2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Awesome find , @aruek, I knew I saw something somewhere about off roading. Its nice to know it has the capability, but probably won't see me out there with my 18" all seasons. lol.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Awesome video, that looked like it had 16 or 17in tires and they were aired down. Also the sand was wet about 6in down, nun less the little Kunga did very well. Very impressive.
Sand likes horsepower and RPM, it would be nice to know which engine the Kunga in the video had, just think what it would have done with a 2.0L ecobeast (I really like the sound of that).
Mark

·
Registered
759 Posts
Also remember that you don't want to park on sand cause you'll sink. If you keep moving its a lot easier than stopping or parking

·
Registered
875 Posts
Awesome video, that looked like it had 16 or 17in tires and they were aired down. Also the sand was wet about 6in down, nun less the little Kunga did very well. Very impressive.
Sand likes horsepower and RPM, it would be nice to know which engine the Kunga in the video had, just think what it would have done with a 2.0L ecobeast (I really like the sound of that).
Mark
I believe it is the diesel engine sold in Argentina.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
310 Posts
Neat to see on sand. Did you notice all the steep hill shots showed the Escape gravity assisted on the hill and not climbing up? I wonder how often you'd need to take the inter-cooler apart and clean it, looked like the nose of the car got stuffed into the loose sand a couple of times

·
Registered
164 Posts
I stay off the beach my son, God Bless Him left is Moms van on the beach one night, and was partying >:D some, and the tide came in..:eek: We found it about a mile down! the beach next low tide>> all i could do was lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know these are second generation Escapes in the video below, but remember you have an even more capable 4WD system in the third generation 2013/2014 Escapes.

Ford Escape Hybrids Making a Living on the Beach - YouTube

No special tires required for sand, just air down to 15 psi, turn off the traction control, and take it easy. If you start to get stuck just stop and back out in your tracks. Spinning the tires only digs in and gets you more stuck. Also trying to go too fast causes sand to pile up in front of the tires creating too much resistance and over heating.

The Escape turns out to be very capable on sand once you understand how and where to drive on it. I've driven my 2012 Escape on the beach many times with no problems and I'm looking forward to taking my new 2014 there in the Spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just drove our 2013 escape on access 27 obx with no problems at all. Took the tires to 18psi and turned off traction control. Did better than our 2003 expedition.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Just drove our 2013 escape on access 27 obx with no problems at all. Took the tires to 18psi and turned off traction control. Did better than our 2003 expedition.
Did the low tire pressure light come on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah it came on. Im using regular lower profile tires nothing fancy. I just kept it below 45mph when driving roads. Going out again today i'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

·
Registered
906 Posts

Good to know. You're way down there. Are you on obxconnection.com at all? Been going to Corolla since 1990.

Just bought the recovery (tow) hook, just in case. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Day 3 still no problems. Went through some deeper sand and she did fine. Me and the wife are happy. I checked out that site looks like alot of good info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own a place on the LongBeach Peninsula in Southwest Washington State. We have the nation's longest drivable beach. Our 2015 escape flies right the the very softest sand out there with total ease. The only vehicle I have had that does as well was my 2002 f150 4X4 Super cab with the light 4.6 V8 in it. It also had much wider tires. The escape just drives like through like its nothing. We love it on the sand!!

WeldZilla

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI everyone, Just looking to get the discussion restarted on this thread. We frequent Assateague Va a lot. Curious to see if anyone has had any more experience with the 3G's on the sand.

·
Super Moderator
2,076 Posts
You might run into issues with the AWD system over heating if you're planning on doing extended periods on sand. It's not really designed for sustained AWD operation.

I got mine almost stuck in some sand- it didn't want to proceed further forward after I'd stopped briefly. I reversed a bit (needed to use a bit of throttle to get it moving) did a U turn and got out of there. The AWD worked in that case.

There are a lot of good previous posts regarding momentum and using higher profile tyres that can be aired down. Little things like reversing back a metre or two if you're stopping is also a good idea, then you're on compacted sand to get some momentum up when you drive off again.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts