2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Are you the orginal owner?? Is this the original battery??

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
It is a 2013 Ford Escape, 4 door 4 cylinder. The present milage is 52527 miles.
What engine? Also, helpful if you put all this in your signature line. Makes it easier for member to help you.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Yes original owner. I have had it from day 1. The battery has been changed twice.
That’s sounds like a problem. The battery under normal conditions would of only been changed once, around 2017 or a little later. But twice is abnormal. You need to have all your battery cables checked and the charging system checked.

Systems like “hill assist” will start to shut down to conserve power when there’s a battery or charging issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, for about a month now I’ve had an intermittent “hill start assist not available” message pop up and with this turning over takes roughly 2x longer. No lights or anything popping up. It will throw the message and have a delayed start at one point then I could go start the car about an hour later and it starts up normal. What should I look into for this before letting a dealer touch it? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting the intermittent hill assist error and now getting some sputtering while driving and getting no power, also when I get the error my speedometer, trip/odometer, gas mileage and fuel to empty gauge all stop working, steering gets harder, abs and traction control lights come on. could this be an electrical issue or battery? Its a 2016 escape 4 cylinder 2.0 w/ 260000+ km on it. The only code popping up is P144C which is purge valve assembly.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,766 Posts
Perhaps your negative battery terminal has corrosion which can affect the Battery Monitoring System and give random electrical problems like you've got? It's the battery terminal that's hidden close to the firewall. (The negative has the sensor for the BMS bolted to it.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it turned out, that i did have a bad sensor in the car the dealership cheaped out the first time and didnt do anything, after I tried to get it fixed it did not go below freezing so i didnt notice till this winter again. I brought it back and insisted that they replace the sensor and since then even in single digit temps, no more alert.
So I,m curious, what sensor did they replace?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellow Ford owners. I have been having this "hill start assist not available" while I'm driving. It comes up more in the colder months I find. Before I continue I have a 2014 ford escape se, w/1.6L eco boost. This message pops up on my dash, and you can watch the loading bar for this message. The e-brake, traction control lights illuminate on the dash when this happens. Now as the hill start assist message loads, once it gets to the end of loading it, it then stays illuminate with the other lights. Then it will go to my touch screen and it goes black, with the message "shutting down to save battery" once it loads that far I start to loose my power steering as well. Sometimes speeding up and slowling down abruptly help get rid of the message. I must say as well that when my touch screen on my dash goes black with that message, all the needles on my dash go down to the bottom, you can't even see the km on the dash. Ive tested the battery, and the alternator and I can't seem to figure out where to go next. I'd appreciate any ideas. It doesn't do it everytime I drive, but usually happens for the first 5 mins of driving sometimes longer or less. It's not consistent.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fiancé and I just replaced a clock spring on our 2014 Escape (SE, 115k miles, 1.6 L). After replacing the clock spring the TCS light came on and the "hill start not available" message also displays. Neither of these things came up before the clock spring, so I highly doubt the ABS or TCS modules or sensors have gone bad in the 20 minutes it took to replace the clock spring. It's been a week that these issues have been going on. Any ideas on how to fix or clear the light/message from the car?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,183 Posts
My fiancé and I just replaced a clock spring on our 2014 Escape (SE, 115k miles, 1.6 L). After replacing the clock spring the TCS light came on and the "hill start not available" message also displays. Neither of these things came up before the clock spring, so I highly doubt the ABS or TCS modules or sensors have gone bad in the 20 minutes it took to replace the clock spring. It's been a week that these issues have been going on. Any ideas on how to fix or clear the light/message from the car?

Thanks in advance!
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. Have a look at some of the other posts for some help. If you do a search, you will see a few other threads on this same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find a diagnosis for your Escape? I’m having the same thing happening with my ‘17 model and fourth time in the shop. They tried coding, then decided it was a corroded connector and two weeks later, it’s doing it again.

I am getting the intermittent hill assist error and now getting some sputtering while driving and getting no power, also when I get the error my speedometer, trip/odometer, gas mileage and fuel to empty gauge all stop working, steering gets harder, abs and traction control lights come on. could this be an electrical issue or battery? Its a 2016 escape 4 cylinder 2.0 w/ 260000+ km on it. The only code popping up is P144C which is purge valve assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having messages show up on my dashboard sparodically for a few months. Took the car to the mechanic to get it diagnosed and nothing showed up. However, yesterday it got worse. The car stopped about 4 times, lost power and these messages keep coming up. " Engine fault service now" and "Hill start assist not available". This puts me in a bind because just last month I got the car checked and now this. Rentals are quite expensive and that is what I had to do because having a way to move around is an absolute necessity. I need help ASAP as to what do I do about this issue. Car won't power up to drive it, so to move it I also need to call a wrecker. More expenses. Help!
PCM/ECM wiring harness is zip tied to tight. Remove the zip ties, disconnect and reconnect the harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it turned out, that i did have a bad sensor in the car the dealership cheaped out the first time and didnt do anything, after I tried to get it fixed it did not go below freezing so i didnt notice till this winter again. I brought it back and insisted that they replace the sensor and since then even in single digit temps, no more alert.
What’s the name of the sensor they replaced please? I’m having same issues and would like to research and fix myself

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP!!! I am having the same issue. It comes on and off randomly as I’m driving. I have a 2015 Ford Escape with 106,000 miles on it. In the last 6 months I’ve replaced battery, alternator, brakes and rotars. This is very frustrating.

Hello fellow Ford owners. I have been having this "hill start assist not available" while I'm driving. It comes up more in the colder months I find. Before I continue I have a 2014 ford escape se, w/1.6L eco boost. This message pops up on my dash, and you can watch the loading bar for this message. The e-brake, traction control lights illuminate on the dash when this happens. Now as the hill start assist message loads, once it gets to the end of loading it, it then stays illuminate with the other lights. Then it will go to my touch screen and it goes black, with the message "shutting down to save battery" once it loads that far I start to loose my power steering as well. Sometimes speeding up and slowling down abruptly help get rid of the message. I must say as well that when my touch screen on my dash goes black with that message, all the needles on my dash go down to the bottom, you can't even see the km on the dash. Ive tested the battery, and the alternator and I can't seem to figure out where to go next. I'd appreciate any ideas. It doesn't do it everytime I drive, but usually happens for the first 5 mins of driving sometimes longer or less. It's not consistent.

Cheers,

·
Registered
14 Posts
HELP!!! I am having the same issue. It comes on and off randomly as I’m driving. I have a 2015 Ford Escape with 106,000 miles on it. In the last 6 months I’ve replaced battery, alternator, brakes and rotars. This is very frustrating.
hello. did you manage to find the cause and correct the issue? Kindly share as I am in the same situation at the moment. Thank you

21 - 40 of 40 Posts