2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Had an odd thing happen this morning when I went to get in my car the charger was still still charging, but ScangaugeII showed a full charge at 91.3% and the range was only 50 miles. I got to work and checked the range after it had set there for awhile was 37 mi. See what the range was when I get close to empty.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Last night with the rain my range looked like it was only going to end up with 43 mi. This morning with a full charge, 90.8% on ScanGaugeII, but with a range of 54 mi. , noticeably different than the previous morning. When I got to work it had dropped to 42 mi. and then when I went to lunch it was 38 mi. and add 7.1 mi.(distance to work) = 45 mi. when I got back from lunch It was up to 48 mi. total range. I should gain 2 mi. going home which would bring me up to 50 mi., better weather conditions today.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
With 18 mi. range last night I decided to not charge the HVB and see how far I could go. I drove to work and ended up with 8 mi. left ,when I went to lunch and ended up at the Target Charging Station with 3 mi. left and doing the math I got 48.3 mi. from the last full charge. In 54 min. I gained 16 mi. in range from ChargePoint the free for two hours charger at Target Store parking lot. Shortly I will be installing my wheel covers and wheel well covers.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Here are some pics of wheel covers that I'm installing. Backside of wheel with aluminum plug copper silicon rubber applied ready to install. Rim Gas Engineering Circle Machine showing backside of wheel cover with 1/4-20x 2" screw, 1" plastic spacer and finder washer. Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel cover installed. Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire 1/4" plastic screw out toward edge to keep wheel cover from spinning when hitting the brakes.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
First day of using all mods starting from home and ending up their showed 25.8 mi. used with 26 mi. left so it looks like I have gained 2 mi. of range. Today I should be doing 44-47 miles on full charge which should give me a good idea how much I have gain on range.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Looks like I will be going on long trip next week and I will get chance to monitor WT and if it gets to 225*F and use EV to cool down the ICE.
I used up the HVB today with Mods on and got 50.7 miles which is a mile more than my best of 49.7 miles with them off. I need to make and install wheel well covers next to see how much that helps.

Paul

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thursday I ran out of charge at 48 miles and went into Normal Hybrid Mode with Grill Covers on for 10 miles and never got above 194 *F so I taped up the bottom half of center Grill Cover. There was a lot of a gap around it. I will see how that works.

Paul

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium
5 Posts
I've had my Escape PHEV for a week now and was very pleasantly surprised to make a 52 mi trip (mostly moderate speeds and no wind) on electric.

Is it recommended to force it to EV Now mode, or does the Escape need to run the engine now and then for maintenance reasons?

And is there any setting to default it to just start up in Eco mode instead of Normal mode?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my Escape PHEV for a week now and was very pleasantly surprised to make a 52 mi trip (mostly moderate speeds and no wind) on electric.

Is it recommended to force it to EV Now mode, or does the Escape need to run the engine now and then for maintenance reasons?

And is there any setting to default it to just start up in Eco mode instead of Normal mode?
My Escape PHEV automatically starts in EV Only mode each time, based on that being the mode when I last shut it off. This is per the Owner's Manual as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As mentioned, and per the Owner's Manual, the EV Only mode in my 2021 always starts that in that mode...but it does operate the ICE periodically to increase the temp should you need the power so not operating a "cold" engine, I think. It will not run 100% electric. So far ICE operation is about 5% of its total operation in first 450 miles. Maybe that is about 1.5 gallon of gas. The gas gauge is still reading about 85% since the dealer filled it with gas at delivery.

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium
5 Posts
Thanks for the info on Eco mode and EV Only. We are enjoying learning more about our Escape. I'm putting CrossClimate2 tires on it this afternoon and look forward to testing it in the mountains soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well the last three days I put 2500 miles on FEHP going to Philadelphia. PA and Rochester, NY and back getting my ICE average to 48.5 mpg. and my LifeTime average to 75.3 mpg which is Trip 2 average, a combination of ICE and EV average. My first tank with 75*F and tailwind was 64.1 mpg/225 mi. with using EV later. I ran pass 0E twice, I had 32 miles of EV range left so I wasn't to worried. I went 40 miles passed E0 and didn't run out with 568.4 miles on tank, but only took 11 gal. of gas. My guess is that there should be another half gallon more in the tank atleast or 600 miles on a tank with 32 miles of EV range in reserve should be pretty easy to do.

Remember that car won't stay in EV Later when you turn off the car and then turn it back on, it goes to Normal so push the button twice to get to EV Later.
Also if you charge your HVB to a hundred % and then put the car into EV Later the car will act like it's in EV and run the HVB down to 75% before it will EV Later. It's not good for the HVB to continuously be charged hot at 100% SOC.

Also I had fun talking to fbov for lunch about our Hybrids while in Rochester. :)

Paul

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
10 Posts
Well the last three days I put 2500 miles on FEHP going to Philadelphia. PA and Rochester, NY and back getting my ICE average to 48.5 mpg. and my LifeTime average to 75.3 mpg which is Trip 2 average, a combination of ICE and EV average. My first tank with 75*F and tailwind was 64.1 mpg/225 mi. with using EV later. I ran pass 0E twice, I had 32 miles of EV range left so I wasn't to worried. I went 40 miles passed E0 and didn't run out with 568.4 miles on tank, but only took 11 gal. of gas. My guess is that there should be another half gallon more in the tank atleast or 600 miles on a tank with 32 miles of EV range in reserve should be pretty easy to do.

Remember that car won't stay in EV Later when you turn off the car and then turn it back on, it goes to Normal so push the button twice to get to EV Later.
Also if you charge your HVB to a hundred % and then put the car into EV Later the car will act like it's in EV and run the HVB down to 75% before it will EV Later. It's not good for the HVB to continuously be charged hot at 100% SOC.

Also I had fun talking to fbov for lunch about our Hybrids while in Rochester. :)

Paul
If i understand correctly, when doing roadtrips it's preferable to use the EV Later mode ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Yesterday morning I charged up to 100% and it showed a range of 43 mi., weird hadn't seen anything lower than 50 mi. before. Last night when I got home I had gone 45.5 mi. with 6 mi. range left for a total of 51.5 mi. and new record. This morning with a full charge the range was 58 mi. and after 7 miles to work the range was 47 mi. An half hour later I checked and it had dropped to 41 mi. Getting back from lunch I had a total of 20.7 mi. and 28 mi. of range left which gives me 48.7 mi. total range. I should gain 2 mi. of range by the time I make it home which would give me a total of 50.7 mi.

If i understand correctly, when doing road trips it's preferable to use the EV Later mode ?
Yes, on a trip longer than say 75 miles it is better to use EV Later, you could use EV like maybe at the end of a trip if you can recharge up to 75% SOC. The idea is to keep your ICE hot when you are going to be using it. EV Later will use EV until the HVB SOC is down to 75% so no point to charge pass that. Also if you are going on a trip you can use the block heater if you have one to speed up the ICE heating up.

I looked at making rear wheel well covers and turning out to be a problem in that the wheel sticks out more in the rear than the front requiring a 3D cover, don't have time for that now.

Paul

61 - 78 of 78 Posts