number for the ford halogen lamps and find LED replacements. But as I said, Fog lamps are amber, and as low in the body as the factory "fog lamps" are, they don't work well as driving lights, too many long shadows cast and at freeway speed, it is dangerous as it gives mirages rather than clarity.
I have raced both cars and motorcycles to bite into that faux argument that silly people make about the factory "fog lights" working well as driving lights. They don't and I wouldn't want to be traveling much over 50 mph with those "fog lights"!
Not following the thread, eh?

I'm not talking about that aftermarket Amazon LED bulb specials. I'm taking about replacing the housing for the Titanium, OEM assemblies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You will need to pull the bumper. I just removed the blanks to install fogs on my SE. You might be able to get to them by pulling the wheels and the liners, but taking off the bumper is probably faster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Delete
Didn't see the OPs response on pg2
You will need to pull the bumper. I just removed the blanks to install fogs on my SE. You might be able to get to them by pulling the wheels and the liners, but taking off the bumper is probably faster.
Not looking for faster, looking for easier. I want to try it just be pulling back the wheel well liners.

Still looking for confirmation if FORSCAN can change/is needed to change the fogs from halogen to the OEM LED ones.

·
Registered
2021 SE Sport Hybrid
46 Posts
Not looking for faster, looking for easier. I want to try it just be pulling back the wheel well liners.

Still looking for confirmation if FORSCAN can change/is needed to change the fogs from halogen to the OEM LED ones.
I just had OEM Fog lights installed in me 2021 Escape SE. Now waiting to have Ford check programming as even though all parts were Ford OEM including plug-in harness - they do not work (yes I upgraded the light switch too).
IF YOU FUBD INFO ON FORSCAN please post. I am not s scheduled into Ford Dealer until March 16th (yes they are that busy). Also going to see IF Global Window up can be toggled on.
What other options might ne available i n programming?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am following this thread with interest. I have a 2021 SEL and find the factory fog lights useless. They create a small amount of light directly to the side but no visible improvement looking forward in fog conditions, not even reflected light.
Does anyone know what comes on the SEL? Can someone post photos of the light assembly with halogen bulbs? I have to wonder if I have 1156 bulbs -haha.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have looked and they are halogen. I did some more testing after dark that I had yet to do. While pointed at a building the fog lights do indeed shine a narrow beam of light that does light up forward and to the sides. While driving with the fog lights on, I turned off the headlights and could see the fog lights lighting the road in front of me, but only about 25 feet - little more than a car length.
In my opinion this is what makes them ineffective. They should light up the road about the same distance as the low beams. Lights that low are very hard to aim because a small adjustment can make a big (too big of a) difference. I have not taken the front end apart to see if they are even adjustable.
has anyone successfully adjusted their fog lights?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have looked and they are halogen. I did some more testing after dark that I had yet to do. While pointed at a building the fog lights do indeed shine a narrow beam of light that does light up forward and to the sides. While driving with the fog lights on, I turned off the headlights and could see the fog lights lighting the road in front of me, but only about 25 feet - little more than a car length.
In my opinion this is what makes them ineffective. They should light up the road about the same distance as the low beams. Lights that low are very hard to aim because a small adjustment can make a big (too big of a) difference. I have not taken the front end apart to see if they are even adjustable.
I'm far from being an expert, but I don't think they are designed to cast light the same distance as the low beams. I believe their purpose is to cut below the fog just enough to see the road ahead. That's why they are placed so low.

I mean I could absolutely be wrong, but I've owned many cars with halogen, projector, and LED fogs and none cast as far as the low beam.

·
Registered
2021 SE Sport Hybrid
46 Posts
Not adjustable . . . Sorry to hear that you are not completely happy with yours. I LOVE mine . . .

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,076 Posts
I'm far from being an expert, but I don't think they are designed to cast light the same distance as the low beams. I believe their purpose is to cut below the fog just enough to see the road ahead. That's why they are placed so low.

I mean I could absolutely be wrong, but I've owned many cars with halogen, projector, and LED fogs and none cast as far as the low beam.
I believe you are correct. Having fog lights that shine the same distance as low beams. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to see better in thick fog.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They are supposed to be a narrow beam (vertically), and a wide beam horizontally. They are supposed to be mounted low so the shine under the fog as best as possible.
I found a number of documents online stating the S.A.E. standard specifies that at 25 feet (like pointed at a wall), the top of the beam should be aimed 4 inches below the center of the lens. I'll measure mine. Based on this they should throw light a good forward distance.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
744 Posts
... Based on this they should throw light a good forward distance.
But they don't. The only thing mine do is tell me when the high's come on.

The fogs are ~22" above ground. If the beam falls 4" every 25', the beam center should go 137 feet. It doesn't.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts