2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Here’s something I noticed: I was once using Ev now and got the “engine enabled” message. Despite my best efforts, I couldn’t get this to go away. But at the end of my journey, about 10 miles, the read out still said 100% electric miles.

I’m never quite sure if there motor is kicking in. The best diagnostic I’ve found is the Ev coach. Are there other ways to know which source of running? It may be that Ev now just gives confusing messages.
The ICE symbol lights up when the ICE is running and I keep the display on trip 1 so I can see how many miles I have gone vs the range left. Also it shows how many Electric miles and Total miles so subtracting Electric miles from Total miles = ICE miles.
Try not engine enabling, I thought it went away after awhile, I will need to try that out again.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It is interesting that the range varies so much with a full charge, 50-59 miles, but it seems to have settled to around 54 miles and this morning I only lost 10 mi. on my 7 mi. trip to work. I checked on the the car a half an hour later and the range had dropped from 44 to 39 mi. which is the range I see when leaving from work most of the time. I'm not sure what causes this change, I need to monitor the HVB temps better for a possible reason. The trip to work only takes 13 min. not much time to have the temp go up.

It will be interesting to see what other FEHP owners are seeing with a full charge range and actual range with HVB depleted.

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you tried playing with the fordpass remote start system?

On my C-Max, I set temp to 85F for heat and tell the car to be ready an hour before I actually leave so that it can warm up the battery and then hopefully charge it fully after that....side note, I only have 110v charging at this time

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
OK to start with to do any accurate testing you need to limit as many variables as possible so I don't use heat or AC and pretty much the only significant variable is speed, temps haven't changed much. I could keep track of how long it takes to get to work, but the range is 38-39 miles when I leave work to go on my next trip no matter what the range was when I leave in the morning to go to work. I also only use 120v charging at home and at work. I have used free 240v charging at Target and FORD, generally it isn't cost effective to charge at pay for Charging Stations.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yesterday I started out with a full charge and ended up with 49.4 miles all electric EV when I got home. I went about 2 miles on 0 range with a good part down hill, was surprised that the ICE didn't start. I parked in front of the garage to get my bike out and wash it off. Then I drove it into the garage and the ICE started, if I had driven strait into the garage it would have started. :) The range started out at 54 miles so 49.4 mi. is pretty close to 54 mi.

Speedometer Vehicle Measuring instrument Automotive lighting Display device

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Looking at installing my Grill Cover and I noticed the difference between 2020 and 2021 grills. 2020 grill is the bottom one. Also this morning I went from 54 mi. to 35 mi. after only going 8.3 miles, temp in the middle 50*F so I charged up at work and the range was only 46 mi., a new low, but after driving off for lunch it jumped to 51 mi., I'll see what I get tonight when I get home.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
I'm having trouble finding info on wear the different coolers are located, I think behind bottom grill like CMAX. I'm thinking leaving the upper Grill Cover open around the outside to allow for some air flow to the radiator for now.
Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Set your escape to remote start an hour before departure and set climate settings as warm as they will go, it's called conditioning the battery, it allows the cabin to warm up and then the battery see more range, crank up the heated seats, less power used than heater core heat (at least on my C-Max energi)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Set your escape to remote start an hour before departure and set climate settings as warm as they will go, it's called conditioning the battery, it allows the cabin to warm up and then the battery see more range, crank up the heated seats, less power used than heater core heat (at least on my C-Max energi)
what does conditioning he HVB really do?

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Basically what I was told in the other forms, the battery will only have so much range cold, they say to remote start with level 2 charging so it will charge up faster after running heater, usually about 10-15 minutes on level 2, so on level 1 the charging takes longer so I give it an hour, they call it conditioning but basically warming up the battery to optimal temperature..75-80 degrees

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Installed Grill Cover and I didn't notice any obvious change in range yet, I'm thinking that temps are affecting the range with yesterday's temps were atleast 10 degrees cooler. I don't have enough experience with plugins concerning the effects of temps vs range. My garage temp was around 75*F with outside 47*F, probably 20*F cooler than a couple of days ago. I think I will install lower cover now also.

Paul
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant Car

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I installed the Grill Cover for the bottom and it blocks the sensors so I had to hole saw 1.25" holes for them to work. I hope these pics give you ideas for what can be done. It could take awhile to determine what kind of range improvement I get. I hope to install wheel shortly too. I'm using Velcro to fasten Grill Covers so they can be easily removed. Painted the backside of Grill Cover so letters look better and last longer.

Paul
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
With the temp changes I can see my range dropping by about 2 miles to around 47 mi. from 49 mi. I must have gotten good mileage last night when I got home because this morning the range was 57 miles with full charge, when I got to work 7 mi. it had dropped to 45 mi. a 12 mi. drop. About an hour later I checked and range had dropped to 40 miles. This is interesting because I usually have 39 mi. range when I go to lunch. Going home from work I usually gain 2-3 mi. of range. By the time when temps get down to freezing I should have a pretty good idea on how many miles I lose for each 10*F drop in temperature.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I ended up with 45.6 mi. EV and 2 mi. left on range for a total of 47.6 mi. last night. This morning started out with 57 mi. range and after 7 mi. it read 45 mi. Interesting that I turned it back to Acc. and the range had dropped to 40 mi. it only does this the first time I stop after full charge.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been driving a 2020 escape PHEV since June . Just under 7,000 miles . My mpg is 163 with 4100 electric miles. The tech works in town snd in the road

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I have been driving a 2020 escape PHEV since June . Just under 7,000 miles . My mpg is 163 with 4100 electric miles. The tech works in town snd in the road
How many miles do you get on a full charge? My range is between 47- 50 mi. for a full charge. With 2899.3 miles total and 1994.8 EV miles my average is 91.9 mpg.

Paul

41 - 60 of 78 Posts