2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
'17 Start / Stop?

I did a search on how to permanently disable the "Stop / Start feature. I found this:
Any comments? Will this work? Anyone have a better idea?

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I am seeing over 330+ miles per tank before my low fuel warning comes on...

I think you will find that the 2017 FE has a larger gas tank?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Permanent way to disable Stop/Start feature on a 2017?

Is there a way to permanently disable to Auto Start/Stop feature on a 2017 Escape?

Depressing the dash button gets tiring over a period of time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Is there a way to permanently disable to Auto Start/Stop feature on a 2017 Escape?

Depressing the dash button gets tiring over a period of time.
There is not. Some have tried to see if it is possible with some programming stuff but to no avail as of yet.

You might get a message about searching soon, juts letting you know.

·
Registered
230 Posts
No one on here has tried to bypass the dash switch? Per the Youtube video for a F150? I have searched this subject--got a whole page of threads. The ones that seemed the most hopeful-- didn't seem to offer a solution. And they were dated.

And I seem to remember that someone suggested leaving the defroster on to make the computer disengage the S/S feature.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
7 Posts
I permanently disabled mine on my 2017 FE SE. You need to remove the trim holding the stop/start switch to unplug the harness connection to the switch.

I then made a 1" jumper and connected the white wire and black/purple wire if I recall correctly on the harness plug.

Then I plugged the switch back on the harness and reattached the trim. When I turn on the ignition the switch indicates 'off' all the time. It's been that way for four months now and worksave flawlessly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Likely Ford needs it to help their city fuel economy numbers. In addition to making the window sticker look nicer with a higher number, it also helps their CAFE numbers. You're going to see more of these kinds of features being standard to help manufacturers hit the aggressive CAFE numbers of the future.

I am sure the start/stop technology has its ups and downs. the Escape S does not have that feature. just use the key to start it and stop it which works fine for us. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't use it but since the button is close to the shifter it's no big problem hitting it when I start the FE and put it in gear. Once in a while I forget and when Im at a stop and it shuts off I hit the button and it starts back up and is bypassed. On the F-150 in the video its on top so I can see that being a little pain.

Thing is, like in that video, I don't know if I would use that "jumper wire" left connected like that all the time.
The switch is a "momentary push button" which means when you push it, you make a quick connection, and when the button comes back out, there is no more connection. Maybe a Relay is being energized or something ? Not sure, but if it's a "momentary push button" and your permanently using a jumper wire to make a permanent connection I would be worried about doing that. The jumper wire is energizing something all the time, not just for a second like when you push the button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I permanently disabled mine on my 2017 FE SE. You need to remove the trim holding the stop/start switch to unplug the harness connection to the switch.

I then made a 1" jumper and connected the white wire and black/purple wire if I recall correctly on the harness plug.

Then I plugged the switch back on the harness and reattached the trim. When I turn on the ignition the switch indicates 'off' all the time. It's been that way for four months now and worksave flawlessly.
And the jumper hasn't caused the check engine light to turn on? I'm not trying to argue with success but it just seems odd that the computer doesn't recognize that the momentary switch is now constantly in the pressed on position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No .... there are no codes generated on the odb 2 scanner either. It's evident that the OBC reads the jumpered switch as in the off position. I doubt that there are any relays involved as evidenced the can- bus design.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Old vic, that start/stop feature would be a deal breaker for me. With an easy work around like this, I can put the Escape back near the top of our list of cars to look at for our next purchase.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks Old vic, that start/stop feature would be a deal breaker for me. With an easy work around like this, I can put the Escape back near the top of our list of cars to look at for our next purchase.
I thought I only felt the same way. My 1st choice was for a new Escape. Soon as I seen the Stop/start thing I though "forget that" hassle to hit that button all the time. Then other options for small SUV either had low Horsepower engines and no choices, CVT transmission which I knew I would not like. So I was back to the Escape. Shift lever is right by the stop/ start button so it's 99% automatic I hit the button to bypass and never think about it, and the one or 2 times I forget when I come to a stop I hit the button, starts back up, and I'm good to go. It really became an automatic thing to hit the button so it's no problem. I thought it would be a major pain having to do it every time. Was told before they might be working on being able to program it the other way. Off all the time and on with the button but haven't heard any updates. I happen to go past the deal earlier today and didn't think of it I could have ran in there and asked the service tech I sorta got to know if it was possible.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I seem to remember that someone suggested leaving the defroster on to make the computer disengage the S/S feature.

YES that's what I am doing now and it works fine in "heat" mode. I hope it works as well in A/C mode

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
No .... there are no codes generated on the odb 2 scanner either. It's evident that the OBC reads the jumpered switch as in the off position. I doubt that there are any relays involved as evidenced the can- bus design.

Personally, I don't have enough confidence in my self to try the "jumper" thing. With my luck I'd cause a fire and not only would I not have a car but I would be homeless too. Car's in the attached garage lol
Leaving the defroster on works ok for me ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
The start/stop feature was enough for us NOT to purchase the new escape(Are you listening Ford?) and a CRV was purchased instead:(

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,130 Posts
IMO, seems like a really lame way to decide against a vehicle. Especially on a feature that is so easy to disable for each trip. I think you just wanted to rant a little on a feature you and your wife didn't like. I am also guessing that you would have gotten the CRV even if Ford did have a permanent way to disable this feature.

Anyway, I highly doubt Ford is worrying too much about you getting your CRV instead of a FE.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
IMO, seems like a really lame way to decide against a vehicle. Especially on a feature that is so easy to disable for each trip. I think you just wanted to rant a little on a feature you and your wife didn't like. I am also guessing that you would have gotten the CRV even if Ford did have a permanent way to disable this feature.
Yep, I would completely agree. I still don't understand everyone's distaste for start/stop. Every drop of fuel burned while sitting at a stop is completely wasted. What's wrong with a system that limits this waste?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts