2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I'm filling up at free charging station and Ford Pass says it will be filled up in 2 3/4 hours and I started from zero. :) Working in charging stations on your trips can significantly improve your gas mileage. I need to monitor how much time it takes to charge to 20%,30%,40% and up to 100% to see the most efficient way to get max range for say 12 hrs using only EV.

BTW people who have their own business can write off charging on their electric bill if they can't do it for free. Funny I hadn't thought about it before now. I have been writing off the gas part but not the electric part because it cost more at work than at home. These days I seem to be averaging around 50 miles range with temps in the high 80's.

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
I monitored my charging with Level 2 charger today and with several data points it was charging at 20 mi./hr. until about 2 1/2 hrs which for me is about 50 mile range. At 2hr 52 min. I was at 99% SOC and 54 mi. range and at 3 hrs. 10 min. I was fully charged and 55 mi. range. It would appear that if you are going long distance traveling there is no good reason to charge more than 2 1/2 hrs. from 0 range. Of course if you are charging over night you might as well go to 100% SOC.🙂 I did get to 50 miles this morning when I ran out of charge.

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
With my challenge to only use FREE Charging Stations I have been getting down to 0 Miles to empty charge often, I have been able to go 1.5 - 3 miles after I hit 0 miles. Today I was able to drive 4.8 mi. from Post Office to Charge Point charging station with 1 mi. range left. without running out of charge. Good thing to know.

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
With my challenge to only use FREE Charging Stations I have been getting down to 0 Miles to empty charge often, I have been able to go 1.5 - 3 miles after I hit 0 miles. Today I was able to drive 4.8 mi. from Post Office to Charge Point charging station with 1 mi. range left. without running out of charge. Good thing to know.

Paul
After the "big" battery (electric miles) runs out, the standard hybrid is between 1.5-2 miles depending on input of lead on bottom of right foot!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
To get the Best Range in a FEHP Free Charging is the way to go and a lot of FORD Dealers have Charging Stations, but some have problems. This past weekend I did a 210 mile around trip , I tried to charge at two FORD Dealers and at one the Level 2 charger acted like a Level 1 charger, in one hour I got 5 miles of range instead of 19 miles I usually get. The second Dealer had a new Level 2 charger installed inside the showroom so you couldn't use it, what a stupid thing to do. In FL. I had stopped at a Lincoln Dealership and their Level 2 wasn't working also. Now that I think about it I have only been at two FORD Dealers that the Charging worked right, Mike Fitzpatrick Ford in Newnan, GA, my Dealer and one down in FL on I-95. I ended up getting about 80 mpg with about 30 miles of EV and the rest in EV Later. So it cost me about $12 of Premium for the trip.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, im a new owner of 2021 escape hpev. Not sure if that's an issue but i charged my car at 110/120v charging today but the charging stopped at 99% (i didnt set up any charging target, so it's supposed to be 100%), and it wouldnt charge anymore, in the APP, it shows "Plugged in not charging" msg. I've tried to unplug and replug in, started the car and shut it down then re-plugged, still not charging to 100. The charging ring (the blue light) became blue when i plugged in, then after seconds it turned off. On the car it shows 99% too. The power outlet and charging cord are both fine

is it some kinda battery protection thingy?

And other silly questions..
1. Does the Grade Assist reduce or affect the mileages?
2. Is it possible to turn off that "Hill Assist"(The feature that automatically slows down the car when on downhill)?
3. Should i charge the battery to 100% every time?

Thank you!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
That is odd, I have seen it go to 99% in three hrs. from empty and then sit for 20-30 min. before hitting 100% charge. I attribute it to balancing the charge in the individual battery packs. The battery will probably last longer if you only go to 80%. I have seen higher SOC (91% on ScanGaugeII) at 99% then 100% SOC on the Display. Regen isn't as efficient as coasting in Neutral, but if you need to use the brakes make sure you are in Drive so the regen works to charge the HVB. When I can I charge to 100% because I need the range.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, im a new owner of 2021 escape hpev. Not sure if that's an issue but i charged my car at 110/120v charging today but the charging stopped at 99% (i didnt set up any charging target, so it's supposed to be 100%), and it wouldnt charge anymore, in the APP, it shows "Plugged in not charging" msg. I've tried to unplug and replug in, started the car and shut it down then re-plugged, still not charging to 100. The charging ring (the blue light) became blue when i plugged in, then after seconds it turned off. On the car it shows 99% too. The power outlet and charging cord are both fine

is it some kinda battery protection thingy?

And other silly questions..
1. Does the Grade Assist reduce or affect the mileages?
2. Is it possible to turn off that "Hill Assist"(The feature that automatically slows down the car when on downhill)?
3. Should i charge the battery to 100% every time?

Thank you!
Happened again today, stopped charging at 98%, the charging light ring turned off, app showed "Plugged in not charging". But this time, I replugged it, started the car (If I didnt start the car, replug-in didnt work), then it began to charge again until 100%.. weird.. anyone knows why?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
You will need to get your Dealer to talk to FORD to see if they can come up with a reason. In the big picture it doesn't make a difference in range. When fully charged my ScanGaugeII will read about 90.5 to 91.2% SOC so fully charged isn't a exact number.

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I'm thinking of making a video on "How to Drive FEHP/FEH for the Best Range and MPG"
like I did for the CMAX and was wondering if there was anyone interested in helping in this effort. I'm in the SW Atlanta area. It is amazing that there are so many "Test Reviews on the FEHP" and non of them understand how the car works. I was wondering if others noticed this too.

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Today I filled up at work on Level 1 car supplied charger and the charge port light stayed on about 15 min. after the car said it was 100% SOC, 54 mile range with actual ScanGaugeII HVB SOC at 91.2% and after the plug light went out the SOC went up to 91.4% and 61 miles of range. I have seen this so many times that I consider it normal. I'm going 26 miles after work and will be able to see what the actual range is going to be.

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Today I filled up at work on Level 1 car supplied charger and the charge port light stayed on about 15 min. after the car said it was 100% SOC, 54 mile range with actual ScanGaugeII HVB SOC at 91.2% and after the plug light went out the SOC went up to 91.4% and 61 miles of range. I have seen this so many times that I consider it normal. I'm going 26 miles after work and will be able to see what the actual range is going to be.

Paul
Well I ended up with 54 mi. on that full charge. Yesterday had similar situation with starting out with 60 mi. range and after going home 7 mi. I still had 59 miles total range, but then I had to use the AC with my wife in the car, temps in high 80's and high humidity for 20 miles. This morning I ran out at 49.8 mi., two miles short of the charging station so I ended up using 1 mile of ICE.

Paul

201 - 216 of 216 Posts