2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Yep, I would completely agree. I still don't understand everyone's distaste for start/stop. Every drop of fuel burned while sitting at a stop is completely wasted. What's wrong with a system that limits this waste?
I agree, and I bet this system will eventually be more wide spread in other manufacturers. Probably even Honda will eventually implement this into the CRV

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep, I would completely agree. I still don't understand everyone's distaste for start/stop. Every drop of fuel burned while sitting at a stop is completely wasted. What's wrong with a system that limits this waste?
I don't get the dislike either. I barely notice it. :confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just drive in S mode. I don't like it because the AC starts blowing warm air, when pulled out in left turn lane and wheel is turned less than 1 turn it seems to still turn off, not good being right on the edge of needing to accelerate immediately, not .5 seconds after it starts back up. I know that the wheel turned to a certain amount it will disable, but I rarely do that and need to accelerate immediately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also found it very easy to get into the habit of turning off the feature at the start, and sometimes I forget and don't really notice it for awhile. If wheels are turned, when parking, or vehicle is in park, when opening a gate with the engine running, it doesn't shut off anyway. For most average trips it won't make much difference in the overall driving experience, but stop and go traffic engages stop/start more frequently. If it ever becomes noticeable without actually looking for it, it's real easy to disengage.

This feature had no effect on my car buying decision, and having lived with it for a month, it still wouldn't.

·
Registered
339 Posts
For all of you that like the SS, how do you like it in the summer when the SS kicks in and the compressor stops because the motor stopped running at a long traffic signal and you are dressed in a suit or is there a sensor that keeps the motor running in hot climates?

I'd like to hear from people that live in hot climates.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It was 98 degrees on Sunday, and I never felt SS kick in, and I was driving in D. When it is only around 90 it kicks in, but starts back up pretty quickly. It does blow warm air and is noticeable but to me it starts back up fairly quickly to start cooling the car off again. Only issue with it was my wife felt warm air and fiddled with the auto temp for the AC, taking it down to 60 degrees, then later complained about being cold.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you like you may have a look at the way we in Europe deal with this.
It takes just a relay to have it turned of until you switch it back on
https://www.ford-suv-freunde.com/t857f142-Start-Stop-beim-Fahrzeugstart-deaktivieren.html
look at post 6
That is a really simple circuit. Good job. It momentarily closes the SS switch on startup. You can still use the SS switch as normal to activate or deactivate. You guys in Europe are on top of things. Much better than just junpering the SS switch which may cause problems in time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone--I have found on mine that if you do not depress the brake pedal all the way after stopping, the engine will continue to run. Also after you stop and engine stops, if you let it start it will keep running with brakes on.

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know it has been a while, but I just thought I'd add this. I still don't like Auto Stop Start, but I don't hate it as much as I did earlier. Most of the time it "disables" it's self anyway. Weather here has been cooler than normal, but still warm with low to mid 90's for daytime highs. So when I pull up to a light, the a/c shuts down and the cabin starts getting warmer. In just 10-15 seconds the car starts itself back up anyway. So I guess if we had normal weather, which at this time of year would still be in the high 90's, it might only shut down long enough to stop and then restart. The other thing is that when I do stop, most of the time I lighten up the pressure on the brake pedal and the car starts back up. So about the only good it does is . . . is . . . uh . . .is . . .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Start Stop

Driving our 2018 Escape Titanium, I noticed that it wouldn't turn off if the defrost was utilized, turn the defrost off leaving just the floor vent on and it would turn off. Only 200 miles so still trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Driving our 2018 Escape Titanium, I noticed that it wouldn't turn off if the defrost was utilized, turn the defrost off leaving just the floor vent on and it would turn off. Only 200 miles so still trying to figure this out.
I just leave it in Sport mode where the stop/start doesn't work.

Car is more responsive and in my experience doesn't make any difference to fuel consumption.

If you do not want the stop/start feature it's a real pain to remember to turn it off every time you start the car and use normal auto mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also found it very easy to get into the habit of turning off the feature at the start, and sometimes I forget and don't really notice it for awhile. If wheels are turned, when parking, or vehicle is in park, when opening a gate with the engine running, it doesn't shut off anyway. For most average trips it won't make much difference in the overall driving experience, but stop and go traffic engages stop/start more frequently. If it ever becomes noticeable without actually looking for it, it's real easy to disengage.

This feature had no effect on my car buying decision, and having lived with it for a month, it still wouldn't.
I used the following method to disable the auto-stop function. I purchased a UV glue pen. While pressing the auto-stop button, I ran a small, almost invisible bead of UV glue around the button. Cured the glue with the UV light and DONE. bouldercosoon.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts