2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium/2005 Ford Explorer Limited/1993 Ford Ranger XLT/1987 Jeep Wrangler
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night hit a custom made sledgehammer (1/2 inch re-bar handle, approx 18 inches long, weighs about 18lbs if i had to guess). It was dark and laying in the middle of the road, hit it doing the speed limit 65 mph, by the time i saw it it was too late). It was strong enough to flip around and lift the escape off the ground momentarily. I heard some loud noises (mostly banging.crunching sounds)馃が馃槨馃が馃槨馃が

I immediately pulled over. First thing i noticed was the steering wheel tightness was gone andand it was taking more rotations of the steering wheel to get wheels to move. Also when wheels are straight, steering wheel is at a 45 degree angle.

Next thing i got was hill descent control/traction control lights and messages and alert dings (do not remember if ABS light was mixed in, Im thinking so but will have to double check).

Luckily (or ironically) happened less than 2 miles from my parents house and I was able to take it slow and get it there.

Only thing I can see visually is the undercarriage shield that runs the length of the underbody missing (im guessing ripped off, went back later to see if I could find it but my guess is someone else hit it and grabbed it as it was rush hour), dont see any physical damage to control arms or anywhere else and no fluid dripping or anything hanging down.

Just curious if anyone has had anything similar happen or of any help narrowing down what might be damaged before I take it to a dealership (always nice to have an idea in case they try to "upsell"). I dont know enough about how these operate with the electrical steering hoping its just a wiring connector that got disconnected.

On a sidenote would it be unreasonable to ask them to show me what is damaged/needs tp be replaced before I sign off on the repairs? I seem to have been having issues with being overcharged for unnecessary repairs lately, taking it to a dealership ive had good luck with in the past but never know anymore.

Registered
Suggest you take your Escape in for Check.. by a good mechanic. It would be impossible to help you on this forum..

Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
You may want to seek help from your insurance company. This type of accident should be covered under comprehensive and not collision so your deductible may be much less.
I hit a deer once and found out I had a $50 comprehensive deductible.

Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Given what you hit (and the problems you've now got) I'd suggest investigating the insurance option too.

Reactions: Gryffindor101
1 - 4 of 4 Posts