2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I messed up. Thinking I was doing the safe thing, I tried to set up a siphon hose to move gas from a can to the tank of my 13 SE 1.6 (watched a YouTube video). But when I put the plastic hose down the chute, it wouldn't come back out. So it's stuck in there. (I read the manual afterwards, where it said to use the funnel they provide and pour straight from the can.) I guess there's some kind of valve down there that the hose is stuck in.

Any ideas to get it loose?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well, I messed up. Thinking I was doing the safe thing, I tried to set up a siphon hose to move gas from a can to the tank of my 13 SE 1.6 (watched a YouTube video). But when I put the plastic hose down the chute, it wouldn't come back out. So it's stuck in there. (I read the manual afterwards, where it said to use the funnel they provide and pour straight from the can.) I guess there's some kind of valve down there that the hose is stuck in.

Any ideas to get it loose?
How far down did the tube go down the filler chute?
There should be a flap that is pushed open by the gas nozzle when you normally fill your car at a gas station.
Normally it is at the entry point but I am not sure about your model and it may be a bit further down the chute where you cannot see it and the hose has gone past it and is catching on it as it only opens inwards.

If this is the case try bending a piece of thick wire to fit down the chute and endeavour to press open the flap by trying to press all around the stuck tube as you gently pull on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How far down did the tube go down the filler chute?
There should be a flap that is pushed open by the gas nozzle when you normally fill your car at a gas station.
Normally it is at the entry point but I am not sure about your model and it may be a bit further down the chute where you cannot see it and the hose has gone past it and is catching on it as it only opens inwards.

If this is the case try bending a piece of thick wire to fit down the chute and endeavour to press open the flap by trying to press all around the stuck tube as you gently pull on it.
Thanks, wiz043.

All the way down to the bottom of the tank, unfortunately.

There's a flap at the top of the chute that opens when you put a nozzle in, but apparently there's another valve below it, and that's where the hose is stuck. I tried poking down there with a couple of different long, thin items but that didn't seem to help. I guess I could try a wire like you say, but to be honest I'm not too optimistic that will work either.

Used to be just a plain old open chute going down there. Dang newfangled designs...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You might try rotating the hose as you pull it out. It would be even better if you could attach the hose to something like a drill so you could spin it as you pull it out. But don’t go crazy, the other end down in the tank might thrash around and damage something. Try it by hand first.

Don’t do stuff like that without reading, or at least asking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try rotating the hose as you pull it out. It would be even better if you could attach the hose to something like a drill so you could spin it as you pull it out. But don’t go crazy, the other end down in the tank might thrash around and damage something. Try it by hand first.

Don’t do stuff like that without reading, or at least asking.
Well, I'd have to cut off the hose close to the chute entry in order to put a drill in it, which sounds risky to me.

I'll futz with it a bit more in the morning, and if that fails, take it into a shop. (Unless any other ideas pop up here first!)

Thanks, all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts