2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Hoping someone can explain what this issue is. I have a 2013 Escape SE AWD with 65,000 miles on it. Over the past few weeks I've had 2 different messages appear: Hill Start Assist Unavailable and 4WD Off. Usually only 1 of the 2 messages appears within a minute or two of starting the car and the message stays on just for a few seconds. The yellow information light comes on at the same time and then turns off the same time the message disappears. I have checked the information screen after the message appears but nothing is there.

This morning I had both messages come on within a minute of each other and each one disappeared as usual. While I was driving the Hill Start Assist Unavailable message came on and then the radio and heating fan completely turned off for about 5 seconds then came back on. I'm leary of bringing the vehicle to the dealer for them to charge me for a code read so they can charge me and tell me they don't see a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution?

I bought the car used 2 years ago and I'm regretting buying a Ford as this is not the first set of issues with it.

Thanks!

Andrew

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hopefully I get rid off mine next year. I have had the same problem. And it will not get any better, next you will have the car braking the rear wheels making the car jump and feel like destroying the rear axle. Even though it should be an easy fix but maybe costly. Both ABS sensor were changed in mine, problem went away and never came back. Hopefully this will help you. The only difference with the problem I had is the ABS light is not "on" on yours. But I am pretty sure it is ABS related.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue: Hill start assist Unavailable and 4WD Off

Hi! Hoping someone can explain what this issue is. I have a 2013 Escape SE AWD with 65,000 miles on it. Over the past few weeks I've had 2 different messages appear: Hill Start Assist Unavailable and 4WD Off. Usually only 1 of the 2 messages appears within a minute or two of starting the car and the message stays on just for a few seconds. The yellow information light comes on at the same time and then turns off the same time the message disappears. I have checked the information screen after the message appears but nothing is there.

This morning I had both messages come on within a minute of each other and each one disappeared as usual. While I was driving the Hill Start Assist Unavailable message came on and then the radio and heating fan completely turned off for about 5 seconds then came back on. I'm leary of bringing the vehicle to the dealer for them to charge me for a code read so they can charge me and tell me they don't see a problem.

I bought the car used 2 years ago and I'm regretting buying a Ford as this is not the first set of issues with it.

Thanks!

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I have a 2013 Ford Escape that I bought about 6 months ago and it has 3 weeks weeks left until the 5-year/100,000k powertrain warranty expires. I'm experiencing the exact same issues as you describe in this post. Did you have any luck fixing them? What was the cause and how much did it cost to correct?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Banned
251 Posts

Thanks!

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I have a 2013 Ford Escape that I bought about 6 months ago and it has 3 weeks weeks left until the 5-year/100,000k powertrain warranty expires. I'm experiencing the exact same issues as you describe in this post. Did you have any luck fixing them? What was the cause and how much did it cost to correct?

Thanks!

Chris
Likely ABS sensors need replacement -$80/each before labour.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Thanks!

Andrew
Hey Andrew,

I've experienced similar things as you, but it's never left a permanent mark on my Escape.

1) I recently had my positive battery terminal corrode so much that the corrosion built up on the positive battery wire and cut off contact to the battery. Therefore, the car was getting less and less connectivity to the battery, and would be running on just the alternator while driving. THAT is when I would experience the radio get glitchy and the fans stop working, as well as the hill assist and 4wd warnings. *SOLUTION: I simply cleaned the terminals and checked to make sure my battery was in good shape. Everything went back to normal. No warnings, no glitches. Runs fine. *

2) That being said, I have experienced the hill assist and 4wd warnings on cold starts in the morning before leaving for work *ONLY IN SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURES*. It may very well be an ABS sensor, I don't personally know which one is responsible. I do know that cold weather is rough on car batteries and your cold start cranking amps may not be what they usually are in normal temperatures, hence just like in my #1 above, not enough juice could be supplied to your system for a split second after ignition, hence the glitchyness, hesitations, or warning prompts. The sensors may struggle at first, but then get back to normal, hence the warnings going away.

I had these same hill assist and 4wd warnings pop up last winter too. My hill assist still works. My 4wd (AWD) still works. Just because the warnings show up doesn't mean you're doomed or your car is a lemon. Annoying sometimes, yes.

My '13 1.6T SE is at 105K and running like a champ.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Thanks!

Andrew
Also, in terms of a code reader, you can get one that simply reads and erases codes for $25-40 bucks on Amazon. Don't ever feel captive to your dealers just to read codes. It'll cost you twice that amount just to have them look at it :) Arm yourself!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Is this the original battery?

Just like when the starship Enterprise had no dilithium crystals thus no warp drive, your system will shut off non-critical systems.

Just a guess, but it sounded cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue for about a year. The warnings would come and go especially when it was very cold outside. I swapped out my battery a few weeks ago when it fully died and these issues have gone away. If you have forscan check out the diagnostic trouble codes - I had a ton of them saying that various modules were not getting enough voltage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rear Left Speed Sensor Malfunction

Hi everybody, on friday my Ford Escape started showing up messages like "4WD will be temporarily disabled", then another one "Hill assist.... blablabla not available or disabld" ... then the ABS light came on. Went to a service workshop and they connected the scanner, and the informed me it was the Rear Left Speed Sensor code coming on display.

Questions:

-All of this trouble for the same sensor?

-Any of your experienced this? Do you hear a bump sound when starting to move slowly the Ford after some seconds of starting the engline?

Thank you!

·
Registered
875 Posts
A couple topics around... Yes, the rear ABS sensors. Go ahead and replace both.

Enviado desde mi SM-A520F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Yes, the speed sensor system is related to proper operation of a number of functions including AWD, ABS, hill start assist, and traction control among others; a glitch with a sensor will disable those functions and/or yield a warning message as well as a DTC.

At each wheel there's the sensor itself mounted in the hub/kingpin and the 'ring' that rotates with the wheel that the sensor 'reads'. It is possible that poor harness connector seating, debris accumulation between the sensor and the ring can cause system failure, as well as damage to the sensor or ring or of course the interconnecting wire harness.

IMHO these are not 'wear items' and there's no reason to expect both to fail just because one has. Personally I'd look at the reported bad unit to see if there's physical indication of the cause of failure and ensure it's not a simple cleaning need or dirty/unseated harness connector before ordering a replacement. They're easy to access, retained by a single bolt.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Everything @centex said. And yes, you will feel a bump since your 4WD is malfunctioning due to the bad sensor. I'm assuming you have 4WD since in your post you mention your dash displaying 4WD. Might want to complete your signature with vehicle info.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Hi everybody, on friday my Ford Escape started showing up messages like "4WD will be temporarily disabled", then another one "Hill assist.... blablabla not available or disabld" ... then the ABS light came on. Went to a service workshop and they connected the scanner, and the informed me it was the Rear Left Speed Sensor code coming on display.

Questions:

-All of this trouble for the same sensor?

-Any of your experienced this? Do you hear a bump sound when starting to move slowly the Ford after some seconds of starting the engline?

Thank you!
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue. Maybe the other posts will be of some help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue: Hill start assist Unavailable and 4WD Off

Hi Andrew,

Thanks!

Chris
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Ford Escape SE Eco Boost. I've noticed the Hill start assist unavailable message comes on only when temps drop. It affects my radio turning off for a couple of seconds and turns back on. Any solution?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Ford Escape SE Eco Boost. I've noticed the Hill start assist unavailable message comes on only when temps drop. It affects my radio turning off for a couple of seconds and turns back on. Any solution?
Welcome to the forum.
It's always good idea to search the forum for answers.
It could be one of several things: ABS sensors, a weak battery, or corroded battery terminals. Since you say it happens in colder weather, I'd look at the battery terminals and battery condition first. Check the thread here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iam having the same problem with the hill assist and 4wd disabling in my 2013 Ford escape sel turbo. I bought the car in October of 2019 test drove etc didn't start having this problem from it till it started getting cold outside around end of November December. Hill assist is not my problem.the 4wd disabling is my major problem cause it stops be from being able to drive.i started warming up my car before I drive it and it usually works.or It usually restores with in a few secs of driving. but in colder weather it goes out untill the abs symbol comes on which can be alot longer. Am looking for what to look at before I take it back to the dealership I got it from or before I spend money for sensors or mechanics to check it out.the 2 worse times it happened were In colder morning weather.i also have just changed the battery due to the old one dieing.and got the one with 500 something cold starts for 200.please advise me if how y'all fixed y'all problems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you reset the battery monitor when you replaced the battery??? Have you checked the system for codes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts