2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post here on the Escape forum.

We just bought a nice used 2019 Titanium Escape. Love the car so far but really hate the
front cupholders.... more precisely .... the little spring flippers inside the cupholders.

Mine are real stiff and pinches water bottles and foam cups.

Anyone know how to fix them? Can they be removed?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I just looked at mine. I guess if you're really desperate you can get something like a wrench and try to pull them out or even pry them out with something like a screwdriver. The only other way I would imagine is to take out the center console which this person did for a project...

The other things I can think of is finding some kind tape (probably black to match the color of the cup holder) and put them over the flippers keeping them shut. If you can find something strong enough you can slip something the size of toothpick between the flippers and the inside of the cup holder to keep it shut - if you get what I mean.

Good luck!

I guess it is true what they say. Cup holders are important when it comes to auto purchases. Haha

·
Registered
418 Posts
Maybe consider approaching the problem from the other direction.
Buy a taller, more slender beverage container(s). I have a Camelbak 20oz/.6L insulated water bottle that fits nicely in my '18 Escape (same console), my bottle holder on my bicycle and my motorcycle tank bag. The beat-up cup is a Themos brand I've had for over 20 years, and used it day in day out when I drove semi over the road. Retired, nowadays it rides with me in the Escape on longer trips. It has a narrow base which fits the Escape without a tight grip and has foam insulation; keeps coffee drinkably hot/warm for about 2+ hours. At C-stores, I get charged for a 16-20oz cup. Much nicer than jamming a crinkly plastic C-store water bottle or Styrofoam coffee cup with the lid not on tightly into the cupholder!

Reactions: Hitokiri

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Maybe consider approaching the problem from the other direction.
Buy a taller, more slender beverage container(s).
You Sir/Mam are wise.

Reactions: chrisgb

·
Registered
418 Posts
You Sir/Mam are wise.
Actually I worked it backwards. the Camelbak was purchased for carrying on the two two-wheelers. I wanted something that took up minimal room in my tank bag and happily discovered it fits pretty well on the bicycle and the Escape. Keeps water cold for hours with about 1/3 full of ice. The coffee cup has about 2 million miles (of ~4M total) on it and has been to all 48 states.The picture doesn't show it but it has a handle that isn't attached at the bottom. I bought it at a truck stop after seeing other drivers shoving the handle in a belt loop or back pocket while carrying other items back to their trucks. Twenty years later I discovered it fits comfortably in the Escape!

Full name is Christopher, definitely sir. Mrs is Kristi, definitely ma'am.
Chris & Kris :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ya'll ! I think first I will try to slip something black inside to hold them back. After that maybe take console off and go that route. Buying a new cup seems like the easy way out! LOL

Thanks again! Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts