2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2018 Escape three weeks ago. I had a 2012 Escape that I traded in. The biggest mistake I ever made was getting rid of it. The driver’s seat in my new one is probably the worst one I’ve ever sat in. I have a medical conditon and the seat makes the pain worse- so bad it brings me to tears. I’ve adjusted it every way possible. I’ve talked to a few others who have he same Escape and they agree the seats are awful. My other Escape was great. I am stuck with a car I can’t even stand to sit in for the next three years. I’m not sure what to do-if I CAN do anything. I am just beside myself about it.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry you are unhappy with your seat.

Some have commented they don't like 'em, but not a huge number of folks here have lodged a complaint. Maybe that's because those that found them unacceptable learned that during test drives and didn't buy the car, certainly no two car-seats are exactly the same. In any case it's obviously very much a 'personal fit' issue and a medical condition might exacerbate the problem or vice-versa.

Since you've exhausted the range of seat adjustments your likely next best step is to try various types of 'supplemental' pads and cushions. IF you find something or a combination that provides comfort then you might see if an upholstery shop can fabricate an overlay or alter your seat cushion under the existing upholstery to incorporate that shape and support.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally have been happy with mine though I have the vague sensation that I'm not sitting completely vertical in it. I came from a 2008 Ranger with a really bad bench seat so these are a real step up regardless.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a 2013 2 liter Titanium AWD full leather seats now over 83,000 miles
I weigh 168 lbs and am 68 years old.
I have no problems with the seats
I have driven over 600 miles in 1 day and can't complain!!

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
I don't "love" the seat in our '17. My butt is wider that the seat so I'm sitting on the raised sides of the seat. I just gotta grin and bear it. Besides, what do ya expect for a cheaply made car? Maybe the Lincolns are better? >:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not going to say that the seats in my 2018 SEL are luxurious however I've had much worse. If you have Amazon; you might consider something like this:

EXCEL LIFE Natural Wood Beaded Seat Cover Massaging Cool Cushion for Car Truck

If this doesn't fit your fancy, there are countless others to assist with comfort.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
I have a 2013 2 liter Titanium AWD full leather seats now over 83,000 miles

I weigh 168 lbs and am 68 years old.

I have no problems with the seats

I have driven over 600 miles in 1 day and can't complain!!

That’s good for you, but everyone is different. Some might find some seats comfortable while others do not. Not sure if the 2018 seats are different than your 2013. But this thread is on the driver seats on the newer gen Escapes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought my first Escape which was a 2012 had decent seats...Nothing compared to my Explorer seats but ok...Now with my 2016, 2017, and now my 2018 the seats need a bit more padding or cushioning or help to be really comfortable...I have driven all my Escapes for 8-10 hours at a time as well as the Explorer and wish I was still driving the Explorer...

That said I have used padded sheepskin seat covers on my last 3 Escapes and they make the time in the saddle more than bearable...

·
Registered
188 Posts
No issues with my 17'. I had an 02' FE and it took me a little while to get used to my 17' seats but I have no problem and can get comfortable.
Only thing I wish was that the headrest would go back one more notch. I sit at a comfortable angle but on long rides on the expressway the headrest being able to go back one more notch would be perfect.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I find my '17' SE front seats very comfortable...I sat in a Mazda cx-5, Subaru Forester, and Honda Accord seats, and found them to tight and firm for anything long term..That's just one of the reasons I went with the Escape..comfortable seating and position...To each his own...

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
After posting to this thread I started to think of what could be done to solve my particular problem. I contacted a friend who contacted a friend of his who does "auto upholstery". My friend also said that this guy redid the front seats of his "Edge" and they were perfect. As to cost, he said about 100 bucks. The guy removes the seat from the vehicle then removes the material and adds and reshapes the foam padding so it is even with the side "bolsters". The redone seat is the exact same height as the original seat. I'm gunna call this guy on Monday and if all goes well, I'll be doing business with him. I'll report back and let you all know how it worked out. :)

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
EXCEL LIFE Natural Wood Beaded Seat Cover Massaging Cool Cushion for Car Truck

If this doesn't fit your fancy, there are countless others to assist with comfort.
I am very familiar with those beaded seat covers. I spent 12 years as a coach bus driver and probably drove a million miles. In my experience with these beaded seat things, they feel quite nice at first put after a few months, the heavy duty nylon fishing line they use to hold the beads will break and you have wooden balls rolling about. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
I don't know if the Kuga seats are the same, but they certainly could do with some changes. The area in the backrest around the lumbar support mechanism seems to be strangely shaped. For me, I've found it best to have the lumbar support adjusted in to it's lowest setting. (That's with the leather electrical adjusting seats.) For me it's not something that shows up in a normal test drive- you'd need to go on a 1-2 hour drive.

@Cjay try visiting an auto upholsterer as they should be able to help. I've often pondered if the Recaro seats out of a Focus ST would bolt straight in?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a '13 escape and i find the seat themselves to be comfortable, however i do notice that the positioning of the seat can be a bit awkward. i wish the seat would move down closer to the floor more, sometimes it feels as though him sitting "on" the seat rather than "in" it if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Solved!!

I've just returned from the upholstery dude and my seat is now awesome. He dismantled the seat and added 1 inch of dense foam to the top of the seat and he added an inch to the underside of the seat. I was amazed at how little foam was used at the factory and the quality of the foam was poor. Also, the underside of the seat is probably about 50% plastic and no springs what so ever. Not impressed to say the least.
It took him 1 hour including removing and replacing the seat and he wanted 30 bucks :eek: I gave him 50$ so I could sleep tonight. :) AND most importantly "my wife loves it" too >:D

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
x2 to that.

But I also can agree with the seats. I find them "sufficient". But just about any good upolstry shop can modify them as above.

As well, another option depending on your trim level could be to hit up a junk yard and have them pull seats out of another escape. Like on my S model, Well maybe getting a model that has power would give more prescision in adjustment. I did this to my old F150. (Old being 2017 :/ ) which was an XL base model. I went to the scrap yard and grabbed a set of lariat 10 way leather seats for $500. Of course the bolted up. The wiring took some effort however.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 270 and find the Escape seat pretty comfortable. Not BarcaLounger big and comfortable, like my F-150 seats, but sufficiently adjustable to make a 7 hour drive without a stiff back. Of course, the small gas tank requires enough stops along the way to be able to get out and stretch. The 36 gallon F-150 tank has ruined me, you can go a long way without stopping. But you need a fat wallet when it runs low on fuel! Wonder how different the seats are from the S model to the Titanium, maybe it matters?

The only thing I find a little uncomfortable in the Escape is on the drivers door panel. The area behind the door speaker juts out just enough to "dig" into my leg and I find myself shifting foot position regularly. The left foot rest pedal doesn't really do enough to make a difference in leg comfort, either.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
The only thing I find a little uncomfortable in the Escape is on the drivers door panel. The area behind the door speaker juts out just enough to "dig" into my leg and I find myself shifting foot position regularly. The left foot rest pedal doesn't really do enough to make a difference in leg comfort, either.

I totally agree with you. I have that problem also.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts