2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew there would be a stiff penalty to road trip driving, but I'm kind of astounded how bad it is in the hybrid.

On a recent trip to Texas from New Mexico, we averaged 29 mpg. Granted, this was with a fully loaded car, and lots of 80+ mph driving, but I'm still surprised it was under 30. My lifted 4runner gets 16 mpg on the same route xD

Anyway, anyone doing better with long trips? Is the 2.0Turbo better at highway driving? Just curious what everyone's experiences were.

·
Registered
7 Posts
End of March on a trip from Dallas/Fort Worth to Austin and back, we got 33. The car said 35. The car has always been 10% optimistic. This is a 2020 Titanium Hybrid. There was some city driving while in Austin, but mostly Highway.

just finished a trip to PA and back in a Ram 1500 V8 Hemi and averaged 21. :)

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
73 Posts
A month ago, we drove from south side of Houston to Austin, spent a few days and then back home, got right at 34mpg both ways.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
480 Posts
we averaged 29 mpg. Granted, this was with a fully loaded car, and lots of 80+ mph driving
Sounds about right!

Extrapolating some of my warm-weather data, driving over 80 should push your mileage under 30 MPG.
(winter data shows seasonal effect)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds about right!
View attachment 79408
Extrapolating some of my warm-weather data, driving over 80 should push your mileage under 30 MPG.
(winter data shows seasonal effect)
That is beautiful. Now I really want to do the math of whether faster travel vs longer distance between fillups is the answer xD

That also tracks very closely with what I've seen.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anyway, anyone doing better with long trips? Is the 2.0Turbo better at highway driving? Just curious what everyone's experiences were.
Yes, turbo 2.0 continues to amaze me with highway mpg. Had a recent trip where I got to 37mpg in first half then by the end of the trip it was 35.5. Speed was between 60-80 mph and I had cruise control and eco on entire time. Car was half loaded with two people and my tires are low in air. Pretty sure this can get even better if you live in less hilly area.
Also worth noting that my last 2019 rav4 hybrid was giving me roughly same hwy mpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
This past weekend I drove about 332 miles from Boston, MA area to Acadia National Park. I filled the tank, as the gauge showed I had about half a tank remaining. It took 7.5 gallons.
Over the next three days, I drove around Mt Desert Island, approx 133 miles. I filled the tank just before driving back to the Boston area. The tank took 2.2 gallons.
After arriving home, I filled the tank. It took about 7.3 gallons.

Most of my travel to/from Maine were via I-95, which has speed limits ranging from 55mph up to 70mph.
On the way up north, I drove mostly around 70mph. On the way back, I drove faster.
My travel on Mt Desert Island was on very hilly two-lane roads, with speed limits generally ranging from 25 to 55mph.

If one is not achieving good mpg with the Escape hybrid, I suggest two things:
1) Drive in Eco mode. Doing so, I’ve been able to run in electric/battery mode on interstates at speeds up to the high 70’s.
2) Watch a YouTube video on how to drive a hybrid to maximize mpg. Last year, someone posted a link to his video on this topic. I found it very worthwhile. I’ll mention here how I now rarely use cruise control on interstates, and it‘s because of that video.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That dynamic cruise control on the interstates is the best feature, why suffer over a few mpg savings. Generally though hybrids are overrated for MPGs at high speeds. You have to be hardcore hypermiler to get any benefit. After all you are just pulling extra weight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That dynamic cruise control on the interstates is the best feature, why suffer over a few mpg savings. Generally though hybrids are overrated for MPGs at high speeds. You have to be hardcore hypermiler to get any benefit. After all you are just pulling extra weight.
I have the SE Sport hybrid. Don’t have that feature.

And remember, just because someone does things differently, doesn’t mean they are “suffering.”

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the SE Sport hybrid. Don’t have that feature.

And remember, just because someone does things differently, doesn’t mean they are “suffering.”
I forget that Ford is greedy to not offer this as a standard feature for all trims like others are doing. In my last trip I had Edge rental and put 1000 miles. It didn't have dynamic cruise either and it was tiring to drive without it.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
480 Posts
Generally though hybrids are overrated for MPGs at high speeds. You have to be hardcore hypermiler to get any benefit. After all you are just pulling extra weight.
Not this one. I am consistently impressed with its high speed fuel economy. That's 62 MPH average on cruise.
Dash VT midpoint_20210527.jpg

OK, I had one heck of a tailwind...

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not this one. I am consistently impressed with its high speed fuel economy. That's 62 MPH average on cruise.
View attachment 79474
OK, I had one heck of a tailwind...
I am pretty sure you will double the mileage I am getting if you had 2.0L even without tailwind.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Our 2020 hybrid gets about 32 ish on the highway. Its main purpose is for my wife's daily commute back and forth from work, 7 miles each way in stop and go traffic. Thats the best part.....mid 40s mpg in that situation is common.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, OP’s problem is driving so fast...it’s all about wind resistance. The power to move the car goes up with the CUBE of velocity.

i recently got 39mpg and 42mpg tanks (calculated) on a recent road trip; however, this was up into the rural North WI & upper peninsula of MI where speeds were ~60mph and minimal head/tail wind. It drops off fast above 65 in my experience.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I could see getting redonculous MPGs at 50-60mph with 2.0L turbo. This is hardly even trying on relatively flat surface though short distance with plenty of tail wind.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You are not playing a fair game here but let me get on that mountain first :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts