2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Here is the total of all the improvements that I have done to my FEHP.

Installed Gas Pods which I had on my CMAX, don't know if they made a difference. Raised tire pressure to 44 psi., the max tire pressure on the tire, they were 32psi according to my digital pressure gauge. I would expect 1/2 mile range gain or mpg in ICE Mode. I use EV Now Mode around town and EV later on trips.

I have been noticing that if you start the ICE to increase acceleration it will stay on until it reaches 128*F like the CMAX Hybrid did. It took about .8 miles to make it happen.
Installed Top Grill Cover and ended up taping all the way around the edge to seal it off to get the WT above 215*F

I installed the Grill Cover for the bottom and it blocks the sensors so I had to hole saw 1.25" holes for them to work. I hope these pics give you ideas for what can be done. It could take awhile to determine what kind of range improvement I get. I hope to install wheel covers shortly too. I'm using Velcro to fasten bottom Grill Cover so they can be easily removed. Screwed on the top Grill Cover because it doesn't need to be removed. Painted the backside of Grill Cover so letters look better and last longer.

Paul
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

To get the OT to work properly I drilled a 3/4" hole. I used a fountain pump 3/4" adapter that I screwed into a 3/4" hole, I will see how it works. It looks like I gained 2 miles in range and mpg. If you keep your car in a garage during the Winter the Grill Covers will keep your ICE, Trans/motors warmer and the inverter also to improve your range more.

Here are some pics of wheel covers that I'm installing. Backside of wheel with aluminum plug copper silicon rubber applied ready to install. Rim Gas Engineering Circle Machine showing backside of wheel cover with 1/4-20x 2" screw, 1" plastic spacer and fender washer. Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel cover installed. Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire 1/4" plastic screw out toward edge to keep wheel cover from spinning when stopping hard with the brakes. Wheel Covers add 2 miles range and mpg.

I use Premium to improve mpg's by 1-2 mpg.

For EV Mode you should gain 4 miles and ICE mileage should improve 6 mpg.

Paul

Paul

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
It is amazing to see how much the range varies with OT, with temps in the 30's*F-40*F in the morning I was getting down to 35 mi., by the middle of the day they had worked up to 42 mi. Few days earlier with OT around mid 70's I was getting low 50's for range.
Paul

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Yesterday with my garage temp at 60*F I started out with 48 mi. range with full charge. With OT in 40's*F and using defrost some my range had drop to 35 mi. after 7 mi. trip to work. Temps at early afternoon were low 60*F when I went to lunch and then off to a ChargePoint in PTC for bike ride. I had gone 31.5 mi. and had 10 mi. left for a total range of 41.5 mi. after 1hr 20min of charging I was up to 26 mi. and ended up 58.8 mi. range total when I got home with 0 mi. left. I went about 2 miles on 0 miles without running out of charge which is good to know. I'm guessing I could have made it to 59 miles total.

Paul

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
So even with the temps in the 30's*F this morning going up to 50*F at noon and back down to 40*F going home tonight with my current EV range at 26 mi. and have traveled 15.1 mi. =41.1 mi. My trip home is down hill some so usually gain 1-2 mi. so I expect final total EV range at atleast 42 mi. for this full charge. Interesting note from a FEHP review said they got atleast 4km past 0E and I have gotten atleast 2 mi.

Paul

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape Titanium PHEV
3 Posts
I currently am a new owner of a 2022 Escape Titanium PHEV and have been following many of the forum threads. In order to get optimum range (gas or electric) I am still confused as to where/when to use the different Drive Modes. Upon startup it always defaults to AutoEV. I understand if I want an all electric operation I would have to switch the mode to EVnow. If driving was to be done on a highway where speeds are in excess of 100 km/h (60 mph) which Mode setting would be used to get the best mpg. EVlater, I understand saves the current EV charge for later operation and EVcharge charges the battery. Thanks for any explanation that can be offered as to when/where its best to use the different modes.

I should note that I currently do not have a charge ability at home since I live in a high rise building and am currently using the public level 2 charge stations every so often. The vehicle does not always go out every day as well since I am retired.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
If you are going to be going greater distance than your EV range than you want to be in EV Later Mode. If you are going to be using the ICE then it would be good to use your block heater for three hours before you go. Can you stick a long extension cord out your Apartment window to charge and use your block heater? Are there any outside outlets there? :)

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
No the plugging in is not a possibility so that's not an option. Guess, really for highway speeds and not having the ability to plug in at home my best option would be to use the EVcharge setting which obviously will deter my mpg since I am using the ICE to drive and charge the battery as well.

Thanks for the reply much appreciated. Will continue to watch this thread.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
No the plugging in is not a possibility so that's not an option. Guess, really for highway speeds and not having the ability to plug in at home my best option would be to use the EVcharge setting which obviously will deter my mpg since I am using the ICE to drive and charge the battery as well.

Thanks for the reply much appreciated. Will continue to watch this thread.
Having the ICE charge the HVB isn't a efficient way to charge the HVB, I can't think of a good reason to ever do this. Is there any place to charge for free that is near home or work with in walking distance? Level 2 charging takes 3.5 hrs from empty. You better off using Normal or EV Later. If you can have a coworker pick you up from a charging station and drop you off after work might work. Sometimes you can be creative to get the job done. :)

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, thanks for the reply with regards to having ICE charge the battery. I was thinking more when your on a long highway drive to charge the HVB but obviously it will load the engine more resulting in lower mpg's. Yes I have a free charge station within walking distance and that's what I have been doing to charge back to 100%.

Thanks again for your input and will see how things work out going forward. FYI, I am retired so no going to work for me!

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i & 2019 Kia Niro PHEV
32 Posts
Paul: Just a heads up for others who may be considering your wheel cover mod... I can't help but wonder about the Lexan wheel covers reducing brake cooling & thus reduce brake effectiveness in warm weather or long, steep downhill roads.
This may not be an issue for most drivers in day to day driving in moderate temps and for one whose primary goal is max MPG but just saying...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
You pretty much never use your brakes in a FEH/FEHP, I never replaced my brake pads on my CMAX with 273k miles. :) Still averaged over 42 mi./ charge with temps in the 30-55*F range, even with temps in low 30's my HVB and WT was in the 60*F range and trans temp 80*F with Grill Covers on. It really helps to have the car in the garage where it's 60*F now on the EV range and the Grill Covers keep the HVB and WT from changing and trans temps go up a little.

Paul

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i & 2019 Kia Niro PHEV
32 Posts
Paul : That's great. I'm aware that hybrid vehicle brakes are generally last much longer than ICE vehicles but 273K miles on the original brakes is truly amazing!
That said, I'm not sure your driving is typical but obviously you have figured out & endeavored to wring every bit of energy out of each gallon of gas. Unfortunately not everyone is as dedicated to energy conservation as your are.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Paul : That's great. I'm aware that hybrid vehicle brakes are generally last much longer than ICE vehicles but 273K miles on the original brakes is truly amazing!
That said, I'm not sure your driving is typical but obviously you have figured out & endeavored to wring every bit of energy out of each gallon of gas. Unfortunately not everyone is as dedicated to energy conservation as your are.
Getting 100% regen is pretty easy to do because the FEHP/FEH are pretty aggressive in braking so most times you don't need to get the mechanical working. For me it is like a real video game/ challenge to take the boredom out of driving. The side affect is saving money. :)

Paul

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
662 Posts
You pretty much never use your brakes in a FEH/FEHP, I never replaced my brake pads on my CMAX with 273k miles.
That depends...

On where you live. My front rotors rusted out at 60K miles. Things are different where they never use road salt.

On how you drive. My C-Max needed rear brakes at 50K miles... and again at 55K! I blame the 5K life on poor repair, but the pattern is repeating in the Escape. At 35K miles, there's twice as much pad left up front, 8mm vs 4mm in the rear, and the car has started "losing it's brakes" when transitioning from regen to friction brakes... just like C-Max did before the repair.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts