2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First post and first topic started I wish it were under better circumstances. I literally just purchased (2/11/17) a new (to me) 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with just under 47,000 miles and then today I noticed that I had a information alert this morning and the traction control light was illuminated on the dashboard, and then I read the alert saying that the Hill Assist was unavailable. I was trying to figure out what the issue is, I am hoping it was something due to cold weather or icy conditions (though I doubt very much that will be the issue) the brakes felt fine when driving around but it was cold last night (10-19 degrees) when I was leaving my house it was 19. Should I try to figure this out myself or just bring it back to the dealership? Would it be safe to do my normal 5 mile commute to the bus station to get to work? What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
You just got it, I would take it back to the dealership ASAP so it is documented. Hopefully they gave you a 30 day warranty and you did not buy it AS IS. It will still have a powertrain warranty from Ford but that wont cover your issue.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hello,

First post and first topic started I wish it were under better circumstances. I literally just purchased (2/11/17) a new (to me) 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with just under 47,000 miles and then today I noticed that I had a information alert this morning and the traction control light was illuminated on the dashboard, and then I read the alert saying that the Hill Assist was unavailable. I was trying to figure out what the issue is, I am hoping it was something due to cold weather or icy conditions (though I doubt very much that will be the issue) the brakes felt fine when driving around but it was cold last night (10-19 degrees) when I was leaving my house it was 19. Should I try to figure this out myself or just bring it back to the dealership? Would it be safe to do my normal 5 mile commute to the bus station to get to work? What do you guys think?
Since you just got your car, I would take it in to get it looked at, especially if you purchased from a Ford dealer.

You can search the forum for other threads about the "hill assist" issue. There are other threads about it, just not sure any of them really have fixes, you'll have to read through them. But I would try and take back to the dealer first before trying to fix myself since it was purchased just 3 days ago.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mine did that as well as the power door locks freaked out.. turns out the battery terminals were loose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the lights went away... after I scheduled the servicing, now I'll get that crazy car owner reputation rather than someone who knows about cars haha grrrrrreat!

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
There may be a code stored, when things like this happen it is also good to document it with your smart phone with a photo or video. Else when you take it in, the tech will start the car and see nothing and say unable to reproduce.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The alerts came back this morning (got a photo right away) this almost assures me that this is a sensor starting to go bad cause this is the second morning I had to leave in below freezing temperatures and on both of those below freezing days is when the sensor went off.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The alerts came back this morning (got a photo right away) this almost assures me that this is a sensor starting to go bad cause this is the second morning I had to leave in below freezing temperatures and on both of those below freezing days is when the sensor went off.
I just today got the Hill Assist error on my 8 month old 2017 Escape (~9300 miles since new). No error codes saved in the ECU (using Torque Pro).
I suspect that a wheel sensor has gone bad but surprised that there are no error codes. Off to make a dealer appointment.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just today got the Hill Assist error on my 8 month old 2017 Escape (~9300 miles since new). No error codes saved in the ECU (using Torque Pro).
I suspect that a wheel sensor has gone bad but surprised that there are no error codes. Off to make a dealer appointment.
It looks like this may have been "operator error." I had left my OBDLink MX connected when I started the car. I discovered my error before my called for a dealer appointment, avoiding that embarrassment and wasting their time. The next day, no Hill Assist error, so the scientist in me had to reproduce the error. Started the engine with the OBDLink installed and Bluetooth connected to Torque, and sure enough, Hill Assist error. The fix? Don't do that! :) I am only guessing that to use OBDLink in live mode with engine running, that it should be connected only after the engine is running. Comments?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks like this may have been "operator error." I had left my OBDLink MX connected when I started the car. I discovered my error before my called for a dealer appointment, avoiding that embarrassment and wasting their time. The next day, no Hill Assist error, so the scientist in me had to reproduce the error. Started the engine with the OBDLink installed and Bluetooth connected to Torque, and sure enough, Hill Assist error. The fix? Don't do that! :) I am only guessing that to use OBDLink in live mode with engine running, that it should be connected only after the engine is running. Comments?
So it turned out, that i did have a bad sensor in the car the dealership cheaped out the first time and didnt do anything, after I tried to get it fixed it did not go below freezing so i didnt notice till this winter again. I brought it back and insisted that they replace the sensor and since then even in single digit temps, no more alert.

·
Registered
694 Posts
So it turned out, that i did have a bad sensor in the car the dealership cheaped out the first time and didnt do anything, after I tried to get it fixed it did not go below freezing so i didnt notice till this winter again. I brought it back and insisted that they replace the sensor and since then even in single digit temps, no more alert.
More details, please. What sensor was replaced?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More details, please. What sensor was replaced?
The SAS Module, I had to find the paperwork to find the exact wording for it. They gave me a hard time at first telling me I did not know what I was seeing and it wasn't until I was able to get it to them with the warning lights on that they actually did something about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the "Hill Assist Not Available" message on my 2017 Escape SE this morning for the first time.

However, I was pulling fuses and draining the battery a bit the night before. I had pulled out fuses 61, 80, 85, 86, and 87 yesterday and left them out when turning the car on/off to check to see which terminal was live/hot (in preparation to install a hardwired dashcam). I had also had the the doors all open for over an hour as I did all of this, noting that the battery was slightly low in voltage when the car was off (was at 12.3 volts when it should be more like 12.6 volts).

When I started the car this morning, I had the "Hill Assist Not Available" message. After putting it in drive and getting about 80 feet down the road, it went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the "Hill Assist Not Available" message on my 2017 Escape SE this morning for the first time.

However, I was pulling fuses and draining the battery a bit the night before. I had pulled out fuses 61, 80, 85, 86, and 87 yesterday and left them out when turning the car on/off to check to see which terminal was live/hot (in preparation to install a hardwired dashcam). I had also had the the doors all open for over an hour as I did all of this, noting that the battery was slightly low in voltage when the car was off (was at 12.3 volts when it should be more like 12.6 volts).

When I started the car this morning, I had the "Hill Assist Not Available" message. After putting it in drive and getting about 80 feet down the road, it went away.
**UPDATE**
I have started and driven my vehicle twice since receiving the Hill Assist Not Available message and have not received it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having messages show up on my dashboard sparodically for a few months. Took the car to the mechanic to get it diagnosed and nothing showed up. However, yesterday it got worse. The car stopped about 4 times, lost power and these messages keep coming up. " Engine fault service now" and "Hill start assist not available". This puts me in a bind because just last month I got the car checked and now this. Rentals are quite expensive and that is what I had to do because having a way to move around is an absolute necessity. I need help ASAP as to what do I do about this issue. Car won't power up to drive it, so to move it I also need to call a wrecker. More expenses. Help!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts