2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update to the original post.

Thanks to needliftnow's guide - Here is the document/thread - I was able to fix my flash drives. I have a 1gb, 4gb, and an 8gb that are all working after doing two things:

• format the drives as FAT32
  • shorten the names of the files to 20 characters (don't know if this really helped, but I had to rename the files anyway).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey guys,

I'm hoping you have some ideas that might fix my problem?

I have a 2013 Escape and I'm having intermittent issues with my flash drives.
I have several 1gb drives that are formatted FAT32 and have over 100 mp3 files on each drive.
I used an mp3 file splitter to break up audio books into 3 minute mp3's.
Until recently I had very few problems playing the split mp3's.

Now, if I put over 100 mp3's on the drive, it takes forever to load or it never finishes loadinig.
Or once I play to a certain number (over 100) on the playlist, it won't play any further and it starts from the beginning of the list.

Any ideas that might point me in the right direction? Use different drives? Different file splitter?
Meta data missing from mp3's? Ford software update?

Thanks for you help.

Randy

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
First, the last release for MFT was v3.10 so what version are you on?
Second I would try using exFat instead of FAT32, I use 128GB drives with over 87GB of 320k bit rate mp3s without any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jpohlman,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what version of MFT I'm on, but I will find out.
I bought my 2013 Escape in 2016 and have never had any software upgrades.
I'll try the exFat formatting as well.

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
536 Posts
@joatsaint I have over 1000 songs on my thumb drive and noticed it took 10 - 20 minutes sometimes for initial syncing when first connected. I also noticed occasional and unexpected re-syncing, when I never unplugged the thumb drive. For the hell of it, I just bought a new USB 3.1 thumb drive from Sandisk and not some cheap Chinese knock off). I figured even if the Escape can only read at USB 2.0 speeds, at least it is a Sandisk and those generally have fairly fast data transfer rates compared to other USB drive manufacturers. My intuition was correct. I compiled the brand new 1000 song USB drive and I had the entire thing synced up while listening to a single song. I have a few 2 TB USB 2.0 thumb drives from China and, although the data capacity is high, the data transfer rates are so slow that they usually crash or get corrupted during file transfer from a PC, especially on video files. I've noticed the fast USB thumb drives are the most expensive, and for good reason. They are worth it! I do have a fairly newer installed MFT (Sync 2) version if that makes a difference.

I will post a thread here soon about properly formatting, putting music on and, most importantly, creating and updating a playlist for a USB thumb drive. It'll have a bunch of screen shots on it. I've been meaning to publish that thread for some time as myself and many others have USB playlist issies...but I never had the time, LOL! I hope to get that posted here in a few weeks, so please keep an eye out for it. It may help you further.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@needliftnow, Thanks for posting. I was experimenting with different drives and found one 1gb FAT32 drive that will play my mp3's, but only to a certain number. Somewhere above track 100 it stops playing and starts back at track 1.
My other 2 drives are 6gb exFAT32, they will not sync.

I went to the Ford site and checked for MFT updates and there is one for my Escape. I was not able to figure out which version I am on.

Are you aware of any problems occurring after an MFT update? I'd hate to lose the ability to play mp3's off my flash drive.

Thanks for your help,

Randy

·
Registered
536 Posts
@joatsaint YW. From the sounds of it, I'd say your problem is with the files and playlist itself and not the Sync version. The labeling and encoding of every file is critical for a functional playlist. Not just the track # of your split audio files but also for any songs. If your playlist doesn't reference every song, the missing songs likely will not play (or play in the order that you would like). OK, you've given me a weekend project! I'll post back here once I have the new thread I was talking about posted!

In the meantime, check out this thread here about how to find your Sync version, update it and activate navigation on your Sync 2 (MFT)(for the large screen display only).

Reactions: joatsaint

·
Registered
536 Posts
@joatsaint Here is the document/thread I created here. I know it would take a long time to assemble the data and post it, hence it has took me 2 years to find the time to do!!! There really is no magic bullet to create and fix MP3 playlists anymore, so all the detail I provided there are from 10+ years of experimenting, tinkering and trial and error. It should help you with your problems. I covered just about every scenario as well. Good luck with getting your issue fixed. It should be possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@joatsaint Here is the document/thread I created here. I know it would take a long time to assemble the data and post it, hence it has took me 2 years to find the time to do!!! There really is no magic bullet to create and fix MP3 playlists anymore, so all the detail I provided there are from 10+ years of experimenting, tinkering and trial and error. It should help you with your problems. I covered just about every scenario as well. Good luck with getting your issue fixed. It should be possible.
Hey needliftnow, Thanks for taking the time to put together all that time and energy to create the guide. I'm going to experiment with the drives I have for a few hours and see if one of them works. The data transfer rate may be too slow, they are 'cheap' drives. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new drive - SanDisk Cruzer Fit you mentioned in the guide.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts