2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure about the 2.5 and 1.6 liter Escapes but I'm pretty sure the 2.0 liters are mated onto Ford's 6F35 transmissions. The 6F35 was made from medium levels of power with the 6F50 automatic handling the tougher loads like the Taurus SHO.

I know that there are a few of us on here that has upgraded our Escapes especially through flashing the Escape's computer system. It seems that most people have done this without any major issues with their transmissions (such as a unresponsive or slipping transmission). I wonder what are the long term issues of upgrading our cars and exactly how much power can the Escape create without being too much.

From what I've read the 6F35 was made only to handle medium loads of power which means mid 200 horsepower and 300 torque or so. Those of you who have flashed your cars - how does your transmissions feel or seem to be holding up?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
IMHO the vast majority of the folks that are modifying these FE's are rarely actually subjecting their drivetrains to the additional stress those mods might be capable of delivering.

Running lots of track-days or entering competition events with yours? Did I miss seeing your FE in a 'drifting' video on YouTube? Using it to tow extreme weights? Picking 'street fights' with Porsches and leaving lots of rubber on the street when you launch?

Not at all trying to flame (I sure tinker with my non-FE vehicles) but are you really using all your new-gained HP/TQ in a way that is likely to be felt at the tranny?

All Q's rhetorical - no answer requested ;-)

·
Registered
155 Posts
miss seeing your FE in a 'drifting' video on YouTube? Using it to tow extreme weights?

Not at all trying to flame (I sure tinker with my non-FE vehicles) but are you really using all your new-gained HP/TQ in a way that is likely to be felt at the tranny?

Not yet but just you wait til next week!! =P

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
^^^^ OOOOooooo!!! You are SUCH A TEASE, Mister Slippery!!!.... DO TELL!!!...

Reactions: slipstream808

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
^^^^ Sorry, that was a bit, excessive...

Back on topic...
In this Blueovalforums.com thread, the number 350 lb-ft of torque (after the torque converter) seems to be thrown around at least a few times (regarding the 6f35 , starting at post number 19, IDK how knowledgable these posters actually are, but that's what they say...):
F150 To Get 2.7L EB First - Ford Motor Company Discussion Forum - Blue Oval Forums

I also thought that pages 4 & 5 of this PDF may be useful in this conversation as well:
http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2009/2009-01/2009_1_44.pdf

I wonder if it's possible to do a direct swap of a 6f50/6f55 to the FE, as those transmissions appear to be more robust than the standard FE trans. I read somewhere that they have the same housings and electronics, just different/stronger internals, but I'm not sure...

Reactions: Hitokiri

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMHO the vast majority of the folks that are modifying these FE's are rarely actually subjecting their drivetrains to the additional stress those mods might be capable of delivering.
Well it only takes once for your transmission to fail.

Well I would hate to go down a quarter mile strip or step on it on the road just to have my transmission fail. It seems you're under the assumption that it takes many times for a transmission to fail but when something is not made to hold a certain number of horspower/torque/revs that thing could break on the first time. I rather not risk that.

Plus I'm thinking about maybe upgrading the turbo thus why I'm asking. I know a couple of us on here are thinking the same thing as well.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if it's possible to do a direct swap of a 6f50/6f55 to the FE, as those transmissions appear to be more robust than the standard FE trans. I read somewhere that they have the same housings and electronics, just different/stronger internals, but I'm not sure...
That's what I was wondering as well. I looked for info on this swap and I found nothing which is surprising. Maybe it's because the guys with engines like the 2.0 Ecoboost with the 6F35 transmission haven't gone that far yet unforunatley. The aftermarket doesn't seem to feel it's worth to test or try as well. :(

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Well it only takes once for your transmission to fail.

Well I would hate to go down a quarter mile strip or step on it on the road just to have my transmission fail. It seems you're under the assumption that it takes many times for a transmission to fail but when something is not made to hold a certain number of horspower/torque/revs that thing could break on the first time. I rather not risk that.

Plus I'm thinking about maybe upgrading the turbo thus why I'm asking. I know a couple of us on here are thinking the same thing as well.
Fair enough and you're of course correct. I sincerely look forward to the vid of yours running down the track ... bracket racing is a hoot!
;)

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Like it was said its mated to our engine specs. In flying, there is a Pratt & whitney engine PT6, one of the most used turbo prop engines, however in different aircraft it will put out different amounts of HP and torque, ie if one company has it rated to 2000 SHP, others will have it down to 1600 SHP, now that also lengthen its time between overhauls.

Sure we can feed more power and the transmission can probably hold it, but it will degrade the life, without parts that can withstand that amount of force (ie: Dodge Challenger Hellcat) similar engine block to other Challengers in the line up, but most of the parts are heat treated too withstand the HP thats running through that engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. I have the common 2/3 hang shift and have had to get the transmission in my car rebuilt once already. I would love to have a tune to eliminate the hang shifts, and to have it behave properly. I'm afraid that I've built this up in my mind and if I were to get tuned, it would ultimately disappoint. Can anyone chime in on their experience with the 6f35 and being tuned?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. I have the common 2/3 hang shift and have had to get the transmission in my car rebuilt once already. I would love to have a tune to eliminate the hang shifts, and to have it behave properly. I'm afraid that I've built this up in my mind and if I were to get tuned, it would ultimately disappoint. Can anyone chime in on their experience with the 6f35 and being tuned?
Which engine do you have?

The tuner, like SCT, (not sure on livernois), can firm up shifts. I think it just adjusts the solenoids to open/close faster. You are the first person I've heard of to have had a transmission rebuilt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 1.6 and the rebuild wasn't directly related to the valve body; the torque convertor wasn't locking up when on the expressway. I've been researching over on 2gfusions.net and saw that sonnax makes a "zip kit" to keep the solenoids completely closed and not allow extra fluid to seep back into the valvebody? Regardless, the flares are becoming more prominent now, and I know it is a characteristic of this transmission, but I am worried that it will cause the transmission to fail again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is old but it's only thread coming up that saw so far. Looking at 2013-2016 Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 Ecoboost for DD duty. Being an automotive enthusiast I've been researching ways to make the Escape better. Looks like some tuning can be done to get more power as is common with turbo motors. I'm wondering about max power the engine can handle but also the power the trans can handle. Also wondering if anyone has yet transplanted a 6F50/6F55 into an Escape. Looks like the 2017 Fusion Sport uses the 6F55 putting out 325HP and 380TQ. That would seem like the ticket if a swap could be done. Be nice to have power like that in the Escape. :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,422 Posts
The Lincoln MKC is supposed to be based on the Escape platform and uses the 2.3l EcoBoost engine with (what I assume is) the same 6F35 transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,422 Posts
Did you try a search (via Google etc) or look on Lincoln's website?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Of course I tried google. All the specs I found were showing 2.0. I only saw the same trans as the Escape as well. Google must have decided I don't need all the information :). I'll dig a little deeper next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I know this is kinda a old thread but after doing some digging I've come across a website that does appear to now sale upgraded clutch packs for the 6f35 Gen 1 and 2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts