2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I've just returned from the upholstery dude and my seat is now awesome. He dismantled the seat and added 1 inch of dense foam to the top of the seat and he added an inch to the underside of the seat. I was amazed at how little foam was used at the factory and the quality of the foam was poor. Also, the underside of the seat is probably about 50% plastic and no springs what so ever. Not impressed to say the least.
It took him 1 hour including removing and replacing the seat and he wanted 30 bucks :eek: I gave him 50$ so I could sleep tonight. :) AND most importantly "my wife loves it" too >:D
That's excellent news, very happy for you.

Hopefully others with seat issues will take encouraging note and seek out their local upholstery dude, too. IMHO you got a great deal (kudos for the 'value added tip' you paid) but still I think folks might be surprised at how little it can cost to get a bit of similar 'custom cushioning' work done.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
That's excellent news, very happy for you.

Hopefully others with seat issues will take encouraging note and seek out their local upholstery dude, too. IMHO you got a great deal (kudos for the 'value added tip' you paid) but still I think folks might be surprised at how little it can cost to get a bit of similar 'custom cushioning' work done.

Thanks :) Yes, I was expecting to pay around 100 bucks but he only charged me for the material. The price I paid is because he is a friend of a friend. It's not what you know but .......... :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only real issue I have is the whole issue of "we care- we use 95% recycled 2-liter bottles in our seats as part of our sustainability promise... yada yada yada" I don't care if the seats are made out of seal skins, just give me something comfortable. I'm buying it, stop posturing for whatever, and just give us a great seat. Our '16 seats are hard, and it seems like the only way they are decent is if you are sitting in that full back, upright, hands at 10 and 2 posture like a test dummy. On long drives, hardly anyone sits like that. But, it's what they had, so we tolerate it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MoneyPit do you happen to have a more detailed breakdown I could take to someoen in Alberta to do the seats potentially?

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
MoneyPit do you happen to have a more detailed breakdown I could take to someoen in Alberta to do the seats potentially?

OK: First remove the seat from the car after unplugging any wires you might find. Next, remove the cover on the seat part only. Carefully remove the "heated seat" element. Now, lift off all of the original foam padding. Place 1 inch of new foam then replace all of the original foam padding. Next, add 1 inch of new foam to the top side and replace the heated seat element. Replace the seat cover and reinstall the seat. Shouldn't take more than an hour. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I feel badly for those having problems with the seats, I find my 2018 SEL quite comfortable. The SEL has heated 10-way leather-trimmed seats, and tilt-telescoping steering wheel. This last feature for me, has a lot to do with overall comfort as I have some minor back and nerve issues from a motorcycle crash. I have driven Ford products almost exclusively since then because, with the exception of my '99 Cougar, I like the way I sit chair high vs in other brands. the T/T wheel helps with a nerve in my upper shoulders that occasionally cause my right arm to tingle slightly after long periods of light activity. I tend to sit rather upright and with the steering wheel low and away, but not to where I'm straight-armed. As fatigue sets in, I pull the wheel toward me and raise it a bit for awhile; more comfortable over a long drive than repositioning the seat.
It'l do until I get a 2019 suicide door Continental with 30-way seats-probably in 2039 :D

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
OK: First remove the seat from the car after unplugging any wires you might find. Next, remove the cover on the seat part only. Carefully remove the "heated seat" element. Now, lift off all of the original foam padding. Place 1 inch of new foam then replace all of the original foam padding. Next, add 1 inch of new foam to the top side and replace the heated seat element. Replace the seat cover and reinstall the seat. Shouldn't take more than an hour. :)

Any idea on what grade foam was used? (I looked into redoing some uncomfortable lounge chairs and quickly learned there are many different grades of upholstery foam.)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts