2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings Escape owners. I just purchased a new 2021 Velocity Blue Metallic Escape SE (traded in our '17 Titanium). My wife is delighted with the new car - except - it doesn't have the foot operated tailgate feature that our Titanium had. Yeah, I know, some people think it's a gimmick and don't see the purpose. My wife loves it and uses it all the time, so I want to make her happy (happy wife, happy life). I'm fairly handy with electrical, so I wanted to at least investigate this. Our new SE has the power liftgate and the remote keyfob security, so that's already done.

A cursory search on ebay reveals there's aftermarket units available for about $50; however, they're universal and don't provide application-specific instructions. The good news is that It appears to be fairly simple. The existing security system deactivates the tailgate button when the fob is not detected, so that's all taken care of. The challenge is finding the source for the required wiring: Acc 12V, and the trigger (either GND or 12V_ not sure for the Escape) that activates the rear hatch. The trigger originates at the manual push-button on the inside of the hatch.

First of all, has anyone done this? Does anyone know if there's Acc 12V available in the hatch harness or in the rear of the vehicle <maybe a stereo installer can pipe in> I really don't want to have to run wires all the way from the front of the vehicle for the power source.

Thanks in advance!

Lyle in NC

Attachments

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,431 Posts
The factory is all done by logic via the lift gate module so you won't find anything as simple as a trigger wire existing in the harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The factory is all done by logic via the lift gate module so you won't find anything as simple as a trigger wire existing in the harness.
The manual pushbutton on the hatch supplies a ground to the module to trigger the hatch up/down. You simply use the same wire that the manual pushbutton is using. There's no need to interface with the "module". That's the beauty of it.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,431 Posts
Is it supplying a ground to the lift gate module or to the BCM?
Any ground is going to be a momentary not a switched ground.
The manual button on a non-powered lift gate is causing the lock actuator to trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is it supplying a ground to the lift gate module or to the BCM?
Any ground is going to be a momentary not a switched ground.
The manual button on a non-powered lift gate is causing the lock actuator to trip.
I don't know, but it doesn't matter. The aftermarket hands-free module trigger splices in at the manual button and provides a momentary ground that emulates someone pressing it. Since the manual button only works when the fob is present, the aftermarket hands-free module doesn't have to have any built-in security. Since my car has a powered liftgate, it will also close the hatch when activated..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts