2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium at the end of June. I am still trying to figure out how to lock the doors using the black button on the outside handle. Sometimes its seems to work by simply holding the button in. However, other times this is not the case. Sometimes it works if I try to push on the side nearest the rear of the car. Other times if I re-open and close the door, I am able to lock it by pushing on the button. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the videos on the ford website.

Thanks

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
As long as you have the keys on you within range of the proximity antenna, without grabbing the handle just press the black button without touching the inside handle. The doors should just lock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I was sure that there was something simple I was missing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah it's just a matter of having the fob on you to make it work, it's like that with a lot of cars, even some with a push start button.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If you don't have the key's on you, simply lock it using your keypad
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your 1,000th post to this forum! Your post count reads 999 as I'm writing, but probably not for long, and it's better to be a little early than a little late in offering kudos. :) You're the first member to reach four figures, right? That makes you the dean of Ford Escape commentary, at least here (still a pretty young forum).

Reactions: pilotattitude

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your 1,000th post to this forum! Your post count reads 999 as I'm writing, but probably not for long, and it's better to be a little early than a little late in offering kudos. :) You're the first member to reach four figures, right? That makes you the dean of Ford Escape commentary, at least here (still a pretty young forum).

Thanks.. I checked once in a blue moon, I knew I was close.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium at the end of June. I am still trying to figure out how to lock the doors using the black button on the outside handle. Sometimes its seems to work by simply holding the button in. However, other times this is not the case. Sometimes it works if I try to push on the side nearest the rear of the car. Other times if I re-open and close the door, I am able to lock it by pushing on the button. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the videos on the ford website.

Thanks

Bob
Just a light fingertip touch/tap on the black pad - no push button, no grasping. Like when using a smart phone, tablet, etc. Enjoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is what I have noticed and discussed on another forum I belong to for another vehicle (non Ford) I own. But it seems that for both of my vehicles that the touch to lock/unlock works just fine unless I have my phone (iPhone) and fob in the same pocket.

Also, for both my FE and other car. If I have the fob in my pocket when washing either vehicle the doors will continually lock and unlock. Both when I'm spraying the car with the hose or touching the car with a wet sponge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, I went through that problem initially to. To lock, DO NOT wrap your and around the handle...simply press the black button with a finger. You can confirm its locked by watching the yellow LED light up on the IP, near the volume control.

Also, be careful at the car wash. I left the Smartkeyfob in the car as it went through. When the attendant got out, he accidentally locked the door by touching the button on the handle. Then, even though the fob was in the console, we couldn't unlock it. Had to use a ballon style tool to spread the upper door away enough to slip in a long coat hanger wire to pull the handle. NOW, I separate the physical key from the fob and leave the fob in the car in the car wash. That way, if it locks, I have the physical key to unlock it, if necessary.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, I went through that problem initially to. To lock, DO NOT wrap your and around the handle...simply press the black button with a finger. You can confirm its locked by watching the yellow LED light up on the IP, near the volume control.

Also, be careful at the car wash. I left the Smartkeyfob in the car as it went through. When the attendant got out, he accidentally locked the door by touching the button on the handle. Then, even though the fob was in the console, we couldn't unlock it. Had to use a ballon style tool to spread the upper door away enough to slip in a long coat hanger wire to pull the handle. NOW, I separate the physical key from the fob and leave the fob in the car in the car wash. That way, if it locks, I have the physical key to unlock it, if necessary.
Bummer last thing I would want is to bend the upper door frame. Your Escape must not have this:

KEYLESS ENTRY
(IF EQUIPPED)
SECURICODE™ KEYLESS ENTRY
KEYPAD

You can use the keypad to:
• lock or unlock the doors
• program and erase user codes
• arm and disarm the anti-theft alarm.
You can operate the keypad with the
factory-set 5-digit entry code. The code is
located on the owner’s wallet card in the
glove box and is available from your
authorized dealer. You can also create up
to five of your own 5-digit personal entry

codes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It does, but I'm the 2nd owner and I did not receive the code when I bought it. Dealer claimed they couldn't get it or change it. So, my outside keypad is useless

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Titanium the dealer had to register the factory door keypad code during the sale of the vehicle into a database in case I lost all my documentation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
KLHansen: Yes, thanks. I was exploring the Escape site last evening, and found a couple of posts describing that location. I found it today, and yes, IT WORKED! Thanks to the site for delivering info the dealer was unable to provide! My remote keypad is now programmed with my own code and a working feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts