2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My PHEV is on a train to the west coast. The arrival estimate is 9/11 to 9/17 but hoping for sooner. My 2013 FE TI with 64K is ready for a new home.

I have been in the dealer lot 2 times in the last week and they have maybe 16 new cars in total in the display area. 3 Bronco's, 1 Mach-E (49K), 5 Escape's, 2 Mustangs, some Edge's some fusion but essentially they are out stock. There are no 2021 trucks on the lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paul,
I have an Escape Titanium PHEV that has been "in production" in Louisville since 8/31 (MSRP available 8/24), and dealer Visibility still does not have any updates, like "in body shop," "in trim," etc. They say sometimes they get nothing updated until it ships. Hoping for completion and arrival by end of September. Dealer has given me a trade-in value for my 2019 Lincoln MKC Reserve with 10K miles of $30K, good until end of month. Appreciate your posts providing your mileage experiences! I previously had a 2013 C-Max Hybrid, and really liked it. Tom

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
A New high for range with a full charge, 57 miles and after going to work 7 miles it has dropped to 38 mi. Currently have 2202 miles on the odometer. Still getting 47 to 49 miles per charge. I should clarify that by saying I'm not running it empty, usually 5 to 15 miles left and charge at night at home. I went out to lunch and now up to 17.6 mi. with 29 mi. range left which works out to 46.6 miles total range and this number will go up when going home.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
My PHEV order status now shows "Built 9/8, awaiting shipment." Probably railcar to Texas, but the Monroney Sticker shows "Convoy."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My PHEV order status now shows "Built 9/8, awaiting shipment." Probably railcar to Texas, but the Monroney Sticker shows "Convoy."
Maybe you have it by the end of next week.

My PHEV is on a train to the west coast. The arrival estimate is 9/11 to 9/17 but hoping for sooner. My 2013 FE TI with 64K is ready for a new home.

I have been in the dealer lot 2 times in the last week and they have maybe 16 new cars in total in the display area. 3 Bronco's, 1 Mach-E (49K), 5 Escape's, 2 Mustangs, some Edge's some fusion but essentially they are out stock. There are no 2021 trucks on the lot.
Maybe you have it by the end of next week.

Ran the HVB to empty last night and had to use the ICE for 1 mile of ICE use. I used a charging station for 44 min. for free for about 7.5 mile increase in range for a total of 57.5 mi. EV

Paul

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
On page 209 in the OM it says: "Why does my vehicle have hum or fan noise when charging?" "A hum or a fan noise could be present when charging the high voltage battery. This is normal operation as your vehicle is keeping the battery cool while charging." This is a good thing to help the HVB last longer. I usually wait a hour or two before charging when at home.

Paul

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I charged up last night and this morning the range was 59 mi. a new record :). Drove the 7 miles to work and range was 44 miles and when I turned on the car again it had dropped to 39 miles. :( The climb to work is bad for the range. LOL When I go home range only drops 4 miles for the 7 miles trip. Something to look for when you drive your FEHP when you get it.

Paul

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ran my HVB empty today for 48.5 mi. range, interesting that the car went over a mile on empty before the ICE came on. So it looks like I'm averaging 48 miles on a full charge for a 1k miles now.
I believe that anyone who drove a CMAX/Fusion Hybrid should get 44 mi. /charge non HWY driving with 44 psi in they're tires. Just checked SOC after a hour of charging, it has 7 miles. When I started charging it would take 11.4 hours to fully charge the HVB. dividing 11.4 into 48.5 =4.25 mile/hour so the HVB can be charged quicker at the beginning of charge and slow down at the end.

I don't have enough HWY driving in HVB Mode only to come up with a range yet.

This morning when I left for work the charger was still charging the HVB, but the ScanGaugeII had 93% SOC and the range was 52 mi. It is usually 56 to 59 mi. and SOC is 91%, strange. When I got to work the range had dropped to 42 mi. after the 7 mi. drive. That was better than normal.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ran my HVB empty today for 48.5 mi. range...
but the ScanGaugeII had 93% SOC and the [projected] range was 52 mi.
Hi Paul,

I'm curious about why you include the projected values. Are you just noting that projected range and actual range will differ (say by 3.5 miles in this example) or are you suggesting that you think you could get 52 mi/full charge under other circumstances? I'm just wondering if I'm missing an implication of the projected range values.

Thanks,
WSG

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Paul,

I'm curious about why you include the projected values. Are you just noting that projected range and actual range will differ (say by 3.5 miles in this example) or are you suggesting that you think you could get 52 mi/full charge under other circumstances? I'm just wondering if I'm missing an implication of the projected range values.

Main reason is to show the difference between projected and actual range can very a lot, From 5 to 10 mi. I think on flat terrain if might be more consistent. The best so far that I have gotten is 49.5 mi actual and the least projected has been 52 mi. with a high of 59 mi. Obviously the numbers are for me and others might be less. I'm hoping soon to put Grill Cover and wheel covers on, I hope to gain 2-3 miles on range and mpg with ICE.

Paul

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
145 Posts
Paul, what is usually your max speed and what is your life mpg and miles?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Paul, what is usually your max speed and what is your life mpg and miles?
I have done very little EV driving on the FWY, I have gone about 1500 miles in Hybrid Mode where I have gone to 85 mph. My Life Time stats/ trip 2 are 80.7 mpg combined, total miles 2539 and total electric miles 1632. My Hybrid Mode is 45.7 mpg on Fuelly and under dry road conditions I'm getting 49.7 mpg.

I'm thinking maybe the range computer is learning to be more accurate, this morning with a full charge I had a range of 50 mi., another low , I only lost 10 miles in range going 7 miles to work. I usually loose more like 15 miles.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi PTJones,
I think I used to read a lot of posts from you years ago when I got my 2013 C-Max. We got our Titanium Escape PHEV two weeks ago after ordering it in late April. Very comfortable, handles well. Turns better than the C-Max with significantly more size. My one complaint is the car takes itself out of EV mode when we first start driving it each day apparently to warm the ICE. I understand the need for the ICE to warm up once it's engaged; however, the major purpose of getting at PHEV is to use it in electric mode for local driving. Consumers, who know they are going to drive limited local miles only, should be able to drive the car without the ICE kicking in. I wouldn't be complaining if we were trying to accelerate quickly and needed extra HP, but we're simply going 20mph, with no A/C or heat on, as we drive down our street when the car kicks the gas engine on. So, I consider the ICE starting in this situation to be either a design flaw or a coding flaw. For reference purposes, we also own a PHEV Prius Prime whose EV mode is honored until the batteries are depleted unless it's very cold and the car heater is required the gas engine to kick in. (We got the Prius Prime a couple months before COVID shut things down. Since we didn't do any long trips for the first 6 months we had the Prime, we got 400+ MPG for 2,000+ miles and actually had to take a trip to burn off the stale gas in the tank.)

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts on what I think is an unnecessary ICE warm up.

Regards,

J

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paul, a recent new owner of 2 week ago in another thread on this Forum states that the "EV Only" mode does not apply itself (meaning, not staying in that mode...so the engine runs) when first starting the vehicle, especially noting that no heat or A/C or fast acceleration is applying. Is this your experience? My understanding and according to the Owner's Manual the EV Only mode should stay on in those conditions.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You can manually put it in EV every time you start it or leave it in Normal, the only time it starts for me is when I step on the accelerator to much. I noticed when you startup in EV mode a message comes up saying hit OK to enable engine operation. Don't hit OK and I didn't have ICE start. Will have to play with this to make sure how this works for sure.
I think Normal is the easiest way to go, the ICE comes on only when I mash the gas pedal.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have the car set to start in EV. After 200 yards or so the message to "enable engine operation" pops up. Even though we don't hit "OK", the engine turns on anyway. Since this is principally my wife's car, I've only driven it in the mornings when it's been relatively cooler here outside of Philadelphia.. I wonder if this issue is less likely to occur in a warmer outside temperature. It looks like we all have some more playing to do.

Thanks for the reply.

J

·
Registered
4 Posts
TxTom,
According to the user's manual, I think EV Mode/EV Now may conflict with Low Engine Use Mode:
"What Is Low Engine Use Mode
Low engine use mode maintains proper engine lubrication at sufficient temperature and activates when you drive your vehicle with limited engine operation.
How Does Low Engine Use Mode Work
When in low engine use mode, your vehicle runs the engine as necessary. When low engine use mode begins, a message appears in the information display. If low engine use mode does not complete before you switch your vehicle off, it continues the next time you start your vehicle and the message reappears.
Note:EV now mode is not available when in low engine use mode.
Note:Cold temperatures affect the engine warm up time and the low engine use mode may operate more frequently."

·
Registered
22 Posts
To Paul and J...I'll see how this EV Mode/EV Now works here in warm/hot DFW area in a couple of days...my Titanium PHEV Escape is on a rail car as I speak, about 200 miles or less east of here. Hope to have delivery my mid-week, 9/22. Tom

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I don't think this has anything to do with temps, I think it is a programing thing. I had a similar problem with EV Later/Hybrid mode would get reset to Normal every time I restarted the car, it would take a minute or two to realize it had happened on my trip and reset it to EV Later.

I haven't seen this message yet, I know if you cycle through the modes and get to Engine Charge Mode the ICE instantly starts and then I went to Normal Mode, ICE kept running so I turned off car. Then turned on the car in Normal Mode and ICE didn't come on.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have the car set to start in EV. After 200 yards or so the message to "enable engine operation" pops up. Even though we don't hit "OK", the engine turns on anyway.
Here’s something I noticed: I was once using Ev now and got the “engine enabled” message. Despite my best efforts, I couldn’t get this to go away. But at the end of my journey, about 10 miles, the read out still said 100% electric miles.

I’m never quite sure if there motor is kicking in. The best diagnostic I’ve found is the Ev coach. Are there other ways to know which source of running? It may be that Ev now just gives confusing messages.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts