2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Vehicle background: 2013 Escape SE 2.0 with 103k miles. Drives great and has been taken very good care of since I acquired it at 28k miles. Never missed an oil change and it gets a multipoint inspection at every oil chance. Only issues I've ever had was replacing the CV axle a few hundred miles ago when getting a 100k mile check-up.

Issue: Earlier today, while driving around 40 mph, it started making an odd humming sound (not a vibration, just a loud hum)...I couldn't tell if it was in the front or the back of the vehicle...a few seconds later I slow down to make a left turn and the engine cuts off completely. Lights/radio/electrical all stayed on...just the engine cut off. I stopped and immediately tried cranking it and it didn't want to crank, sounded like when you're trying to crank a car that's low on gas or a dying battery. The battery/alternator is fine. A few seconds later I tried cranking it again and it finally cranked and I was able to drive it and it drove normal. I will confess I was about 35 miles to E on the gas tank (I was actually on my way to fill up). I'm never constantly driving it on low gas...I fill up my car completely and then I drive it until about 30-35 miles till E, then I fill it up again. I do this every time. Anyways...after I filled her up, it didn't want to crank. Did the same exact thing as earlier when I tried cranking. A few seconds later on the second attempt, it finally started and I was able to drive it home. It drove fine. I'm going to drop it off w/ a mechanic in the morning...does this sound like a fuel pump issue? I haven't heard the humming anymore other than the one time. Any help/info/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Mmmm..that's odd. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice since I never had that happen to my Escape but hopefully the shop can find something. Good luck!

Reactions: '13Escape2.0SI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmmm..that's odd. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice since I never had that happen to my Escape but hopefully the shop can find something. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply.

So, I bring it to the mechanics I trust and have used for 15 years to get them to check it out and of course, it drives perfect for them. After giving it a once over and driving it a good bit it gives them no issues. So I picked it up today and it's driving fine. I dunno, this is a head scratcher...could it have been bad gas? I use only premium and I never constantly drive it on low. I fill her up every time I get gas.

Anyways, they suggest I keep driving it until it does it again, if it does. There's not really much they can do.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

So, I bring it to the mechanics I trust and have used for 15 years to get them to check it out and of course, it drives perfect for them. After giving it a once over and driving it a good bit it gives them no issues. So I picked it up today and it's driving fine. I dunno, this is a head scratcher...could it have been bad gas? I use only premium and I never constantly drive it on low. I fill her up every time I get gas.

Anyways, they suggest I keep driving it until it does it again, if it does. There's not really much they can do.
That reminds me of an issue I had when I owned a 2001 Ford Focus. I was away from home in a much larger city with my brother all the sudden my car basically starts choking on the highway. I was lucky it had enough power to get off the exit and into a gas station parking lot. The car wasn't smoking and everything else checked out. I had it hauled away to a dealership and they kept it for a whole day driving it here and there without issue. It was frustrating. All the sudden they called me back and said the '01 Focus was known to have fuel pump issues. Basically the pump was stop working when there was less then a half of tank of gas but more then that it would be fine. They basically put a stronger fuel pump in my car and my car never failed again due to the same problem.

I would ask them to see if there have been any

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I've been researching 2013 Ford Escapes with the same symptoms you talked about and some of them said the issue was the fuel sensor or the fuel pump control module needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's still driving fine. But I've noticed another thing that has started to happen which may or may not be related.... yesterday when I cranked up my vehicle (it cranked fine btw)...as I started to reverse out of my driveway my power steering didn't seem to work for about a second then it seemed to work.

Well, this morning a similar thing happened. Cranked her up fine...as I'm reversing backwards the power steering wasn't working for about 5 seconds and then it seemed to kick in and work?

Is this all related??

Note: the temp has started to drop in the past few weeks. Used to be 80 degrees every morning...now it's in the 50s/60s. Not sure if this would have anything to do. Could this be a battery/alternator issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...it did it again today. Engine cut off while slowing down to turn onto a highway. After a couple of attempts to crank it it, it finally started and I was able to drive it. It drove fine. Took it to the nearest Oreillys. They tested the battery, alternator and starter and everything is fine. I'm not getting any check engine lights or codes of any kind. Looks like I'm going to have to bring it back to the mechanic. This is confusing and frustrating at the same time...

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I hope they get it this time. :mad::(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction: Oreillys was able to read a code:

P1450 - "Fuel tank vacuum can not bleed"

I have no idea what this means but I've googled it and it's common. From other post this doesn't seem promising or a cheap fix...

O'Reilly's code database says the most probable component to replace would be the EVAP PURGE SOLENOID VALVE...anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: took it to a certified Ford dealer/shop. Their diagnosis was the canister purge solenoid needed to be replaced. So they replaced it. Total cost out the door: 400 bucks. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,741 Posts
Their diagnosis was the canister purge solenoid needed to be replaced. So they replaced it. Total cost out the door: 400 bucks. Ugh.
Is it fixed? It could be something else electrical if it isn't. Battery terminal corrosion and wiring loom faults are two things I can recall causing similar problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it fixed? It could be something else electrical if it isn't. Battery terminal corrosion and wiring loom faults are two things I can recall causing similar problems.
*knocks on wood

It appears to be fixed. It's driving fine now and has not stalled anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same ongoing problem every time you get gas in the vehicle it will die the first time you try to turn it over after fueling then the second time i have to give it gas to get it started after i take off it seems to run fine until i need gas again or randomly ill be driving and it will have that humming noise in the back right of car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,741 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts