2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and was sent by a commenter on my YouTube video about the water. But basically I opened the storage area where the spare tire and I look down and noticed a collection of water that the tire was sitting in. I took the tire out and pulled up the floor liner and have been drying to for a day now. I do not know how so much water accumulated in this spare tire storage area behind the rear seat. I was caught in a rain storm and had the back hatch open but this doesn't seem to explain how so much water accumulated. If anyone has ever had this experience let me know. I have not driven through any deep water and no one has hosed out the back of the car.

I made a youtube video explaining what happened which illustrates the problem, but I am not allowed to post the link. My YouTube channel is called MBelfs and it is my latest video (I only have 15 videos) if you are curious about what this all looks like.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
I am new here and was sent by a commenter on my YouTube video about the water. But basically I opened the storage area where the spare tire and I look down and noticed a collection of water that the tire was sitting in. I took the tire out and pulled up the floor liner and have been drying to for a day now. I do not know how so much water accumulated in this spare tire storage area behind the rear seat. I was caught in a rain storm and had the back hatch open but this doesn't seem to explain how so much water accumulated. If anyone has ever had this experience let me know. I have not driven through any deep water and no one has hosed out the back of the car.

I made a youtube video explaining what happened which illustrates the problem, but I am not allowed to post the link. My YouTube channel is called MBelfs and it is my latest video (I only have 15 videos) if you are curious about what this all looks like.
Welcome to the forum. You might want to check out one of these existing threads. Once you update your signature with the details of your Escape, other members might be able to help you a lot easier. Or at least point you in the correct direction.

Please anymore questions you may have in one of these existing thread. We really don't need another water leak thread with duplicate information posted.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/exterior-interior/9426-water-leak.html

Water leak from the roof

And if you have a 2017
http://www.fordescape.org/forum/exterior-interior/71754-2017-water-leak-problems.html

There are other threads if you do a search.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of the sides of your roof rack in the back is leaking. It appears you have a 2017 Escape sport.

2016 Escape Titanium here. My Escape has been at the dealer for the last 2 weeks for the exact same issue. Build date: 12/2015.

They replaced/resealed the roof rack to fix the leak.

Now they are waiting on parts to replace the entire headliner they messed up themselves and the soaking wet rubber trunk mat.

Needless to say, I am not very happy that it has taken so long already, and fearing the worst when I get it back. My Escape has to be perfect when I get it back. It's not leaving the dealer until it is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
One of the sides of your roof rack in the back is leaking. It appears you have a 2017 Escape sport.

2016 Escape Titanium here. My Escape has been at the dealer for the last 2 weeks for the exact same issue. Build date: 12/2015.

They replaced/resealed the roof rack to fix the leak.

Now they are waiting on parts to replace the entire headliner they messed up themselves and the soaking wet rubber trunk mat.

Needless to say, I am not very happy that it has taken so long already, and fearing the worst when I get it back. My Escape has to be perfect when I get it back. It's not leaving the dealer until it is.

Poor quality control on Fords part. Since you own a 2017 your full warrenty will cover it. I guess I am lucky and my Wife and I never seen or found any water leaks in our 2013 Escape Titanium 4WD but my 2012 Ford Fiesta had a really small leak in the trunk which I found 2 summers back where the rear spoiler was attached to the trunk lid. I found it out when I was cleaning the car and there was some evidence of water being in the spare tire hold and some rust on the scissor jack. I ended up fixing it my self with some auto body seem sealer that I bought at Advance auto parts which sells Proffesional autobody supplies. I took the cover off the inside of the trunk lid and totally coated the fittings for the rear spoiler with good amount of auto body seem sealer using a small wooden handle artist paint brush and that fixed it up real good and it is always dry now no matter how hard it rains and I checked it several times even after the heaviest of rains and it is always dry now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was going to get some roof rails installed so I can haul canoe or something on top. With the amount of people having issues with leak, I guess it's not worth the trouble. I don't know why Ford screws all the way through the flimsy roof instead of designing something more solid for them to screw to.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your help. Turns out the passenger side roof rail had a massive leak. Dealer's words, not mine. It is at the body shop being fixed and the trunk liner is also being replaced. The dealer gave me Lincoln MKS until this is all fixed!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help. Turns out the passenger side roof rail had a massive leak. Dealer's words, not mine. It is at the body shop being fixed and the trunk liner is also being replaced. The dealer gave me Lincoln MKS until this is all fixed!

Give us a review on the Lincoln MKS. I gave everyone a review on the 2016 Jeep Renagade I drove for a week. Hows that 300 hp 2.3 liter Turbo working for you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Water in spare tire well

2017 escape , no roof racks. There are plastic plugs in that well. I guess you could drill some holes in them.

I found a big bag of desiccant moisture absorber (silica-gel) in there. 4"x4" white bag. That is not enough to absorb an inch of water though. The (2) styrofoam fillers were probably damaged when removed. It is tough to pry out the pushpins, without enlarging the retaining holes.:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
2017 escape , no roof racks. There are plastic plugs in that well. I guess you could drill some holes in them.

I found a big bag of desiccant moisture absorber (silica-gel) in there. 4"x4" white bag. That is not enough to absorb an inch of water though. The (2) styrofoam fillers were probably damaged when removed. It is tough to pry out the pushpins, without enlarging the retaining holes.:(
You have a 2017 Escape with no roof racks and water in your spare tire well?

I wonder how many additional folks this is affecting with realization. Come on Ford.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Water in the spare tire well?

Hi All,

Was poking around my FE today and found standing water about 1/8'' deep in my spare tire well. Checked the upper pillars and headliner to see if there are any water marks or damp spots and there are none... so my assumption is that it didn't come from the roof... unless it still is and I just can't see it...

Any idea what that could be from? Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks- Rahrena

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Some have found it ca come from the grommet where the hatch wiring goes into the body. Others have seen it from the grommet for the outboard taillight wiring.

Wish the Escape had a drain in the well like many older cars did.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Hi All,

Was poking around my FE today and found standing water about 1/8'' deep in my spare tire well. Checked the upper pillars and headliner to see if there are any water marks or damp spots and there are none... so my assumption is that it didn't come from the roof... unless it still is and I just can't see it...

Any idea what that could be from? Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks- Rahrena

I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue. There are a few other threads that might help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem w/ my 2014 Escape... water in the spare tire well. Cleaned out and dried a few times. Turned out to be a crack in the drain hose from the panorama roof. This is the drain that runs out the rear, top of the D pillar on the passenger side, visible when the hatch is open. Had that replaced. Life is good now. There were no stains on the head liner or any other signs of issues with the roof rack.
Ed
2014 escape, 2.0, Titanium AWD, tux black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2013 escape and have been experiencing major water leaking from the back ceiling paneling. It will literally pour water out of each side onto the the floor cover which goes over the spare tire. I've taken the paneling off and tried to see where the water is coming from, but I cannot figure it out. I've searched the forums and feel like I cannot find my same issue. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just bought a used 2013 escape and have been experiencing major water leaking from the back ceiling paneling. It will literally pour water out of each side onto the the floor cover which goes over the spare tire. I've taken the paneling off and tried to see where the water is coming from, but I cannot figure it out. I've searched the forums and feel like I cannot find my same issue. Can anyone help me?
You might want to consider searching on roof rack leaks. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, even cars without the roof rails can get leaks from the existing holes in the roof under the plastic trim strip.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
You might want to consider searching on roof rack leaks. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, even cars without the roof rails can get leaks from the existing holes in the roof under the plastic trim strip.
^This.

The potential water sources up-high in the rear ...
  • OEM holes in all Escape roofs, used either for roof rail brackets or the clips that hold the trim in place if you don't have roof rails.
  • OEM holes for the rooftop antenna mount / wires.
  • The rear window-washer hose that comes all the way from the reservoir under the hood and enters the liftgate at the top (via a body penetration ;-).
  • The bolt-holes for the liftgate hinges.
  • The two rubber 'flex-ducts' between the liftgate and the body.
  • The gasket around the liftgate opening itself.
If you can't tell by inspecting those spots .... pull the trim and get all of the area dry, 'dust' inside metal surfaces with talcum/baby powder, then induce the leak by spraying or wait for it to happen maybe you can follow the trail in the powder to the source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought a used 2016 Titanium last week, 46k miles, noticed water under the spare tire, pulled up the rubber mat and you all know the rest. Interior is currently drying in my house and dehumidifier is running inside the Escape

Yes I have roof racks, yes pano roof. And yes, I have searched and looked through most of the other water leak threads. I know it is probably one of the rear roof racks, however I also checked the drain line for the pano roof, and as far as I could pull the headliner down I did not see that it was messed up/leaking anywhere. NO sign at all of the headliner being wet anywhere, and here in Oregon it's been absolutely pouring all week too. Should I just go for resealing the roof racks? What's the likelyhood of the roof racks leaking even though I could not see any drips coming down through the bolts under the headliner and the absence of a wet headliner? I've seen the mastic being messed up on some threads, would that cause it to leak down the side just out of my sight? Also with a 20 minute water test I did not see any water pooling up anywhere with all the panels pulled to the side. Would it maybe just be an extremely slow leak? Any input or other things to check might be helpful before I pull the racks off. Would also like any reccomendations for a favorite RTV sealer/gasket maker

Also a question. Is water actually designed to drain BEHIND the plastic trim just outside the hatchback weatherstripping? The pano drain line doesn't extend that far past the grommet, theres no way water is not consistently getting behind there. I also noticed the mounts for the power lift gate are under the trim as well where it looks like they would fit just over the trim. Was it not put back together correctly by someone? A picture where you can see the mount should be attached. Look forward to hearing from someone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I've pulled the headliner down as far as I dare and I could see nothing leaking out of the pano roof drain, thought maybe there was a tiny drop when I sprayed the roof rack with the hose, so I took the jump and removed them and think I definitely found the issue. Just like everyone else seems to have said, caulking/mastic was cracked a little and there was definitely a chunk missing in one spot right where I think the water was dripping down.

The strange thing is I cannot trace (if it is coming from the roof rack) where the water is coming in. I couldn't see any lines or drips down the inside of the body. No wet or stains on the headliner. Just a lot of water on the inside back panels at the bottom and under the floor mat was soaked. Been drying for 3 days and it's still not quite there yet. Planning on letting the car fully dry on top without racks and then sealing with permatex black just like in the "how to" video on youtube. Then letting fuly cure before I soak the crap out of it before I put the interior back in. Hope the permatex holds over the missing chunk in the masting, wondering if I should be using a pourable silicone instead over that part? Various pics of some of the cracks and missing part attached. Will report back with results.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts