2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed info' here. We've had our Escape PHEV (an SE in antimatter blue) since the start of September. Drove it 600 miles home from the dealer and averaged 43mpg highway (75-80 mph all the way). Average battery range has been in the high 30s, right in line with the EPA rating, and we're mostly using it for short trips (2-5 miles) around town. Currently only on 2nd tank of gas and have 1100miles total. A few observations:

- On very short trips (<2mi round trip to the 7-11) it loses a lot of range. I will sometimes start at 37 mi, go 1 mile to the store, 1 mile back, and when I get home it says 29 miles remaining! But then it will charge from that state to full in less than an hour on a 110v charger. It seems there is a real disconnect between actual battery state of charge, and estimated range.

- Largely as a result of short trips, the estimated range at full charge has been creeping downwards over the past month, and is sometimes as low as 34 mi. Resetting the hybrid mode info (steering wheel menus) brings it back up, but then a few days later it's back down again. It really seems as if the range is being estimated based heavily on driving style, and short trips really kill the numbers.

- We've run it down to zero a few times on weekend trips, and I've been able to get back over 2 miles of "free" charge coasting down big hills with regen. The regen braking on this car is really quite impressive!

- My biggest gripe is the ICE kicking in more than wanted (the dreaded brown "engine enabled due to normal operation" message). I run it in EV now mode all the time, and my guess is with short trips the engine does not get a chance to complete its warm-up/lube cycle before the trip is over, so it does it again the next trip. Rinse and repeat. Based on your comments (ptjones) I'm wondering if there's some merit to just running it in normal mode instead?

- Solution to the above gripe would be for Ford to offer a way to edit the frequency with which the ICE kicks in, so for those using the car primarily for short trips (e.g., a 2 mile daily commute each way) the ICE would not bother trying to do its thing during the week, and would only kick in when we use it for longer trips on weekends. Maybe a way to program in how long the trip is projected to be, so the ICE would know not to cycle. The annoying thing is, even if we do a long trip on a Sunday, it goes right back to starting the ICE during an EV only commute on Monday. This really defeats the whole object of having an EV, so as to not use any gas during normal daily commuting. Any suggestions?

What temperatures are the inside of your vehicle when you start out that will matter if the battery temperature is not around 77 to 80 degrees your range will be less, if you know you have to make that trip remote start the vehicle an hour before you go and it will warm the vehicle up if you have the settings set the high on the climate control

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed info' here. We've had our Escape PHEV (an SE in antimatter blue) since the start of September. Drove it 600 miles home from the dealer and averaged 43mpg highway (75-80 mph all the way). Average battery range has been in the high 30s, right in line with the EPA rating, and we're mostly using it for short trips (2-5 miles) around town. Currently only on 2nd tank of gas and have 1100miles total. A few observations:

- On very short trips (<2mi round trip to the 7-11) it loses a lot of range. I will sometimes start at 37 mi, go 1 mile to the store, 1 mile back, and when I get home it says 29 miles remaining! But then it will charge from that state to full in less than an hour on a 110v charger. It seems there is a real disconnect between actual battery state of charge, and estimated range.

- Largely as a result of short trips, the estimated range at full charge has been creeping downwards over the past month, and is sometimes as low as 34 mi. Resetting the hybrid mode info (steering wheel menus) brings it back up, but then a few days later it's back down again. It really seems as if the range is being estimated based heavily on driving style, and short trips really kill the numbers.

- We've run it down to zero a few times on weekend trips, and I've been able to get back over 2 miles of "free" charge coasting down big hills with regen. The regen braking on this car is really quite impressive!

- My biggest gripe is the ICE kicking in more than wanted (the dreaded brown "engine enabled due to normal operation" message). I run it in EV now mode all the time, and my guess is with short trips the engine does not get a chance to complete its warm-up/lube cycle before the trip is over, so it does it again the next trip. Rinse and repeat. Based on your comments (ptjones) I'm wondering if there's some merit to just running it in normal mode instead?

- Solution to the above gripe would be for Ford to offer a way to edit the frequency with which the ICE kicks in, so for those using the car primarily for short trips (e.g., a 2 mile daily commute each way) the ICE would not bother trying to do its thing during the week, and would only kick in when we use it for longer trips on weekends. Maybe a way to program in how long the trip is projected to be, so the ICE would know not to cycle. The annoying thing is, even if we do a long trip on a Sunday, it goes right back to starting the ICE during an EV only commute on Monday. This really defeats the whole object of having an EV, so as to not use any gas during normal daily commuting. Any suggestions?
Same thing with mine. Short trips with a lot of stops and red lights are deadly. I can go from 60km to 52km in less than 3km :)
I guess it's because of the weight.

on the freeway (approx 100-102km/h), i managed to do 6.6L/100km with some uphills, winter tires and heater was on. not too shabby.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Based on another comment on this Forum, I have defeated the "Hill Assist" feature (now no slopping car symbol on the screen) and this has stopped the ICE from operating as often as it had been operating. Past couple of days, not at all. I live on a hill and that seemed to have triggered the ICE with the Hill Assist enabled, going down the hill when leaving the house each time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Well I saw today how the heater can kill your range, My wife turned on her heated seat and some how the heater came on too. I didn't realize what was happening until my ranged had dropped 10 miles in 15 min., My iPhone was covering up the heater display. Ouch!:(

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I just got back from a trip from Newnan, GA to Mooresville, NC and back averaging 54 MPG without refilling on I-85/I-77. I got 669 miles on that tank and 31 miles EV after running out of gas for a total of 700 miles.
I started with a full charge and EV Later which means I ran in EV Mode until SOC was down to 75% about 7 miles to where I got onto I-85, it's uphill. The trip up was about 310 miles taking I-77 north from Charlette to Mooresville. I came back couple of days later with a full charge and this time I got around 10 miles in EV till SOC was down to 75%. The GPS had me go State Rts to I-85 in stead of I-77. At 582 miles my gas range went to E0, I still had 37 mile range for EV range so I wasn't worried about it and wanted to know how many miles I could go pass empty. The next day I finally ran out of gas at 669 miles which was a non event, it just switched to Normal EV. I had 33 miles left in EV and lost a couple of miles so final total miles was 700. I filled up at Sam's and the pump clicked off at 11.4 gal. Three more clicks I got it up to 12.4 gal., I could have stuffed a little more in but wasn't that motivated. I went 87 miles passed E0 and averaged 54 mpg using Premium which is $3.26 vs $3.06 for regular.
So I learned a lot from this trip and hope there is some useful info here.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only have Level 1. I mean visually out of the window I can't tell how fast I'm going yet, car has very good acceleration, 0-30 mph if you mash the accelerator the ICE will come on with the electric motors.

This morning with 100% charge it showed a range of 46 miles and it went up to 47 miles when going some down hill and ended up with 39 mi. range to go when I got to work. When I turned car back on it dropped to 35 miles range. I went to lunch and back, 8 miles + the 7 miles to work = 15 mi. and add that to the 32 mi. range left it looks like I can get 47 mi. on this charge. This is with speeds of 35 to 55 mph. I think EPA range per charge is 37 mi. so that works out to 10 miles farther without any Mods or Hypermiling. I'm using coasting in Neutral going downhill though, I can't help myself.:) If I used the same plan tomorrow I would end the day with 42 miles and 5 mi. left on the range. Maybe by the end of next week I will have my Mods ready. One of the easy things to do is raise tire pressure from 34 to Max pressure of 44 psi. I have my Gas Pods from CMAX they're magnetic, easy to install. I'm thinking I will be able to improve range by atleast 3 miles, maybe 5 mi.
Range1.jpg

Paul
The tide with tires at 44psi must be pretty bad

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
24 Posts
I just got back from a trip from Newnan, GA to Mooresville, NC and back averaging 54 MPG without refilling on I-85/I-77. I got 669 miles on that tank and 31 miles EV after running out of gas for a total of 700 miles.
I started with a full charge and EV Later which means I ran in EV Mode until SOC was down to 75% about 7 miles to where I got onto I-85, it's uphill. The trip up was about 310 miles taking I-77 north from Charlette to Mooresville. I came back couple of days later with a full charge and this time I got around 10 miles in EV till SOC was down to 75%. The GPS had me go State Rts to I-85 in stead of I-77. At 582 miles my gas range went to E0, I still had 37 mile range for EV range so I wasn't worried about it and wanted to know how many miles I could go pass empty. The next day I finally ran out of gas at 669 miles which was a non event, it just switched to Normal EV. I had 33 miles left in EV and lost a couple of miles so final total miles was 700. I filled up at Sam's and the pump clicked off at 11.4 gal. Three more clicks I got it up to 12.4 gal., I could have stuffed a little more in but wasn't that motivated. I went 87 miles passed E0 and averaged 54 mpg using Premium which is $3.26 vs $3.06 for regular.
So I learned a lot from this trip and hope there is some useful info here.

Paul
582miles on a full tank without EV ?
If so that's excellent on a 42L tank (11 gal)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I actually went 669 miles on a full tank. I'm guessing that I had probably had about 12 gal. in the tank(11.2 gal in OM), when I refilled up it took 12.4 gal. by filling to the top, I could have gotten a tenth or two more if I want to spend the time. You could subtract 17 miles for EV from two full charges to get the SOC down to 75%. But I think I could gain another 30+ miles by filling the tank up all the way. This was mostly FWY driving Too. It is nice to have a 35 mile EV reserve if you need too.

Today I can see my EV range has dropped 2 miles with the temps at 47*F at noon time. It looks like a drop of 1 mile range for each 10*F drop in temps is about right.

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Last night I got home with 0 range and 42.4 miles EV, normally I get 47-49 miles. So I'm updating my statement on range lost per 10*F to 2 miles lost for each 10*F drop in OT. This morning with a full charge I had a range of 51 miles, down from 57 mi. that I would normally have and it dropped down to 50 mi. almost immediately. OT was 40*F and I ended up with a range of 37 mi. after the 7 mi. trip.
Another interesting fact when I was almost to work I had to speed up to make it through a yellow light, to slow down I push the L button and the ICE started with the "performance" statement. I turned the L off but ICE kept run and will keep running until the WT reaches 128*F or you turn off the car. Fortunately I only had .3 miles to go and I turned the car off. It will be interesting to see what range I end up with the low temps.

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Last night when I got home I had gone 39.4 mi. and had 4 mi. range left making the total EV range of 43 miles with OT temps in the 40-55*F range. This morning I started out 41 mi. for range which is way down from the usual 54-57 mi. EV range. I was 37*F when I went to work, It will interesting what I end up with.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
My job is food delivery. I always choose a hybrid car. Every day back and forth in crowded shopping malls, city roads. I used to own Toyota Corolla Hybrid, Hyundai Ioniq, Honda Insight. Including my mother's hybrid CRV (occasionally I also drive a CRV to transport). So I have a total of five hybrid cars driving experience. There is no perfect car. After comparison, the Ford Escape Hybrid is the best. I am very happy, I chose the Ford Escape Hybrid.
How to get a higher MPG experience. Always use Cruise. This is my secret to high MPG
Car Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Gauge

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,837 Posts
My job is food delivery. I always choose a hybrid car. Every day back and forth in crowded shopping malls, city roads. I used to own Toyota Corolla Hybrid, Hyundai Ioniq, Honda Insight. Including my mother's hybrid CRV (occasionally I also drive a CRV to transport). So I have a total of five hybrid cars driving experience. There is no perfect car. After comparison, the Ford Escape Hybrid is the best. I am very happy, I chose the Ford Escape Hybrid.
How to get a higher MPG experience. Always use Cruise. This is my secret to high MPG View attachment 80407
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's taken me a while but I am now getting in the mid to high 40's and low 50's. To get into the 50's I need to turn off the climate control. I no longer have major drops in efficiency from short trips. Watching the average mi/kwh and estimated range on next charge on the Electric Efficiency screen really helped give me the tools to get my pedal control working in the right direction.

Plant Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Font

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
You can get up to 5.2 mi./kWh and 57 mi. range.

Last night I started out with 27 mi. range for going to bike ride and then home which is 27 miles and got home with 7 mile range left. This morning the range was 47 mi. with full charge, usually get 54 mi. anyway. Who said things have to make sense?

Paul

81 - 100 of 116 Posts