2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I never noticed this thing until today but I have a hanging rubber type thing that is hanging from under the front of my 2014 Ford Escape SE. It looks like it once had a bolt or something attaching it to the body that has since left this mortal coil. The location of this mystery is under the front end just behind the radiator. Kinda in the middle but more towards the passenger side. I tried my best to Google the hell out of it but couldn't find anything as to what it is, what kind of bolt thingy was there or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Any help would be appreciated.

I can't be sure as to what I'm looking in your pictures. I would however take a "wild guess" that it is a "broken belly pan"? I think this because of the location you described and the fact that those have been reported as broken several times in this forum. Take a look at this:
I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
It looks like an air redirector.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's part of the shield which is what FoMoCo calls the fiber cover under the engine compartment. The damage shown in your picture is due to striking a curb or parking block. Basically the air intake hangs a bit lower than the rest and often catches on curbs if you pull in too far. Often it rips part of the fiber board or strips the plastic nut plates securing the shield. This happened to my daughter's 14SE. I removed the shield and layer it out in the hot sun for a couple hours and bent it back to straighten it. I also had to buy a handful of the red nutplates and screws. I got it mostly flat like originally installed but I think ultimately I'll need to replace. The Chinese replacement shown above look to be a better alternative than shelling out several hundred for OEM junk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My issue seems similar to this one: Hanging thing from under engine

I know this is a relatively simple issue, but, with my lack of knoweldge regarding screws and fasteners it's a bit confusing. The splash guard underneath the engine (directly visible from bellow the car) is losing the screws around the perimeter which keep it held in place. I read this is commonly happening when one brings their car to a mechanic to change the engine oil and they use a mechanical screwdriver to resecure the panel.

Anyways, I'm simply wondering what type of bolts/fasteners are used to secure the "air dam". This is the specific part of the undercarriage which I can see hanging. It seems the bolt has fallen out. I'm not sure if its a stripped bolt hole or if the dam is held in place by some other method of fastening.

I've temporarily put a new screw in there which seems to be holding fine with some blue loctite, however, it doesn't seem to tighten, similar feeling to a stripped bolt whole where it gets tighter but never fully stops turning. I cant get the best look while under the car but it appears there's a red plastic piece on the other side of the splash guard which my makeshift screw is going into.

I'm pretty sure the red piece is this thing:
Amazon.com: Rexka 10 Sets T30 Engine Splash Shield Guard Undertray Cover Screws Bolt Nut Clip Kit Compatible with Ford Focus Escape Explorer: Automotive

Is there any better way to secure the air dam/splash guard? Also, if I order that screw from amazon, how does it all go together?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,483 Posts
My issue seems similar to this one: Hanging thing from under engine

I know this is a relatively simple issue, but, with my lack of knoweldge regarding screws and fasteners it's a bit confusing. The splash guard underneath the engine (directly visible from bellow the car) is losing the screws around the perimeter which keep it held in place. I read this is commonly happening when one brings their car to a mechanic to change the engine oil and they use a mechanical screwdriver to resecure the panel.

Anyways, I'm simply wondering what type of bolts/fasteners are used to secure the "air dam". This is the specific part of the undercarriage which I can see hanging. It seems the bolt has fallen out. I'm not sure if its a stripped bolt hole or if the dam is held in place by some other method of fastening.

I've temporarily put a new screw in there which seems to be holding fine with some blue loctite, however, it doesn't seem to tighten, similar feeling to a stripped bolt whole where it gets tighter but never fully stops turning. I cant get the best look while under the car but it appears there's a red plastic piece on the other side of the splash guard which my makeshift screw is going into.

I'm pretty sure the red piece is this thing:
Amazon.com: Rexka 10 Sets T30 Engine Splash Shield Guard Undertray Cover Screws Bolt Nut Clip Kit Compatible with Ford Focus Escape Explorer: Automotive

Is there any better way to secure the air dam/splash guard? Also, if I order that screw from amazon, how does it all go together?
I merged your thread with the thread you provided a link to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A few reports of this on the 3G on the UK Kuga forum. Posted by one of our members a while back who suggested other members check theirs. A few said theirs were loose and not hit anything that they were aware of. I assume you have the same one fitted on the Escape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts