2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am looking for some answers and discussion around how the newer hybrids work because I have not been able to find straight and to-the-point information by looking through manuals, forums, and the rest of the internet.
(For Reference, I have a 2020 SE Sport Hybrid)

1. How does the Atkinson engine interact with the motors for the wheels? Just power generation?
  2. What is Low gear on a vehicle like this with electric motors, considering that motors just give near linear torque?
  3. Is there any other reason than design that the regular battery is in the back?
  4. Dumb question: How do you jump-start/jump-start another vehicle with this layout?
  5. What kind of cooling system, if any, does the battery pack have? Does it use the AC system fans?
  6. Is there a technical way of viewing (through some secret sync menu) the state of charge of the HV battery?
  7. Should there be any concern of wear and tear to the (radar?) and camera on the front windshield due to high heat?
  8. Would it be mechanically possible somewhere down the line to install a larger HV battery?
  9. Why is the HV battery seemingly limited to give only 15-20 kW to the motors before it switches to gas?
  10. What is the location/what type of sensors are around the vehicle?
  11. What are the contents of the sync computer board?
  12. I cannot for the life of me seem to find the cabin air filter and don't want to start taking a brand new car apart. Does anyone know the location, and if it would be possible to stick a HEPA filter in there without overheating the fans or breaking anything?
  13. Where is the cabin-only air option air intake? Does it still run through the cabin filter?
  14. Why is there a seal on the front of the hood? Aerodynamics?
  15. What is the capacity of the HV battery, and what chemestry does it use? Li-ion? NiMH? What is the expected mac capacity drain over time?
Thank you for any and all answers and discussion. I am just curious and would like to know how these types of cars work. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi, I am looking for some answers and discussion around how the newer hybrids work ...
I find no dearth of info out there. After all this is not one of the "newer" hybrid drivetrains, c. 1972 on the patent. There are several approaches to hybrid drivetrains. The TRW powersplit device is only one option, but it's the one we've got.

1) no different than any Toyota or Ford hybrid. The ICE (internal combustion engine) serves a different purpose than conventional drivetrains that tie ICE speed to the wheels. It does power the wheels directly, when EV is off, or indirectly, by generating electricity. Really nothing new here.
2) In my C-Max, "L" gear was like having a hydrostatic transmission; speed depended on throttle position. Back off and you slow down. I haven't tried it on the Escape. And NO motors do not output consistent torque. They are current limited to their maximum torque from 0 RPM, then fall off at high RPM.
3) No space under the hood due to the motors and circuitly that's absent in conventional drivetrains.
4) There are jump points defined under the hood. Read the ... manual.
5) HVB (high voltage battery) has its own liquid cooling system. That's the big improvement; smaller battery that can do more because it's thermally controlled.
6) No. Ford screwed this up; you need HVB SOC (state of charge). There are ways to infer it, but they're not simple.
7) Radar and cameras are mature technologies. No heat concerns.
8) Jumping into the deep end here. Watch the Weber State videos and you'll understand what a bad idea that is. The link is all his Ford offerings, scroll down for HF35 and prior Ford drivetrains. Escape HF45 teardown is promised.
9) Yeah... rated to 88kW but all we get is 20 kW. Floor it and you'll get a lot more than 20kW out of EV. No idea why
10) Look for quarter-sized round plugs - proximity sensors - around the perimeter at knee level, lenses for cameras, and flat panels for radar. Easy to find.
11) Good luck....
12) Car's too new for folks to be changing filters yet; my understanding is that it's under the glovebox, and a lot easier to get to than in my old C-Max. Where do you think you're going with a HEPA filter? This is not the place for one. Too much leakage of fine particles through things like doors and windows.
13) Recirculate?
14) Yup!

Hope this helps,
Frank

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
425 Posts
2) It's a max gear ratio setting (the CVT is a belt/cone design)

4) The 12v battery is actually the booting battery, so while someone else could give you a jump experience with my Fusion Hybrid is that you can't really give someone else a jump.
The ICE shuts down when you're idling and you lose the extra amps from the alternator.

11) There's a WiKi on this and quite a bit of info on the Fusion/F-150 Sync3 forums.

12. The cabin air filter is the same accordion design as the 2013-2019, the installation is similar.

15) Li-On has been Ford's standard since 2013

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
425 Posts
2) It's a max gear ratio setting (the CVT is a belt/cone design)

4) The 12v battery is actually the booting battery, so while someone else could give you a jump experience with my Fusion Hybrid is that you can't really give someone else a jump.
The ICE shuts down when you're idling and you lose the extra amps from the alternator.

11) There's a WiKi on this and quite a bit of info on the Fusion/F-150 Sync3 forums.

12. The cabin air filter is the same accordion design as the 2013-2019, the installation is similar.

15) Li-On has been Ford's standard since 2013

·
Registered
80 Posts
Regarding #4: Jumpstarting Another car.
Last month the battery in my wife’s six year old car died. For four months it had mostly sat in our driveway. So, I used our jumper cables in the usual way to start her car. I connected from the 12v battery that is in the rear of our 2020 Ford Escape SE Sport hybrid. Seemed to work in the usual way. I never even considered jump points under the front hood. I will have to check the owners manual. Still, the “usual“ did work for us.

·
Registered
213 Posts
2) It's a max gear ratio setting (the CVT is a belt/cone design) ...
The power split device contains no belts or cones. You're thinking of a conventional, 2-shaft, continuously variable transmission. In 1971, TRW figured out a different approach to transmissions. Look for patent US373751.

The PSD is a 3-shaft system. The speed of two shafts is constrained, one by road speed, the other by engine speed. The third shaft is not constrained. It can rotate at high speed in either direction. This freedom allows the other two shaft's speed to vary independently. Engine speed and road speed have no forced relationship. Neat system.

Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, I am looking for some answers and discussion around how the newer hybrids work because I have not been able to find straight and to-the-point information by looking through manuals, forums, and the rest of the internet.
(For Reference, I have a 2020 SE Sport Hybrid)

1. How does the Atkinson engine interact with the motors for the wheels? Just power generation?
  2. What is Low gear on a vehicle like this with electric motors, considering that motors just give near linear torque?
  3. Is there any other reason than design that the regular battery is in the back?
  4. Dumb question: How do you jump-start/jump-start another vehicle with this layout?
  5. What kind of cooling system, if any, does the battery pack have? Does it use the AC system fans?
  6. Is there a technical way of viewing (through some secret sync menu) the state of charge of the HV battery?
  7. Should there be any concern of wear and tear to the (radar?) and camera on the front windshield due to high heat?
  8. Would it be mechanically possible somewhere down the line to install a larger HV battery?
  9. Why is the HV battery seemingly limited to give only 15-20 kW to the motors before it switches to gas?
  10. What is the location/what type of sensors are around the vehicle?
  11. What are the contents of the sync computer board?
  12. I cannot for the life of me seem to find the cabin air filter and don't want to start taking a brand new car apart. Does anyone know the location, and if it would be possible to stick a HEPA filter in there without overheating the fans or breaking anything?
  13. Where is the cabin-only air option air intake? Does it still run through the cabin filter?
  14. Why is there a seal on the front of the hood? Aerodynamics?
  15. What is the capacity of the HV battery, and what chemestry does it use? Li-ion? NiMH? What is the expected mac capacity drain over time?
Thank you for any and all answers and discussion. I am just curious and would like to know how these types of cars work. :)
I believe for #6 someone mentioned the eco coach has a related display. My 2016 lincoln mkz hybrid had one and a gauge where it showed you exactly when you went from ev to engine mode which I used to get a bit higher mpegs if safely able to depending on driving conditions.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Seemed to work in the usual way. I never even considered jump points under the front hood. ...
I recently jumped my daughter's car. Jump points under the hood work in the usual way. I used Sport mode to keep the engine running.

I believe for #6 someone mentioned the eco coach has a related display. ...
I recently found a new way to sense SOC on the high side.

Look at the vehicle graphic showing where energy and torque are going. The HVB changes color when charging (yellow) and discharging (blue). This switch occurs at much lower throttle settings than EV>0. The higher SOC, the less throttle needed to switch to discharge. The threshold throttle level is an inverse surrogate for SOC, lower threshold, higher SOC.

See what you think.
Frank

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m wondering what you guys will DO with that state of charge info?? I don’t see how it would affect the way I drive.

What I’m curious about is what appears to be coolant lines (or some sort of fluid) going to a box in the exhaust near the center of the car. Is this some kind of warm-up aid where residual exhaust heat is used to preheat coolant or the HV battery?

·
Registered
213 Posts
... coolant or the HV battery?
Coolant for the HVB. The HVB is liquid cooled... perhaps heated but I don't see why above 0F.

HVB SOC matters because we're allowed to use more EV power with higher SOC. Knowing SOC is very useful riding the terrain, where you decide several times a minute to glide on EV or use engine power and charge the HVB. The Hybrid Game.

Reactions: GHinWI
1 - 10 of 10 Posts