2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is a turbo oil feed line leak and an independent shop is telling me they have to remove the turbo to change it which I do not believe to be realistic.

I am hoping I can change it myself, from below and or above, I've been doing nearly all my own car repair for 45+ years so am asking if anyone here has changed theirs and if it is not too bad of a job. I think this is a photo of the return line posted by another member. this one looks to be easily changed from below but I need to change the upper pressure line..

I don't want to get hosed by the dealer.

Thanks for any help.

Bob
turbo oil line.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello bob I am a 9 yr certified ford tech here in florida. The turbo oil feed tube can indeed be changed without removing the turbo. I've done it before. Its a little bit of work but sounds like something you can do if you have time and patience. There is no outlined procedure in the work shop manual for just that part, but I have installed a turbo and forgot to replace the old line with a new line on and didn't want to backtrack. Remove wiper arms and cowl panels, they're 2 pieces sandwiched together then the air cleaner outlet pipe(from filter to turbo) The turbo heat shield can be removed with a little wiggling and bending-4 bolts (8mm I believe) all can be gotten from the top with the cowl removed there is a surprising amount of room to work- although tough because the coolant tube are almost right against it. The coolant tube on the pass. side can be positioned out of the way just a little if you remove the hold down bolt on the back of the head. With part of the oil feed tube being a flexile line you are able to remove and install by kinda snaking it between the engine and the turbo wastegate vacuum regulator. Oil supply tube bolt on turbo is torqued 19 lb.ft. Bolt to head is 89 lb.in. Good luck. Nick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Nick, thank you very much for the detailed description and the torque values too!

I have had the cowl panel off already and it does open up a lot more room for getting to the back of the motor. Its very tight and packed so this will be fun but I like a challenge.

I really appreciate your help. Will report back on how it goes.

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nick,

You were absolutely right on target! I followed your instruction and had a success. I took my time and got it done in under 3 hours. Removing the shield took most of my time, it was a bit of a struggle but since it is flexible and easily "influenced" it submitted to my brute strength. That was the worst of it.

I did notice I have another leak on what looks like the power steering cooler, I topped it off with Mercon LV but will be replacing that hose as well.

Thank you very much for your help!

Bob

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts