2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hot here now so AC has been on pretty steady. I was averaging around 53mpg with my Hybrid. But AC trips seem to drop it to 42-47mpg!? Is it that much of an additional load??

·
Registered
2015 escape se, 2.0eb, awd, currently 103k on the clock( june 2022)
4 Posts
From what i've seen it's pretty much unnoticable. Supposed to be better on the highway and worse in stop and go. You aren't going to see a 10 mpg swing with it on regardless. Something else is wrong or your driving habits have changed and you didn't notice.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,368 Posts
With a Hybrid if you drop it into Eco that changes the AC cooling behavior, overall it has less of an affect on MPG that it does with a conventional engine.
Summer temps just like winter temps can have an effect on your MPG, our 2020 Hybrid gets its best fuel economy between 60º-74º F and drops off a bit in roughly 8º increments.above that temp.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
767 Posts
It's hot here...
Where is "here?"

My "here" thinks 3 straight days of 90F is a heat wave. There are places where its know as a weekend. Conversely, I see 8' of snow. AC isn't an issue; I've looked for an effect and can't see it in my current driving... but then, I'm doing longer distances these days so any cool-down load is spread over a lot of miles.

We all know short trips kill mileage. It's worst in cold weather, but I bet there are usage modes where hot weather would use a lot more AC power, maybe short trips with heat soak between?

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
56 Posts
A study in the 1970's showed that air conditioning at speed is better economy wise than open windows. The benefits are seen above 30 mph if memory serves.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
767 Posts
A study in the 1970's showed that air conditioning at speed is better economy wise than open windows.
That was using belt-driven AC, and it's only true at higher speeds. "Myth" Busters proved the opposite by going slow.

Modern, multi-stage electric compressors are far more efficient than belt driven, with nearly infinite control.

·
Registered
61 Posts
21 se 1.5 ice in north central Texas where we are working on a long string of 100*f + days (38*C +) my commute is 70% highway and with AC in auto mode it drops the Average MPG 2mpg over cooler weather with windows open. my old 2009 focus SE sport coupe, also averaged 2mpg less with ac on. my work vehicle with a 6.8 liter V-10 averages 7mpg rain or shine day in and out.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
192 Posts
5+ depending on usage. I don't use ac period. Unless I don't want to sweat...it's a small battery, ac uses alot of power....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya its a variable compression AC. so it only pumps as hard as needed, no wasted energy.
I'd say AC use doesnt add too much load, unless its running full tilt.
Very interesting.

So my comparison is between a 70 degree day with windows up all the time (no AC and no fan on)
VS a 100 degree day with windows also up but AC on Auto.

If it's a variable compressor (I never knew), it's logical that on 100 deg days I would be best served leaving the AC on constantly instead of turning it off and back on when I get uncomfortable? So it's not running full tilt but more just maintaining interior temp. Cool!

And I was thinking it was belt driven 🤣. (if this thing only has a 15hp electric motor, and the AC takes an additional 3-5hp to run....). Full electric compressor explains why when it's running on full tilt, the little blue ELECTRIC bar just shoots to the left when the battery gets close to empty... Because the compressor is running at max.

Thank you all! I think this was very helpful!

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
192 Posts
Belt driven, variable drive, I don't know what all that means but I know that running the ac on fan speed 2!!! Around town causes me a lost of about 5mpg. I could only imagine it running full blast or going 50+. No matter how big or small the ac is, something has to power it....I don't care what argument you give, ford might of done things to help in reducing power, but if things were so magical then it would cost nothing to power entire buildings. The AC in the escapes are pretty small and under powered I feel. Likely for a reason.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
63 Posts
I was wondering about this too since my mileage has dropped by around 5mpg since I have been using the AC more. I did a little test to check this out because I wasn't going into electric mode even when I kept off the gas at times. When I turned the AC off, it went right into electric mode. Not exactly sure what this means in relation to MPG, but it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
192 Posts
I was wondering about this too since my mileage has dropped by around 5mpg since I have been using the AC more. I did a little test to check this out because I wasn't going into electric mode even when I kept off the gas at times. When I turned the AC off, it went right into electric mode. Not exactly sure what this means in relation to MPG, but it makes me wonder.
The AC is just like the heater in some aspects, it needs the ice to run. In my 2021, while in the car wash, I was wondering why the ac was blowing warm air. I was already thinking something is wrong and planning in my head when to schedule service this week.
As soon as I proceeded off the car wash line and the ice kicked on, the AC started blowing cold air. I typically don't use AC because it takes too much energy. Knowing this while pulling up to the car wash I purposely used the ice to give the battery a good charge so I wouldn't be running the ice during the carwash. During the carwash when the ac wasn't blowing cold, I tried every setting and it all blew warm air...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts