2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Not sure what your other PHEV's are but for me I only use EV Now and EV Later where I have control, Normal does what it wants to do. Only time I use Normal is by accident when I forget I'm in EV Later and turn off the car and then turn it on it reverts back to Normal. On the FWY I average about 50 mpg in EV Now and 57-60 mpg EV Now.

Paul

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
781 Posts
The PHEV HVB is partitioned, with a small portion used in hybrid mode when the main battery has run out.

Anyone concerned about battery aging near 0% or 100% should consider that time matters, too. If you run the HVB down at the start of a long trip, finishing the day's drive in hybrid mode, then plug in, you only spent a few hours at 0%, not days or months. Same with topping off at 100% before leaving on a trip that will draw the battery down; a few hours at 100% or 0% will not cause any noticeable harm!

And this is all before we talk about the buffers Ford builds in at high and low charge, so 0% and 100% are well within the technology's capabilities. Paul's constantly pushing EV range, and he drives a lot. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
This is true. 🙂 Currently have 23k miles, Aug. 13 will be one year and I should have 24k by then. Come to think though I have some long trips possibly coming up shortly, I never know for sure. With the FEHP using a ScanGaugeII to monitor the SOC the highest I have seen is 92.8% and this varies to as low as 90.8% for 100% charge according to the car's Display, don't know why the difference. I haven't seen a difference in the range yet from new. In Hybrid Mode the HVB SOC gets down to about 14% SOC so 21% of the HVB isn't used. I'm not sure what it is for the FEH, but if it is anything like the CMAX it only uses maybe 35% SOC of the HVB. With 273k mi. on my CMAX I did see some lose in HVB storage capacity, but it didn't hurt MPG's, it just filled up faster in regen.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, im a new owner of 2021 escape hpev. Not sure if that's an issue but i charged my car at 110/120v charging today but the charging stopped at 99% (i didnt set up any charging target, so it's supposed to be 100%), and it wouldnt charge anymore, in the APP, it shows "Plugged in not charging" msg. I've tried to unplug and replug in, started the car and shut it down then re-plugged, still not charging to 100. The charging ring (the blue light) became blue when i plugged in, then after seconds it turned off. On the car it shows 99% too. The power outlet and charging cord are both fine

is it some kinda battery protection thingy?

And other silly questions..
1. Does the Grade Assist reduce or affect the mileages?
2. Is it possible to turn off that "Hill Assist"(The feature that automatically slows down the car when on downhill)?
3. Should i charge the battery to 100% every time?

Thank you!
I think the Grade Assist is a remnant from the Escape non-hybrid/non-PHEV model given hybrids going downhill with the brake lightly feathered shouldn't wear the pads down and will instead regenerate battery charge. I live on a hill and Grade Assist caused my engine to kick on every morning despite being in EV Now mode. Turning it off made the car's EV/mileage performance much better for local driving where I don't need or want to use gas. I was very frustrated with the car before turning Grade Assist off. You have to hunt through the screen menus to find the Grade Assist setting.
Some rechargeable batteries don't last as long after continually being charged to 100% and remaining plugged in. Apple changed iPhone charging so that they very quickly get to 80% but then can take hours to get to 100% because of this issue.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I went to Minneapolis and back last week, about 2,331 miles and learned some new things.

1. I drove from home 5 miles up hill to I-85/I-285/I-75, 47 miles in EV Now before I ran out of charge.

2. Some Tesla owners think they own the the chargers and leave their cars there over night at charging stations. I had a strange situation with a Holiday Inn Express and they had a single level 2 charger which a Tesla was using when I got there at 10PM. It turns out the charging light was flashing and I assumed it was charging. I talked the front desk person and didn't know who it belonged too and he suggested I disconnect it and plug it into my car. I decided to wait and get up around 4am and if the Tesla was still there to disconnect it and plug it into my car so it would be charged up when I was ready to leave. The green charge light was still flashing, but when I plugged in my FEHP the light stopped flashing so the Tesla was charged up when I got there at 10pm. When I left at 7:40am the green light was flashing so I was fully charged and the Tesla was still there with the charge door still open. It turns out that the City had installed the charger on the Hotels property and the Hotel info said it was for guest and it didn't appear the Tesla was a guest's car.

3. I ran out of gas on the FWY about a half mile from gas station, but I had 16 miles of EV range, I was in EV Later. It switched to Normal, but I got the red message to stop and yet it was running in EV. I hit OK and tried to switch to EV Now but nothing would change so I just drove it to the gas station and filled up. When I started it up everything was working fine and it was in Normal Mode so I switched back to EV Later. I have run out of gas once before on purpose with no problems.

4. I averaged 55 mpg going 2331.3 mi./42.34 gal = 55.06 mpg

Paul

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I cross rotated my tires but didn't have the time to clean reinstall my wheel covers and on my 7 mile trip home from work I used 7 mi. of range, normally only use 5 mile. The next day I installed wheel covers and mileage went back up. :)

Just a reminder on what are the most important Modes of operations to get the most range/lowest cost.

1. Coasting in Neutral is close to 100% efficient as opposed to regen with around 80%.

2. Free Charging at Level 2/ Level1.

3. Charging at home or work where you are paying for the electricity.

4. Regen

5. Paying $1/H at Level 2 charging station.

6. buying gas.

7. Paying$1.50 or more at charging station.

8. The worst idea is using the ICE to charge the HVB.

There maybe other possibilities and if you have any other ideas I will add to my list.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone use the "L" button when coasting to a stop or needing to slow down? I notice when I use the center "L" button during these times the regen indicator shows a higher / deeper recharge rate. Wondering if there is any correlation to this method. You can almost one-foot drive without having to use the brake until the very end.

Another example is if I'm going down-hill and the car is speeding up, I'll often switch in and out of "L" to maintain the speed I want, then leave it in "D" whenever I need to accelerate.

There have been a few times that I've actually seen the estimated miles of EV increase while doing this.

Even thought the brakes regen it feels like I get a more prolonged regen vs using the the brakes (at least according to the dash indicator).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Possibly. The whole idea behind L gear is to set a lower gear so the engine is running at a higher rpm. Either to give more engine braking going down hill, or higher power/torque going up hill.

With the ecvt, only the gas engine is behind that "gear ratio" though. The main electric motor is connected to the wheels at a set ratio.

It's possible when in L gear, the regen is set more aggressive in when it will pull power. Like even when coasting. Or full regen at 25% brake press rather than 50% press in D. Manual doesn't say anything about it though.

What it does say, is it will spin the engine (with no gas) to provide more engine braking to reduce the need to brake with the traditional pads. That could be making it easier to brake and stay in regen since it's engine+regen braking in L vs just regen in D.

Hopefully they actually build and deliver one to me this year so I can actually check out its behavior in person.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Golluk! It would be interesting to see if there is any merit to this method or not for sure.

One other thing with @ptjones post number 8 (The worst idea is using the ICE to charge the HVB.) - can someone help provide a further explanation?

For example, if I'm driving down the highway at 70-75MPH and EV Battery is at 0 miles why would this become inefficient?

I can understand when at lower speeds or off the highway where the ICE still turns on/off even at 0 miles and regen is a possibility - but the ICE won't shut down at that speed regardless when the battery is delegated - so why would it be inefficient to charge in this scenario?

I've tried this a few times and have not seen a not seen a noticeable drop in MPG. It also seems to charge at the 240v rate from what I can tell so it doesn't take too long to regain a charge over a long trip.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
200 Posts
1. Coasting in Neutral is close to 100% efficient as opposed to regen with around 80%.
help me understand this. We are talking about coasting and not stopping right? If we are talking about breaking, what is the difference? As long as we break and stay within regen, what's the difference?

I guess with the terrain around here it's hard to understand why someone would need to do this. There is a decent size hill at the gym, I useally attempt to coast down it to recharge. Are you saying to put it in N? Is the HVB still going to charge? And it's safe for the car??

221 - 230 of 230 Posts