2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Im new here. I have a 2017 ford escape sport. Im having some problems with my vehicle. Everytime we drive it, our info system will shut off and will say battery saving or something. Car will continue to run. I downloaded forscan and reset the bms. But it didnt work and continue to shutoff. And it almost shut the engine off as well.
Is there anyway I can disble the bms using forscan? If someone know how I would really appreciate it.
I live in Nunavut Canada, most northern part of canada and we dont have a dealer here. The vehicle has to be flown out of the community to do so. So dealer is off the table.
I only drive maybe 2kms to work. Always plug it in and comes with a battery tender installed so it trickle charge the battery. At home I have a heated garage. Just some background.
We just bought the vehicle from someone in town.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,340 Posts
Always plug it in and comes with a battery tender installed so it trickle charge the battery.
May I ask exactly how your battery tender is connected to your Escape battery?

IF the negative (-) wire from the battery tender is connected directly to the negative battery terminal that will cause problems because it by-passes the BMS sensor. The tender negative (-) needs to be connected at the jump-post labeled "disconnect first reconnect last" in this pic:

The positive (+) wire from the tender may be connected directly to the positive (+) battery terminal, no problem.

Not sure if that could be contributing to your issue, but might bear checking.
IF you see corrosion on the small BMS sensor module (located integral with the battery clamp on the negative battery cable) OR corrosion / damage on the small 2-wire connector to that small module, that will definitely cause issues.

The BMS Sensor integral with the negative cable is here:

The pigtail to repair the 2-wire connector is here:
Wire Assembly - Ford (DU2Z-14S411-AZA) | TascaParts.com

If you order parts from Tascaparts for DIY replacement you should always provide your VIN to ensure you get the correct replacement items.
BTW, you should never do the FORScan 'BMS reset' unless / until you install a new battery; do not do the 'reset' no matter how many times you disconnect or remove and reinstall a battery, only when you install a brand new battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help.

I should look into your reccomendations.

Anyway to disable the bms by anychance?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,340 Posts
Anyway to disable the bms by anychance?
That's not a step I would personally consider prudent, so I've not investigated to find out if it's possible or the implications if it is.

IMO the Battery Monitoring System (which is more than just the sensor on the battery cable), and the overall Escape Charging System Strategy that it plays a significant role in operating correctly, should be maintained intact. Noting that the workshop manual makes it clear that the BMS (both system and sensor) bear directly on the moment-to-moment management of alternator output.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I also would reccomend that you search and read threads on this board that deal with battery, battery replacement, and other battery related topics. This is a thoughly discussed and documented topic. There is a great deal of engineering behind some of the advice you will get here. I echo @centex in that, I would never consider disabling the BMS. IMHO, it is too cricitcal a device that affects nearly every other system in the car.

Reactions: Vader101
1 - 8 of 8 Posts