2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
i don't like when people rely too much on their trade in to bring in money. i believe, because this is how i did it, that if you are looking for a new car you shouldn't expect anything out of your trade in older than 5 years old. sure you will get something but a trade in should not be the deal breaker, you obviously liked the car and thought they had a good deal, plus you shouldn't be purchasing a car if you don't have the funds or if you think you are going to struggle with them.

sure i bought a used car, but its wonderful and was such a deal that i kept my other car just to have it if i ever feel like driving it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I checked out out an Escape on Sat. (17, 2.0L, Cold Weather) The price on internet was listed at 21,914 , which if you know your escapes, this is a steal. At the dealer I looked at the sales computer and saw it said DEMO about this vehicle. After I test drove they were giving me a hard time about the price which they said didnt go into effect until next week. They tried to tell me about something called a buyer hold or some crap which my instincts told me was bull so I took a walk. Still on the search

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Punk, that first deal is better than anything I'd be offered where I live. As for your trade-in, why not sell it yourself? From your description of its book value, it sounds like what the dealer offered was actually reasonable but maybe you can get more selling it yourself.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I checked out out an Escape on Sat. (17, 2.0L, Cold Weather) The price on internet was listed at 21,914 , which if you know your escapes, this is a steal. At the dealer I looked at the sales computer and saw it said DEMO about this vehicle. After I test drove they were giving me a hard time about the price which they said didnt go into effect until next week. They tried to tell me about something called a buyer hold or some crap which my instincts told me was bull so I took a walk. Still on the search
Buyer holds are real, at least for my dealer. When I was buying my car, I did a hold on it for a week while I finished my home refinance and then did the deal. No money changed hands.

In their words, "we do all the paperwork, but we don't make it 'real'". Making-it-real was the final thing an administrative person did in finalizing it in the system. It didn't hit my final credit report pull for closing, or anything else. I settled literally the day before I went to pick up the car.

Yes, dealers can be wankers -- but they also have a variety of ways to help you and the dealer make a deal. For them such things are win-win. They get a sale, and the customer gets the car they want even if they need to wait a bit to get it.

Not saying your dealer is great, but they likely can do a hold for you on the vehicle and it's legitimate.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Check back next week to see if it is still there.

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
63 Posts
you need to put a little time in with them so they feel like you're invested in their invested and then just say no and walk away a few times and I promise the price will keep going down any price they give you upfront is tons over what they have in it and I'll don't pay for anything extra except for tax title tags and I got screwed because I also paid for the VIN etching but they said they wouldn't sell me the car without paying for it cuz they'd already put it in but they went from $200 to $50 on even that and that's the only thing I tried paid don't buy gap don't buy any of that other crap you can get it on your own if you really think you need it but all of it is just sales crap that financing guy in quotes is just their best salesman I went from a $16,000 sticker price before adding on tax title tags and everything to 15 out the door and I feel like I could have done better but my car was literally falling apart and they wanted to give me $500 for my trade-in I got that up to $1,500 when it would literally overheat after driving for 2 minutes

21 - 26 of 26 Posts