2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a fun drive this morning and put a couple hundred miles on my new Escape... I found out something which might be in the manual but I don't have insomnia so I haven't read most of it yet...

If the tranny is in "S"port mode, the S-S feature defaults to off on the lower dashboard...And it will not turn the engine off at a stop with the brake on...

I do still use it sometimes and I have rented vehicles in Europe with it so it is not alien to me; I just don't want it all the time...I have seen no real world changes in fuel mileage but I do drive a bit harder than most I am certain but I am seeing over 330+ miles per tank before my low fuel warning comes on...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree. its a useless feature that will shorten battery and starter life. Fot the pennies it will save in gas will never be offsetted by battery and starter replacement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree. its a useless feature that will shorten battery and starter life. Fot the pennies it will save in gas will never be offsetted by battery and starter replacement.
Wish they would make it a optional feature. That is the only thing that would deter me from getting a 2017 FE. Being retired I do not put enough miles on my vehicle to make it worth having. I know you can disable it by pushing a button but still would rather have it be my decision if I want it on my vehicle or not.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I like to believe that the starter has been beefed up to account for the extra load and would not need more frequent replacement.

i have not searched part number, so its just a belief at this time.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Wish they would make it a optional feature. That is the only thing that would deter me from getting a 2017 FE. Being retired I do not put enough miles on my vehicle to make it worth having. I know you can disable it by pushing a button but still would rather have it be my decision if I want it on my vehicle or not.
Exactly. An option would be good

·
Registered
860 Posts
I like to believe that the starter has been beefed up to account for the extra load and would not need more frequent replacement.

i have not searched part number, so its just a belief at this time.
Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Likely Ford needs it to help their city fuel economy numbers. In addition to making the window sticker look nicer with a higher number, it also helps their CAFE numbers. You're going to see more of these kinds of features being standard to help manufacturers hit the aggressive CAFE numbers of the future.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You are probably right about the CAFE numbers. I guess its better than going to a CVT trans to raise their numbers, which I am not a fan of. Love the FE 6 speed auto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took a fun drive this morning and put a couple hundred miles on my new Escape... I found out something which might be in the manual but I don't have insomnia so I haven't read most of it yet...

If the tranny is in "S"port mode, the S-S feature defaults to off on the lower dashboard...And it will not turn the engine off at a stop with the brake on...

I do still use it sometimes and I have rented vehicles in Europe with it so it is not alien to me; I just don't want it all the time...I have seen no real world changes in fuel mileage but I do drive a bit harder than most I am certain but I am seeing over 330+ miles per tank before my low fuel warning comes on...

330+ to a tank that's awesome. I'm looking to pick one up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are probably right about the CAFE numbers. I guess its better than going to a CVT trans to raise their numbers, which I am not a fan of. Love the FE 6 speed auto.
I have previously not liked CVTs, but the last vehicle I drove with a CVT (2015ish Toyota Corolla S - a rental in Canada) did surprisingly well. It felt like it was always in the correct gear, whether under heavy or light acceleration and had plenty of power for passing on the highway (downshifting). I don't like Nissan or Subaru's CVT - both felt weird to drive and felt weaker than previous generations of the same vehicle with conventional automatics. If the Toyota unit is the wave of the future and reliability is good, I say bring it on.

That said, my transmission preferences prior to the Toyota CVT were:
Manual
Wet clutch DCT
Conventional auto
Dry clutch DCT
CVT

Now, I'd probably put the CVT on one of the sides of the conventional auto. I'm partial to a good manual but realize that a well designed automatic today will easily outperform me driving a manual.

Reactions: monty940

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes the Escape has a starter to handle all the restarts. The battery has been beefed up also to handle the restarts. Now that the temps have risen to the mid 90s here in Texas start stop function will be override due to extreme weather conditions. 2017 escape se.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start/Stop wear and tear

I have questioned many mechanics about the start/stop technology. Even if you have a stronger battery and starter, everyone agrees that starting your engine always puts extra wear on your engine since the oil will drain down to the pan and the rings and cylinder walls will get more wear during starting. Over time, the engine has to wear out quicker than if there was no start/stop.

Now to boot, yesterday my 2017 Escape went completely dead. No lights or starting. Completely DEAD! I had to have roadside assistance tow it back to the dealership where the service advisor told me he already had a couple of vehicles do this. They had to reprogram the module responsible for start/stop.

Hello Ford, if you are seeing these post, get rid of this useless technology!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,654 Posts
I don't think engine wear will be a big issue as it takes a long time for all the oil to drain back to the sump. I know here in Australia taxis often rack up huge distances without engine rebuilds- they're often getting stopped and restarted but with an engine and oil system up to working temperature. Repeated cold starts are bad for engine wear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like the on/off feature and only turn it off when it is an extremely hot day. The first time I used this technology was on a rental car in Europe. On that one, the engine didn't start until you stepped on the gas. By having it start when you release the brake, there is no hesitation and it works great in my opinion.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have questioned many mechanics about the start/stop technology. Even if you have a stronger battery and starter, everyone agrees that starting your engine always puts extra wear on your engine since the oil will drain down to the pan and the rings and cylinder walls will get more wear during starting. Over time, the engine has to wear out quicker than if there was no start/stop.

Now to boot, yesterday my 2017 Escape went completely dead. No lights or starting. Completely DEAD! I had to have roadside assistance tow it back to the dealership where the service advisor told me he already had a couple of vehicles do this. They had to reprogram the module responsible for start/stop.
This makes me wonder, if the dealer can reprogram the module... can they permanently disable start/stop as well so that it defaults to off instead of on when you start the vehicle? There has to be some way to program the computer to never enable S/S if you want

·
Registered
284 Posts
roadshow
I'm with you. When someone figures it out I'm all in. I'm going to pay the dealership a visit on Monday. Maybe there's an app for that. I can only hope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are several videos on You Tube demonstrating how to disable start stop on the Ford F150 2.7 Ecoboost. All that is needed is to short the disable switch with a jumper wire apparently. Don't know if simolar strategy would work on the Escape though. Personally, I like the feature.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts