2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I have made several post on this issue here and I think it is a reflection of what kind of range you were getting when you turned off the car. It tends to be over optimist anyway. I wonder what the OT is when you start your car, I have never seen this problem with mine. Are you fully charged when this happens? What kind of range are you seeing fully charged?

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I been trying to find the location of the Inverter and HVB coolers so see if I can make a better lower Grill Cover. I found that the Trans cooler goes across the lower grill, maybe someone can find more info, FORD wasn't much help.

This morning I started out with a range of 58 miles. :)

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I ended up with a range of 45.5 miles and the next full charge I got 47 miles. OT is a big factor on range and if you start with a 60*F garage this also helps. Having the Grill Covers keeps trans, inverter and HVB at the garage temp for the 7 mile trip in the morning.

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
I been trying to find the location of the Inverter and HVB coolers so see if I can make a better lower Grill Cover. I found that the Trans cooler goes across the lower grill, maybe someone can find more info, FORD wasn't much help.

This morning I started out with a range of 58 miles. :)

Paul
Paul, I think the HVB Cooler is located near the firewall on the passenger side.

The inverter cooler is part of the inverter on the top of the transmission on the front (radiator) side.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
FORD Parts isn't much help, where did you get your info? On the CMAX the inverter and trans coolers were the same size and located in front of the radiator at the bottom. Looking at the front of the lower grill I only see one cooler. I think another cooler is on top of it. There are two reservoirs for radiator and inverter next to each other and hoses going all over the place. It would take awhile to figure out where everything is. Doesn't look like the CMAX.

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
FORD Parts isn't much help, where did you get your info? On the CMAX the inverter and trans coolers were the same size and located in front of the radiator at the bottom. Looking at the front of the lower grill I only see one cooler. I think another cooler is on top of it. There are two reservoirs for radiator and inverter next to each other and hoses going all over the place. It would take awhile to figure out where everything is. Doesn't look like the CMAX.

Paul
I sent you a private message

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I sent you a private message
Sent you one too.
I went to FL Wednesday, 1k miles with OT 85*F and I removed lower cover at rest stop. When I started car HVB temp had gone from 86*F to 91*F and it took 15 min. to get it down to 88*F. From taking the lower Grill Cover off the WT had dropped 10*F degrees, 200-210*F, the TT had dropped 2 *F. With out the lower Grill Cover on the HVB temp went up a few degrees every time I stopped. It seems that the heat from the ICE Exhaust is heating up the HVB. I don't see this happening when I'm in EV Now.

Paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I went to NC for a trip of 640.4 miles. I had a full charge to start and also on returning trip. I filled up when getting back with 10.6 gal. Premium at BJ's in Newnan, GA for a average of 60.4 mpg. I estimate I got about 90 miles total in EV Now and 550 miles in EV Later for 52 mpg. It looks like I could have gotten about 100 miles farther with the two gal. left in the tank.
Speedometer Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Gauge

Paul

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
184 Posts
With the warmer temps I was wondering what EV Range members are getting now?

Paul
Hasn’t t fully warmed up for me, getting there though. Temps Stil high 30 low 40 in the am and been topping out in 50s during the day. Max I have seen on my dash is 41 electric miles. My first tank of fuel had me at 150 mpg combined. Almost made a full month wo buying gas.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape Titanium PHEV
19 Posts
This morning the range with full charge was 61 mi. ,but by the time I got to work it was 48 mi. combined, after a 6 mile trip it was 49 mi. combined. Hitting 80*F today so I should end up in the low 50's combined range.

Paul
Nice range! When you state you went from 61 mile to 48 mile combined to get to work, what is your mileage to work and what do you mean by "combined". I find that the only way I can get my HV battery to get up to a value in excess of the 60km vehicle published rating or 36 mile (for USA) is to do a lot of coasting to let the regenerative braking increase my HV battery charge level capacity to go up. I have reached in excess of 70km HV battery charge level or 49 miles but do find it depletes very quickly initially to a more solid usage range from 60kms and lower. As you know and have stated, the temps make a large difference as well as what accessory features you use within the vehicle.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Nice range! When you state you went from 61 mile to 48 mile combined to get to work, what is your mileage to work and what do you mean by "combined". I find that the only way I can get my HV battery to get up to a value in excess of the 60km vehicle published rating or 36 mile (for USA) is to do a lot of coasting to let the regenerative braking increase my HV battery charge level capacity to go up. I have reached in excess of 70km HV battery charge level or 49 miles but do find it depletes very quickly initially to a more solid usage range from 60kms and lower. As you know and have stated, the temps make a large difference as well as what accessory features you use within the vehicle.
Combined means miles traveled plus range left. It's 7 mi. to work plus 41 mi. on range display for total of 48 mi. Then 6 mi. trip + 43 mi. on range display = 49 miles. Lunch time I drove another 26 mi. for a total of 39.1 mi. with 10 mi. range left for a total range of 49.1 miles. Usually going home the 7 mi. trip I only use 5 mi. for a final total range of 51 mi.

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the explanation of combined. When your doing these trips, are they done in Hybrid mode or all EV mode. I find when running Hybrid mode and I do not over accelerate I always remain in electric mode (ICE never comes on), not much different that if i was in EV mode. Like I said above even in Hybrid or EV mode the ability to increase the HV mileage level of charging requires coasting to increase the battery level of km's to next full charge again when plugged in.

Keep those tips coming, with our warmer weather here in Toronto area mileage is always getting better.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
Everyday now I'm getting low 50's mi. range when I get home at the end of the day. So it looks like you should be able to get mid 50's range during the Summer time. Then that begs the question what could be the max range and how to go about doing it? The obvious is slow down to around 35 mph which gives you minimal drag and pick a route with the least steep climbing, flat would be ideal. Tall wind would also help with minimizing acceleration and use coasting in neutral, regen is less efficient. Don't use any electrical accessories like AC/Heater. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm sure for some this is a waist of time, but the day could come where you accidently run out of gas and have minimal charge with no close gas station/charging station nearby, what can you do?

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
I seem to be getting higher battery charge mileage, but I do find that anything over the 60kms capacity usually burns off a lot quicker than anything below that. I am surprised that I have been able to get the charge capacity in excess of the vehicles rated mileage. I do find that coasting is the key in getting that battery charge range to a higher value. Sorry for the km readings but I am in Canada. The 83 km = 51 miles!

Font Circle Logo Number Brand

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Something odd happened this weekend, I made a 300 mi. trip up to Mooresville, NC stayed with Daughter's family, charged up on 120v outlet and assumed it was to 100%. When I had stopped I had about 7 mi. left but when I got in the car to go home the range was 13 mi. so I switched it to EV Later from EV Now. The range changed to 24 mi. and 75% SOC on the ScanGaugeII, weird so I weighted to change to EV Now when I had 32 mi. to go and made it home with 2 mi. left on range display, gaining 10 miles of range. I ended up getting 59 mpg for the trip.

Paul

161 - 180 of 216 Posts